Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Subaru Impreza STi Preview

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 08:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 2008 Subaru Impreza STi Preview

New images of the upcoming Subaru STi have surfaced online, revealing the car’s new styling ahead of its debut at the New York Auto Show in April. Key changes for the new model are the introduction of the hatch body-style, and the new front-end styling that forgoes the unpopular airplane inspired grille treatment. All Impreza models, including the STi, will be roughly 130mm shorter than the current sedan, but will be 50mm wider overall.

The new STi will carry over the familiar 2.0L turbocharged boxer engine in most markets, however, the US will likely get a 2.5L version. An all-new 2.5L engine is currently being developed, which will deliver substantially more juice than the 300hp that’s expected from the 2.0L mill. Instead of increasing the top-end power, engineers have focused on improving the power delivery characteristics of the new range. Expect a much flatter torque curve and more oomph lower in the rev range.

Other mechanical changes include some major revisions so the symmetrical AWD system, including a modified Driver’s Control Centre Differential. The new Impreza is also expected to receive a new rear multi-link suspension set-up that should improve both the car’s handling and stability.
SOURCE : motorauthority
Old 02-08-07, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Both look good to me!!!

Old 02-08-07, 08:16 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too plain... I liked the original US STI best.
Old 02-08-07, 05:09 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

I like the current models better, currently I'd take Evo 9 over STi...but if I had to pick. 2008 STi over the 2008 evo.
Old 02-08-07, 05:29 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front end looks good... but that hatch has to go... ESPECIALLY with that wing.
Old 02-08-07, 05:41 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don;t like the ideal of change STI from sedan to a hatch.... a coupe maybe...
Old 02-08-07, 05:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza Unveiled: Impreza's shock new look

New five-door-only Impreza is shorter and wider than current model

Wild spoiler and twin exhausts hint at impressive performance
Subaru Impreza
Unveiled: Impreza's shock new look

We can exclusively expose the fresh look of Subaru's next-generation Impreza
Text: Peter Lyon / Photos: Poblete

07th February 2007

New five-door-only Impreza is shorter and wider than current model

The new oil-burner will employ a particulate filter to reduce emissions, and is expected to return CO2 figures of less than 140g/km.

These images reveal the forthcoming Impreza, two months before the car makes its official world debut at the New York Motor Show in April.

As our images reveal, the changes are significant, and the styling sees an unparalleled reinvention of the firm's most important model. Perhaps most striking is the fact that the UK version of the Impreza is no longer a saloon. British drivers will be offered only a five-door hatchback when the new car arrives in showrooms in October.

Gone, too, is the unpopular aeroplane motif that debuted on the front of the new Tribeca. Originally inspired by Subaru's aviation heritage, the look also appeared on the last-generation Impreza, as well as the controversial B5 concept.

Now, Auto Express can tell fans of the brand to expect far more toned-down styling, centred around a wide, narrow grille and upward-slanting headlights which owe their shape to the current model's design.

To broaden the newcomer's appeal, the stylists also chose to keep things simple when it came to penning the rest of the bodywork. As a result, the Impreza's clean lines focus more on performance and packaging.

At the same time, engineers have worked to keep prices down. The aim is for costs to fall in line with models such as the VW Golf, which Subaru identified as a key rival for the newcomer during road tests in the US.

All this means the next Impreza will be a very different size than at present. The five-door will be around 130mm shorter than the current sal*oon, and 50mm wider. To improve headroom in the rear, the car will be a fraction taller, while the kerbweight stays at around 1,400kg.

Yet while it's all change for the styling and dimensions, under the bonnet the maker plans to carry over much of the existing engine line-up. As a result, the base Impreza will be powered by a naturally aspirated 1.5-litre boxer delivering 115bhp.

The top-spec STi is to feature a reworked version of the current 2.0-litre turbocharged flat-four. This offers 300bhp and 431Nm of torque. A new 2.5-litre motor is also under development, although it's likely to debut in the US before heading to the UK.

The bad news, however, is that Subaru is not expected to launch a diesel variant until 2009. Its engine, tipped to be a 2.2-litre flat-four, is the culmination of more than 25 years of development, which has involved Toy*ota. The new oil-burner will employ a particulate filter to reduce emissions, and is expected to return CO2 figures of less than 140g/km.

Exact performance details are not yet available, but Subaru is thought to have set a target of 150bhp for the unit, with a further development offer-ing nearly 180bhp in 2010.

Both petrol and diesel variants will come with a choice of five-speed manual or six-ratio automatic transmissions. Meanwhile, the STi will be equipped with an upgraded six-speed manual. Instead of adding to the top-of-the-range car's already explosive power output, company engineers are concentrating more on beefing up the low to mid-range torque.

We can also expect some major tweaks to the already superb 4WD system, in addition to revisions of the Driver's Control Centre Diff (DCCD). Our source revealed to us that a new rear multi-link suspension set-up will also be employed on the Impreza - a strategic upgrade which will improve handling, stability and ride quality.

With both the STi and Mitsu*bishi's fresh Lancer Evo expected to arrive in showrooms in early 2008, the stage is set for a new battle royale, Japanese-style: blindingly quick four-cylinder turbos with 4WD traction for a little over £20,000. More pictures of the Impreza are expected as the New York expo approaches.
source : http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...u_impreza.html
Old 02-08-07, 06:10 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I like the hatch. I'll definitely consider this car pending Toyota's offering(s) when I upgrade from the S2k in a couple years. That is of course assuming Toyota EVER releases another Supra/sports car.
Old 02-09-07, 06:34 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by replica
I like the hatch. I'll definitely consider this car pending Toyota's offering(s) when I upgrade from the S2k in a couple years. That is of course assuming Toyota EVER releases another Supra/sports car.
I would usually say =dont hold your breath= but they are planning on stepping up the lexus performance i.e. IS and LF-A... so hopefully they are looking more toward performance and reliabilty.. instead of just relaibility.. vanilla tastes good... but it tastes better if you add things to it.

J
Old 02-09-07, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I still don;t like the ideal of change STI from sedan to a hatch.... a coupe maybe...

Hatches are more or less a Subaru tradition.
Old 02-09-07, 06:42 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Tradition or not, that hatch looks ridiculous with that spoiler. Minus the spoiler and it's half way decent looking, though I still prefer the sedan.
Old 02-10-07, 05:26 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

I like the cars performance....but still undecided if I like the way it looks.
Old 02-10-07, 05:57 PM
TheGambler
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stage3
The front end looks good... but that hatch has to go... ESPECIALLY with that wing.
+1 The front end looks extremely nice, but that rear spoiler is attrocious!!
Old 02-10-07, 07:48 PM
xioix
Racer

They need to keep it as sedan and add a coupe model to it, not just make it as a 5 door hatch
Old 02-10-07, 11:51 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

They're both obviously chops...

Quick Reply: 2008 Subaru Impreza STi Preview