Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SRT-8 Jeep Wrangler, wow

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 07:18 AM
calichris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT-8 Jeep Wrangler, wow

check out this 6.1 sold on ebay for almost 60k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...21632991QQrdZ1
Old 06-17-07, 09:20 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow. looks stock .
Old 06-17-07, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

That sucker must be able to climb walls.
Old 06-17-07, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure the Wrangler is the best Jeep to be sticking this kind of power and torque in. True, Jeep itself does a factory SRT-8 Grand Cherokee, but there are big differences in the Grand Cherokee and Warngler in their ability to handle an engine like that. Unlike the Grand Cherokee (even though the Grand Cherokee is Trail-Rated), the Wrangler was designed primarily for off-roading, with very high approach/departure/breakover angles for crawling over large rocks and rough terrain. As a result, even the 4-door version pictured here is high, narrow, tipsy, unstable, and rather poorly-suited for conventional on-road driving. Put sports-car power in it, and some people, especially young kids, may try and drive it like a sports car......with predictable results.
Old 06-17-07, 12:11 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Put sports-car power in it, and some people, especially young kids, may try and drive it like a sports car......with predictable results.
didnt you read that one thread?
its the latest trend!!
Old 06-17-07, 12:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree with mmarshall. It is one thing to stick that kind of power in that type of machine and another to be able to handle it. I know people in my apartment building who bought high powered SUVs and later traded/sold them back in, because they couldn't handle the power. For me, it's easy, but get a young, inexperience driver or someone who thinks they can handle something, and this is a recipe for disaster. I have seen this issue too many times to count at my 1/4 mile strip I help manage.
Old 06-17-07, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
didnt you read that one thread?
its the latest trend!!
OK....but trend or not, I don't think that is the issue. I just think that there are better ways to use a Hemi powerplant.....the Wrangler, IMO, is not one of them, for the reasons I've stated. That is probably why the factory won't do one.
Old 06-17-07, 06:27 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the guy got it built to make money or what?

Confused on why he's selling it with so low miles.
Old 06-17-07, 06:52 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK....but trend or not, I don't think that is the issue. I just think that there are better ways to use a Hemi powerplant.....the Wrangler, IMO, is not one of them, for the reasons I've stated. That is probably why the factory won't do one.
I know, I totally agree with you.
Just making a smartass comment
Old 06-17-07, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I know, I totally agree with you.
Just making a smartass comment
Gee.....you'd fit right in over at the DEBATE column.
Old 06-17-07, 11:46 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice - and a guaranteed show stopper. Probably not too practical, but a fun project. Somehow people can't resist stuffing a Jeep with a monster V8 - it's been a project beloved of shade-tree mechanics and factory engineers for fifty years.

Shoehorning a small-block Ford or Chevy into a WWII-era Jeep was a popular '50's hot rod trick - you could even buy most of the critical parts from speed shops and bolt one together in your backyard. Unfortunately the CJ-4 (which was later available with an aluminum V6) was pure evil in the handling department, and sported almost non-existent brakes, especially when saddled with the weight of the iron block V8.

With a stunning power/weight ratio, those few examples that were thoroughly sorted - complete with a working 4WD (some builders opted for a simpler 2WD solution) - could produce some spectacular 1/8 mile times. You probably didn't want to hang on for the full quarter-mile because the high cg, leaf springs, wobbly steering, huge front weight bias, and narrow track made the little beast a handful at anything over 50 mph.

When AMC owned Jeep, they offered a 401 V8 in the larger pickups and Wagoneers. A few brave souls stuffed this engine (complete with AMX plumbing) into a Wrangler for a semi-factory blend of the lightweight chassis and the Frankenmotor.

This modern interpretation of the '50's GI's daydream could also be a pretty entertaining (if brief) ride!
Old 06-18-07, 03:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Shoehorning a small-block Ford or Chevy into a WWII-era Jeep was a popular '50's hot rod trick - you could even buy most of the critical parts from speed shops and bolt one together in your backyard. Unfortunately the CJ-4 (which was later available with an aluminum V6) was pure evil in the handling department, and sported almost non-existent brakes, especially when saddled with the weight of the iron block V8.

When AMC owned Jeep, they offered a 401 V8 in the larger pickups and Wagoneers. A few brave souls stuffed this engine (complete with AMX plumbing) into a Wrangler for a semi-factory blend of the lightweight chassis and the Frankenmotor.
Thanks, Lil. I remember the Jeep pickups and Wagoneers well, but not the 401 version of them.
(my aunt, in Snow-Belt Northeast Ohio, had a 4WD Wagoneer for years).

Not only was the CJ-4 a rollover waiting to happen, but all of the CJ-series up through the CJ-7. The stability of the Wrangler has been improved somewhat, particularly in the new longer-wheelbase 4-door model, but it is still no Miata or S2000.
Old 06-18-07, 09:54 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the power issue, the jeep does look good though
Old 06-18-07, 12:05 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a death trap!