Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac will drop DTS or STS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 09:12 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While agreeing with mmarshall and 1SICKLEX the fundamental problem is that real people aren't buying the big cushy riding cars in the volumes that the automakers want.

The Lincoln Town Car is going to be fleet only soon. They sold only 40K of them in 2006 mostly to fleets and sales were still down almost 17%. The DTS sold 58K and that was in the first full new year. I'm not sure what it's fleet sales were but I'm sure they were quite high too. Heck the Lucerne was the closest to traditional luxury selling almost 100K in '06 but it's not RWD or as comfy/floaty as we are used to.

People are speaking with their wallets and though we may like those types of cars the boomers seem very happy in their S550s, and LS460s, BMWs, Avalons etc...

I don't mind the shift in general as long as there are a couple of choices for me when I'm a bit older (Heck the Marauder I'm driving now is just a gussied up old mans car in some ways).
Old 05-17-07, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
While agreeing with mmarshall and 1SICKLEX the fundamental problem is that real people aren't buying the big cushy riding cars in the volumes that the automakers want.
The largest single generation in history is right on the doorstep of retirement age.

Friend, those new Grandpas and Grandmas are COMING.......and those De Villes and Town Cars had BETTER be ready for them.
Old 05-17-07, 04:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

That right there is part of the problem, Mike. Even if Caddy DOES keep their larger, more traditional cars, they need to stop trying to make German sports sedans out of them and put back the cushy-riding tires, suspensions, and hood ornaments. Meanwhile, of course, they can keep the CTS and the V-series high-performance cars for the sport-sedan crowd.

Lexus, unfortunately, needs to do the same thing with the new ES350...it, also, has been compromised into more of a sports sedan....when Lexus already HAS the IS and GS.
Yep. When I'm finally able to afford LS460L, the first and probably the only mod I will do is slap a set of 16's on it.
Old 05-17-07, 04:28 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is why I am really feeling Cadillac... Keep it going Caddy and don't stop.. Screw the critics

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KBbAzxBs-nc
Old 05-17-07, 06:05 PM
LexFather

The funny thing is then these people complain:
I can feel more rattles
My car is loud
It turns to sharp

And other attributes they are not used to b/c they have driven cars with 60 series tires their whole lives.

Not sure WHY it became such a bad thing to want a nice comfy ride. Lexus has proven with the LS and ES people still want those cars, not every car has to handle and drive like a 911.

Old 05-18-07, 04:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The funny thing is then these people complain:
I can feel more rattles
My car is loud
It turns to sharp

And other attributes they are not used to b/c they have driven cars with 60 series tires their whole lives.

Not sure WHY it became such a bad thing to want a nice comfy ride. Lexus has proven with the LS and ES people still want those cars, not every car has to handle and drive like a 911.
So THEN Lexus turns around, stiffens the new ES suspension, and dumps the 60-series tires for 55's. Yes, that sure made a lot of sense.
Old 05-18-07, 04:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This is why I am really feeling Cadillac... Keep it going Caddy and don't stop.. Screw the critics

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KBbAzxBs-nc
I couldn't download the video, DASH. What are you saying here by "Keep it going"? Continue to try and make BMW's out of Cadillacs?
Old 05-18-07, 06:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I couldn't download the video, DASH. What are you saying here by "Keep it going"? Continue to try and make BMW's out of Cadillacs?
It is a Top gear vid of the old CTS-V.. Caddy needs to keep the performance line going.. GM has Buick for the sofas on wheels.
Old 05-18-07, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It is a Top gear vid of the old CTS-V.. Caddy needs to keep the performance line going.. GM has Buick for the sofas on wheels.
True, but unfortunately, even the Buick sofas are getting a little firmer padding these days. For soft-ride lovers, you just can't get away from it.

And Cadillac, like I said earlier, can keep the V-line performance cars going without forgetting Grandpa and Grandma like they have done.
Old 05-18-07, 03:21 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

True, but unfortunately, even the Buick sofas are getting a little firmer padding these days. For soft-ride lovers, you just can't get away from it.

