Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recalls 9.3 million vehicles in the last 3 years w/ steady increases each year

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I remember reading something a while back about Accords made in the US vs. Japan (it was early on when they had been building Accords here for only a couple of years and people were saying American cars were crap cause they were put together by Americans). Turns out the cars from Ohio were better quality.
yep... Our UK Built Corolla had better build quality than Japanese one....
Old 01-18-07, 07:08 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Another Recall

Toyota Recalling Sequoia/Tundra
By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 31 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.

Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong.

The automaker said there was a possibility of excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane. Drivers may also notice more noise coming from the front suspension, Kwong said.

Toyota recalled about 775,000 pickups and SUVs in May 2005 — one of its largest recalls ever — because of similar problems with the front suspension. The recall included 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Kwong said the company received additional complaints involving newer models of the Tundra and Sequoia, prompting them to issue the recall.

Toyota, which is challenging General Motors Corp. to become the world's largest automaker, has aggressively touted its redesigned Tundra pickup as a strong competitor in the lucrative truck segment dominated by GM and Ford Motor Co.

The first Tundras built at Toyota's San Antonio plant are expected in showrooms next month. The automaker recently unveiled its Tundra CrewMax full-size pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The large pickup will arrive in showrooms in March.

With its expansion, the automaker has struggled with some quality issues. Toyota had 2.2 million vehicle recalls in 2005, but showed improvements last year when its recalls fell to 766,000 vehicles. Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe has repeatedly vowed to enhance quality controls.

Owners will be notified in mid-February of the Sequoia and Tundra recall and dealers will replace the left and right front suspension lower ball joint at no charge to the vehicle's owners. Consumers can contact Toyota at (888) 270-9371 or (800) 331-4331.

Old 01-18-07, 10:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lower ball joints for the Sequoia and Tundra, Toyota/Lexus seems to have a problem with these parts on several of their vehicles. Look at how many threads are on the 2nd Gen GS forums with lower ball joints prematurely wearing and needing replacing. I wish Toyota/Lexus would own up this problem and offer an extended warranty or some kind of assistance to us 2GS owners but unfortunately I know they won't unless a really big issue is being made like involving several accidents. I am going in the morning to get mine checked as I think they are whats making a loud creaking rattling noise at low speeds when going over bumps.