Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Smart Headlights are coming . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 07:08 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Leds are overrated, they look bright, but they dont emit as much light as regular bulbs.
Halogen bulbs waste more engergy by emitting a higher percentage of heat than LEDs.
Old 04-11-07, 07:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Leds are overrated, they look bright, but they dont emit as much light as regular bulbs.
It depends on the LED and the bulb you're comparing it to.

LED are much more efficient than regular bulbs.

For example, I have two maglite flashlights. Both are 2D cell flashlights except one of them is LED and the other one is equipped with the krypton bulb. The LED is not only brighter, longer lasting, but it also puts out more light output (lumens ) than the regular bulb. LED will be the new light technology. Most surface mount LEDs such as the Cree P4 XR-E are light years ahead of the traditional LED bulbs you find on superbrightleds.com
Old 04-11-07, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
LEDs are the future. IN 20 years they will be the norm on Corollas and Civics. Another great thing about them is with the smaller size requirements, it allows designers to make headlights and tailights very very stylish and different and save space.

Look no further than the LF-A for this.

Originally Posted by genearch
Nope, "sort of" beat to the punch by Audi in the A8, it's DTRL's are LED
DTRLs are not headlights. THe LS is the first production car with LED headlights.
Originally Posted by genearch
Not to be a naysayer, but the list of Toyota/Lexus automobile innovations is a pretty short one.
Not as short as you think. The LS just introduced 9 world firsts. First with electrolumisent lights. First with dual hinge doors. First with dual stage CVT. First with luxury hybrids. Etc etc etc

Old 04-11-07, 08:43 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
First with dual hinge doors.
care to explain?
Old 04-11-07, 08:55 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First with luxury hybrids. Etc etc etc
Wouldn't that honour belong to the GS? Or do you mean to say full size luxury hybrid?
Old 04-12-07, 07:29 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Actually, BMW was the first brand to offer xenon headlights. It was an option available for the E34 7-Series.
And they were the first to be fitted with projector headlight lenses as well.
Old 04-15-07, 01:57 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Milla...
Again I believe it was Lincoln (although caddy may had done it as well) to do this I think it was an option on their 197? Mark??? I just remember seeing this thing on the hood next the A pillar and being told what it was.
My 1992 Lincoln Continental Signiture had this. I kept it turned off because it was annoying as all hell. It couldn't tell the difference between reflected light from signs, streetlights etc. from another car. When the sensitivity was lowered enough not to be annoying it would ignore half the car lights.
Old 04-15-07, 08:09 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW has been offering something like the system in the first post, although they don't "dip" or anything. However in Europe, there's High Beam Assist, which is basically automatic high-beams. Kinda wished we got that here........
Old 04-15-07, 08:49 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LEDs are the future. IN 20 years they will be the norm on Corollas and Civics. Another great thing about them is with the smaller size requirements, it allows designers to make headlights and tailights very very stylish and different and save space.
20 years????? Try 3-5 years, if that. Hec, don't almost ALL Toyotas have LED taillights now, except maybe the Camry and Corolla? I believe the Camry Hybrid has LEDs though.

LED tails will be mainstream for all cars in 3-5 years, tops. That kind of simple technology moves downstream fast now.

I can't imagine ANY car technology taking 20 years to move down the market. Our society is moving too fast for that now. Items that seem exclusive to high-end vehicles could be in a Civic or Corolla in 10 years or less.