And Cadillac, like I said earlier, can keep the V-line performance cars going without forgetting Grandpa and Grandma like they have done.
i agree, for now ... a good % of the people that buy sofas on wheels are in the older generation; a good portion of them HAVE a coushy car and are probably not going to be buying another one. My grandfather has a coushy cadillac and he wouldn't be buying another car unless his blew up or something

GMs other issues asside, it needs to evolve with the times ... by catering to the decreasing % of people that want sofas on wheels, they will just dig a deeper hole
Old 05-19-07, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
i agree, for now ... a good % of the people that buy sofas on wheels are in the older generation; a good portion of them HAVE a coushy car and are probably not going to be buying another one. My grandfather has a coushy cadillac and he wouldn't be buying another car unless his blew up or something
Have you driven or ridden in his car? What do you think of it? Hard-riding, noisy, sport-sedans have their place....and I certainly wouldn't suggest otherwise, but sometimes it is nice, especially when you are tired at the end of a long day, to just sit back and enjoy an easy, quiet ride without being beaten up over bumps, potholes, and frost heaves. If guys in their BMW's are flying past you...so what?

GMs other issues asside, it needs to evolve with the times ... by catering to the decreasing % of people that want sofas on wheels, they will just dig a deeper hole

Evolving with the times? The LARGEST generation in history (the 50-60-year old Baby Boomers) is JUST getting ready to retire now.....and just guess what more than a few of themare going to want?

Yep.............your grandfather's Caddy. History often repeats itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-07 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-19-07, 10:20 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Have you driven or ridden in his car? What do you think of it? Hard-riding, noisy, sport-sedans have their place....and I certainly wouldn't suggest otherwise, but sometimes it is nice, especially when you are tired at the end of a long day, to just sit back and enjoy an easy, quiet ride without being beaten up over bumps, potholes, and frost heaves. If guys in their BMW's are flying past you...so what?
Yups, I certainly have done both. It's like riding in a smaller limo. Super nice ride, fast as hell in a straight line but death if you think you want to do any type of cornering or require handling otherwise. My favorite is the back seat though, his caddie is from the mid 90s when back seats were still very roomie. I definately prefer being a passenger to being a driver though.

Other Caddies in the family: 1999 STS. I love that car, V8-Northstar . Beats most things out there AND handles rather well; while it's not as throwable as my IS300, I can still do some good driving in it. I love to race BMWs in it. I don't know if it's just this city or not, but there seems to be a deep rivalry of: BMW v. Cadillac. The best part is when you fly off and at the next stop light you see bimmer driver over there like ... hahahaha.

Ok, I digress, but for the record: I like Cadillac, and I almost had a CTS instead of my IS. Reason I have the IS, it was basically handed to me.
Old 05-19-07, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
You must be quite young.

There's an INCREASING number of people that will want sofas on wheels.

However, I don't think the traditional sedan (large or small) is going to cut it.

I expect more and more retirees to get CUVs and newer SUVs that will ride very comfortably. Why? Well for one thing a lot of older buyers are still active and want to easily tote several golf bags or other stuff around. But more importantly I think, the CUV/SUV's ride height makes it MUCH MUCH easier to get in and out of. And a lot of older buyers also have an even older parent they need to shlep around too, and it's easier for them to step into something with the seat at hip height, and not have to 'fall down' into a seat.
Old 05-19-07, 11:07 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I hope they don't kill the STS. I really love those caddy's.

Also... how about they bring back the ETC??
Old 05-19-07, 04:36 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

ETC like this one?

You must be quite young.
i guess so, i'll 22 in June, is that quite young?

but i wasn't saying cut the sofas on wheels now ... i was just saying that it will need to happen eventually. soft rides are nice, but i just think people are going to want handling AND nice ride, body-roll will become more and more unacceptable

Last edited by Faymester; 05-19-07 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac will drop DTS or STS