Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota has no plans to extend coverage

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 07:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Toyota has no plans to extend coverage

Where's the Warranty?
Toyota has no plans to extend coverage
By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Updated: 02/20/07, 2:16 pm et

CHICAGO - Although Toyota has recalled more than 3.4 million vehicles since 2005, its top U.S. boss, Jim Press, says consumer confidence in the company remains strong.

Press, president of Toyota Motor North America, also said the company is not going to follow Ford Motor Co. and General Motors by strengthening new- or used-vehicle warranties.

"It's something you need as a solution to a problem," Press said this month during the Chicago Auto Show. "It's not something you do because other people do it. Our long-term durability has been real good."

But for a company that has built its reputation on high-quality, long-lasting vehicles, Toyota has had problems of late.

Toyota's latest recall, announced in late January, affects 533,000 light trucks that might have a faulty ball joint.

The recall comes on the heels of a class-action settlement, announced in early January, that covers hefty repair bills for Toyota owners whose engines filled with oil sludge.

Also, Toyota recalled 2.2 million vehicles in 2005 to fix various problems.

GM and Ford boosted their new-car powertrain warranties last fall. Ford's warranty increased from 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/60,000 miles; GM boosted its powertrain coverage to 5 years/100,000 miles. And this month, GM said that starting March 5 it will extend powertrain coverage of used vehicles to 5 years/100,000 miles.

Press said no discussions have taken place at Toyota about beefing up warranty coverage.

He said: "We don't have reliability issues that go beyond our normal warranty."
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 02-24-07, 07:48 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I agree with this.
Old 02-24-07, 07:59 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota is starting to slip a little thats why my Wife traded in her RX 300 the engine Sludge proble and the transmission going out she loved the car but i didn't want to take no chances with the engine.
Old 02-24-07, 09:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd

Maybe he should look around on the internet or talk to people who own Toyota/Lexus cars before he makes such a statement and I think he will come to a different conclusion. All he has to do is look at the 2nd GS forum and check out all the problems like door lock actuator failures, lower strut mounts failing and needing to be replaced before 100,000 miles, starter problems and failures, moisture in the headlights, rough low idle causing some cars to stall when stopped, as well as all the squeaks and rattles. These issues are fairly common and pretty expensive to fix and unacceptable in cars costing this much especially when nothing has been done to remedy the problems or reinburse owners out of pocket repairs. The new Camry seems to be having its share of problems. That guy needs to do some research before making baseless statements like that.
Old 02-25-07, 02:59 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will toyota be the new GM -30 years from now, in the brink of bankruptcy?
Old 02-25-07, 07:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Will toyota be the new GM -30 years from now, in the brink of bankruptcy?
It's always a possibility.

However, auto build and quality is just one part of the equation. I think Toyota's business philosophy surpasses the Big Three's business philosophy.

I think that Toyota needs to handle engineering aspects of build quality as soon as possible.

The business philosophy is good and permanent; the build quality of products is temporary and "easily" addressed...
Old 02-26-07, 09:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Um, Big 3 are just now matching Toyota's warranty... why should Toyota increase theirs?

Just because some write thought it was an good idea? Good... does he have any other questions? Maybe Toyota should start selling their cars for free?
Old 02-26-07, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Um, Big 3 are just now matching Toyota's warranty... why should Toyota increase theirs?

Just because some write thought it was an good idea? Good... does he have any other questions? Maybe Toyota should start selling their cars for free?
or "at least" employee discount? lol

i agree, if toyota is still doing good, there is no point for them to follow gm and ford. for all i care those two have been doing a lot but still failing.

but one thing i have to say, is toyota definitely has to look very closely at their reliability
Old 02-26-07, 09:46 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by widlfiresd

Originally Posted by UDel
Maybe he should look around on the internet or talk to people who own Toyota/Lexus cars before he makes such a statement and I think he will come to a different conclusion. All he has to do is look at the 2nd GS forum and check out all the problems like door lock actuator failures, lower strut mounts failing and needing to be replaced before 100,000 miles, starter problems and failures, moisture in the headlights, rough low idle causing some cars to stall when stopped, as well as all the squeaks and rattles. These issues are fairly common and pretty expensive to fix and unacceptable in cars costing this much especially when nothing has been done to remedy the problems or reinburse owners out of pocket repairs. The new Camry seems to be having its share of problems. That guy needs to do some research before making baseless statements like that.
You know that old saying... "Ignorance is bliss".
Old 02-26-07, 09:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
You know that old saying... "Ignorance is bliss".
In this case the word delusional comes to mind where his comment is concerned. He has access to actual service visits, rattles alone are a major problem, never mind transmission issues on several models, spanning several years, and all likely costing Toyota/Lexus a fortune to address.
Old 02-26-07, 11:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

His logic is flawed. If their cars are THAT reliable that they don't "need" to extend the warranty, then they might as well extend the warranty, because according to them it would cost them almost nothing to do so, since their cars just don't break anyway, right?

Hell, just give em 200k mile warranties while you're at it - all Toyota and Lexus vehicles run flawlessly to 250k miles, right, so you wouldn't actually increase your warranty expense costs.... the old thing you'd increase is loss of sales on extended warranties, which apparently only suckers who think Toyotas actually break, buy, anyway, and the cost of those lost warranty sales would be increased by the gain in popularity and purchases by people with newfound confidence in Toyota's extended warranty.

Or could it be that they know their cars break, but know a lot of consumers don't think they do, so they'll play the infallible role by pretending extending warranties is 'beneath them' and all the while laugh while out of warranty Toyota owners pay for high-markup visits to dealer service departments because their Toyota had a 'fluke' and broke, unlike most...
Old 02-26-07, 11:20 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
His logic is flawed. If their cars are THAT reliable that they don't "need" to extend the warranty, then they might as well extend the warranty, because according to them it would cost them almost nothing to do so, since their cars just don't break anyway, right?
That's exactly what went through my mind. Very flawed logic indeed.
Old 02-26-07, 11:31 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

if they extend the warranty they will just bump up the price. I still don't think Toyota's quality has slipped that far where they need a Hyndai like warranty for 10 years to enstill confidence.

Go spend some time on the GM halo cars web site, Solstice/Sky and tell me you think Toyota's need a warranty extension LOL.
Old 02-26-07, 12:24 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
if they extend the warranty they will just bump up the price.
They shouldn't have to if the cars aren't going to break anyway, right?

I still don't think Toyota's quality has slipped that far where they need a Hyndai like warranty for 10 years to enstill confidence.
They don't NEED it right now, but their reasoning for not doing it is becoming increasingly shaky as more of their competition moves to longer warranties. There's something to be said about a company with the confidence to back up their product for longer than all the others.

Go spend some time on the GM halo cars web site, Solstice/Sky and tell me you think Toyota's need a warranty extension LOL.
The solstice and sky are FAR from GM's halo cars.
Old 02-27-07, 07:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
In this case the word delusional comes to mind where his comment is concerned. He has access to actual service visits, rattles alone are a major problem, never mind transmission issues on several models, spanning several years, and all likely costing Toyota/Lexus a fortune to address.
dude, what are you talking about? ALL of your issues are under your warranty.

Get of your high horse for once and think before you post.

Quick Reply: Toyota has no plans to extend coverage