Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chicago Preview: New Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 10:30 AM
acerfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Preview: New Dodge Dakota

http://carnewssite.com/2007/02/04/un...dodge-dakotas/

Images of the new Dodge Dakota’s from the Chrysler Group have surfaced onto the internet, maybe a bit earlier than expected. The new Dakota will sport a fresh look inside and out. If you’re big fans of boxy cars, then the new Dakota should be right along your list, with a new edged off crosshair grill like found in most of Dodge’s new line-up. Under the hood, the base engine is a 3.7-Liter V6 which outputs 210-horsepowers. Also optional is a 4.7-Liter FlexFuel V8 which has the ability to output more than 290-horsepower. Want to tow? No worries, the new Dakota has a maximum towing capacity of up to 7,000 pounds!

And according to Kicking Tires, the new Dakota will feature a standard remote starter. Yes, standard. Who really likes Dodge trucks now anyways? The new redesign seems to not symbolize any change to the Dodge brand and still has that plastic, cheap feel just by looking at photos, imagine what consumers will feel when they step into one. However, the good news is that the price should be “Dodge-priced”, meaning that it will be mostly affordable, but then, I could buy a new, more popular Ford F-Series for the same price rather than a Dodge.

And is it enough to compete with the new Tundra as well as the award-winning Silverado? I think not.
still ugly, imho i'd take the tundra over this any day.
Old 02-04-07, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, like you, I have a low opinion of Dodge/Chrysler build quality and the cheapness of their interior materials, but in all honesty, I can't say this truck is ugly....I've certainly seen lots worse. It looks better than the first Dakota, inside and out.

BTW, for those of you who are unaware of it, Mitsubishi produces a version of this truck called the Raider. The name Raider was actually used by Dodge for its version of a Mitsubishi SUV back in the 1980's.....now the shoe is on the other foot, and Mitsubishi uses the name to copy a Dodge truck design.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...y.do?loc=en-us

(The Mitsubishi, version, IMO, is uglier than the Dodge ).

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-07 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 11:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Tacoma>Dakota
Old 02-04-07, 12:45 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

hideous .
Old 02-04-07, 01:16 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-04-07, 01:20 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

The Tacoma looks a lot better than this IMO.
Old 02-04-07, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The ugliest truck I've ever seen.

Still Dodge seems to sell to a lot of people who have no taste so maybe it's perfect.
Old 02-04-07, 02:23 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Did they also outsource the truck manufacturing to china also?
Old 02-04-07, 02:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Why is the article above (1st post) comparing it to F-series, Silverado, and Tundra??? Hello! Ever here of the Dodge Ram? People need to compare the right classes. Dakota competes with the Ford Ranger, Chevy Colarado, and Toyota Tacoma.

You could also say "Hey, your Ranger has nothing on my Ram!" It's ridiculous.
Old 02-04-07, 02:55 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Why is the article above (1st post) comparing it to F-series, Silverado, and Tundra??? Hello! Ever here of the Dodge Ram? People need to compare the right classes. Dakota competes with the Ford Ranger, Chevy Colarado, and Toyota Tacoma.

You could also say "Hey, your Ranger has nothing on my Ram!" It's ridiculous.

Honestly, it is ridiculous....

But that truck is not going to sell very well considering it's competition, unless it's got's suprise innovations or features under that ugly skin.
Old 02-04-07, 02:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The ugliest truck I've ever seen.

Still Dodge seems to sell to a lot of people who have no taste so maybe it's perfect.
Although not beautiful, it's not the ugliest truck ever. Far from it. At least it's better than the current version which I never liked. The previous generation Dakota remains the best looking small truck to date in my opinion with maybe the exception of the current Tacoma.

And let's remember that many, including myself consider the Ram to be the best looking truck. I wouldn't call that bad taste.
Old 02-04-07, 03:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
Honestly, it is ridiculous....

But that truck is not going to sell very well considering it's competition, unless it's got's suprise innovations or features under that ugly skin.
It's American competition isn't that great looking either.

It seems like the US automakers are abandoning there small trucks. They put so much effort into there full-sizers, but are essentially givng Toyota the small truck segment as if Toyota doesn't own enough segments. You would think American car companies would fight harder to hold on to the whole truck market since that is suppose to be their bread and butter. It is truly sad.
Old 02-04-07, 03:09 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
It's American competition isn't that great looking either.

It seems like the US automakers are abandoning there small trucks. They put so much effort into there full-sizers, but are essentially givng Toyota the small truck segment as if Toyota doesn't own enough segments. You would think American car companies would fight harder to hold on to the whole truck market since that is suppose to be their bread and butter. It is truly sad.
Oh well, At least we still have Microsoft, IBM, and Boeing. Our car manufacturers would do well to borrow some of those companies strategies and business practices.
Old 02-04-07, 04:54 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugly..
anyone think it looks like a deformed F 150?...especially with the identical headlights and whats that big stick coming out of the steering wheel?
Old 02-04-07, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Ugly..
anyone think it looks like a deformed F 150?...especially with the identical headlights and whats that big stick coming out of the steering wheel?
That stick is NOT coming out of the wheel. That is the column-mounted transmission shift lever. It only looks like it is coming out of the wheel because the 3 o'clock spoke hides the part that goes into the column.

Quick Reply: Chicago Preview: New Dodge Dakota