Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM Exec Says Toyota Rules Inside the Beltway

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 08:07 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Exec Says Toyota Rules Inside the Beltway

GM product czar Bob Lutz looked secure enough posing with the Saturn Aura and Chevrolet Silverado, which won the Detroit auto show Car and Truck of the Year awards. But before long, he was lamenting GM's lesser clout in Washington compared with Toyota.

Date posted: 01-10-2007

DETROIT — General Motors product development chief Bob Lutz, always a colorful interview subject, told reporters that he believes Toyota now has more lobbying strength in Washington, D.C., than his own company.

Lutz made the comment at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, calling it his "considered opinion." He said Toyota's greater "clout" comes from the company's focus on lobbying, its profitability and the fact that it has facilities in several U.S. states.

The Center for Responsive Politics reports that General Motors actually spent $2 million more on federal lobbying costs in 2005 — some $7.8 million — compared with Toyota, which spent $5.7 million. The Detroit Free Press notes, however, that Toyota has "hired so many former government staffers and administration officials" that it has the advantage in "meetings and attention" in the nation's capital.

What this means to you: Perhaps sour grapes — or perhaps Bob Lutz is right in calling out the declining importance and influence of General Motors.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=119167#2
Old 01-11-07, 08:31 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I suppose that's why the hybrid tax credit is specifically biased against Toyota in favor of the domestic auto makers???
Old 01-11-07, 08:58 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha if I were a consipracy theorist (which I'm not) I would say that Japan is doing economically to the US what it couldn't do militarily during during WWII.
Old 01-11-07, 09:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Something I remember hearing a lot growing up in the 80s was that American automakers make something to last maybe 5 years at most and then expect you to trade it in and get something new, in order for them to keep their profit at least constant over time.
Old 01-11-07, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

GM basically put themselves in the declining position they are in today. Their products, in many ways, started to go downhill in the early 1970's and, despite some improvements on the very latest ones, still, IMO, are not very impressive overall. The only reason, IMO, that GM has lasted as long as it has, in the position they have, is that they have an extremely loyal core of Chevy pickup truck owners, senior-citizen Cadillac/Buick people, and World-War II-generation people who grew up driving GM products and wouldn't touch a German or Japanese-designed car if their lives depended on it. Many of these people have tunnel-vision, and continue to buy and drive GM products, regardless of their quality level, simply BECAUSE they are GM products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-11-07 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-11-07, 09:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^^^^^Yup I'm with you there a lot of them have tunnel vision like the guy at the local autozone who made fun of my "JapCrap" Lexus while trying to order a transmission for his Corsica.
Old 01-11-07, 12:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"It's not our inferior products nobody wants that put us in a decline, it's Toyota!! They lobby too much!!! It's just so unfair!!! Wah wah wahhhh....."
Old 01-11-07, 02:45 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

you guys are overreacting. he wasn't saying that better lobbying by toyota is the reason for gm's troubles at all. He was simply making a point - that Toyota seems to have more clout. Lutz isn't a moron so I wouldn't make him out to be one.
Old 01-11-07, 02:49 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
and World-War II-generation people who grew up driving GM products and wouldn't touch a German or Japanese-designed car if their lives depended on it. Many of these people have tunnel-vision, and continue to buy and drive GM products, regardless of their quality level, simply BECAUSE they are GM products.
Maybe you're the one that has tunnel vision in not seeing why people would continue to stick with their GM products even if there are technically "better" choices out there.
Old 01-11-07, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM basically put themselves in the declining position they are in today. Their products, in many ways, started to go downhill in the early 1970's and, despite some improvements on the very latest ones, still, IMO, are not very impressive overall. The only reason, IMO, that GM has lasted as long as it has, in the position they have, is that they have an extremely loyal core of Chevy pickup truck owners, senior-citizen Cadillac/Buick people, and World-War II-generation people who grew up driving GM products and wouldn't touch a German or Japanese-designed car if their lives depended on it. Many of these people have tunnel-vision, and continue to buy and drive GM products, regardless of their quality level, simply BECAUSE they are GM products.
REALTALK!!!!!

Old 01-11-07, 09:48 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The unions killed GM long ago. Toyota is free of all that so whats a company to do. Less money for development and othe improvments.
Old 01-11-07, 09:51 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
The unions killed GM long ago. Toyota is free of all that so whats a company to do. Less money for development and othe improvments.
I go as far to say if GM was near going out of business I would most likely drop the Lexus and buy GM until things turn around. I feel as an American GM and Ford are like apple pie. I sure hope they get things turned around I really want to keep the Lexus
Old 01-11-07, 10:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Interesting remarks from a company that will be making more announcements in the near future. More cutbacks. That was the buzz in Detroit when I was there earlier this week, on print media, over the air and casual conversation.

O/T....Bob Lutz or Bob Barker in this photo?

Old 01-11-07, 10:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
haha if I were a consipracy theorist (which I'm not) I would say that Japan is doing economically to the US what it couldn't do militarily during during WWII.
Japan isn't doing anything negative to the US economy. Many, if not most Japanese vehicles are built state side which creates thousands of jobs here. Imports/exports and specialization all contribute positively the economy of both countries. It isn't Toyota's popularity that is hurting Ford and GM. Make no mistake, GM and Ford's troubles stem from within the companies.
Old 01-11-07, 10:42 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Japan isn't doing anything negative to the US economy. Many, if not most Japanese vehicles are built state side which creates thousands of jobs here. Imports/exports and specialization all contribute positively the economy of both countries. It isn't Toyota's popularity that is hurting Ford and GM. Make no mistake, GM and Ford's troubles stem from within the companies.
I was joking....geez

Quick Reply: GM Exec Says Toyota Rules Inside the Beltway