Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota developing bargain-basement model

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Toyota developing bargain-basement model

Monday 22 January 2007

Toyota is planning an ultra-low cost vehicle for sale in emerging markets, which would sell for less than Renault’s Logan budget car. Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe has told reporters “the focus will be on low-cost technology,” something that will require a reform of current design and production methods.

There’s been no confirmation of the cost of the new vehicle but according to Watanabe, it would be less than the Logan, which has already gone into production and is expected to start at €5,000. To meet these new cost standards, “everything from design to production methods will be radically changed and we are thinking of a really ultra-low-cost way of designing, using ultra-low-cost materials, even developing new materials if necessary,” said Watanabe.

The outcome is likely to hurt the already struggling US automakers, and help push Toyota into new markets. Pictured above is Toyota’s Endo concept developed at Toyota’s European design studios. Designed as a cheap city runabout, the Endo features styling elements that are likely to feature on Toyota’s upcoming budget model.
source : motorauthority
Old 01-22-07, 08:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

In a place like Mexico where I live, they will need to have this vehicle. The Corolla and Yaris won't cut it given their price ranges down here,

http://mx.autos.yahoo.com/newcars/to...e_overview.php (use 10 pesos to 1 USD for an idea)

While the vehicle reminds me of a Smart, that never sold well once the Mini Cooper came into play.

However, going under $6,000 USD to $7,000 USD or so here, will get you a significant chunk of the population currently that loves vehicles such as the Nissan Tsuru (old Sentra design) or the small Hyundai Atos.

Keep up this good work, and you are going to have a winner on your hands in so many countries.
Old 01-22-07, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Though this car will probably vastly outdo them in quality, it will be interesting to see how this car competes against the $5000-7000 entry-level Chinese cars coming shortly. I'm hoping to see some Chinese cars at the D.C auto show ( starts Wednesday, Jan 24 ), but I don't see any floor plans for an exibit...yet.
Old 01-22-07, 11:28 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though this car will probably vastly outdo them in quality, it will be interesting to see how this car competes against the $5000-7000 entry-level Chinese cars coming shortly. I'm hoping to see some Chinese cars at the D.C auto show ( starts Wednesday, Jan 24 ), but I don't see any floor plans for an exibit...yet.
Toyota also has Scion, Hino, and Daihatsu. I am sure they are just leveraging what they have. Remember the LS400 was in Japan years before we saw it. Toyota has had Micro cars for a long time.

Don't forget the Toyota Starlett. It was imported in the U.S back in the 80's.
Old 01-22-07, 11:30 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota needs to stop their uncontrollable world domination growth and focus on their current models: for example, the Camry and ES350 are just way too subpar as far as design and fit and finish are concerned.
Old 01-22-07, 11:34 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Toyota needs to stop their uncontrollable world domination growth and focus on their current models: for example, the Camry and ES350 are just way too subpar as far as design and fit and finish are concerned.
Although folks will disagree. We are witnessing Toyota morphing into GM.

The only way to achieve number one in sales is to share parts across a lot of cars. And of course, more quantity equals less quality. I don't care if they slap a Lexus logo on the Camry or not. This why no one company will have more than 10-15% of the entire car market. After awhile, all your products look the same. It is too expensive to R&D distinct cars at every level.
Old 01-22-07, 11:43 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will chose Toyota over cheap Chinese Autos.. I am Chinese, But I would never buy any Chinese vehicles..
Old 01-22-07, 01:55 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Although folks will disagree. We are witnessing Toyota morphing into GM.

The only way to achieve number one in sales is to share parts across a lot of cars. And of course, more quantity equals less quality. I don't care if they slap a Lexus logo on the Camry or not. This why no one company will have more than 10-15% of the entire car market. After awhile, all your products look the same. It is too expensive to R&D distinct cars at every level.
You are right, but I think Toyota is using GM as their *how* not to be scale. I think if they continue on this track some things will suffer.. hopefully not reliability, but I forsee a change in fit and finish.

Please don't make go to BMW Toyota.. that is why I love my Lexus. It goes together so beautifully.
Old 01-22-07, 02:42 PM
JessePS

Nice concept.

If Toyota does make the car ultra-cheap, and it still is reliable as any other Toyota/Lexus/Scion on the market, man that be a great.

I wouldnt mind driving in a cheap and yet reliable japanese car

I bet a $7000 US Toyota would destroy a $16000-$20000 Smart Car in reliability (?sp), seeing I used too own one
Old 01-22-07, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Thank goodness Lexus won't get it and call it a 1 series or A/B class fighter, lol

Old 01-22-07, 07:50 PM
JessePS

One thing how much does Toyota sell the Aygo for? I know its not related too the topic.

Thats one thing I can not wait too see the redesigned Aygo when it comes to N.A too compete against the Smart.