Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Voiding warranty?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 03:51 PM
2IS808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voiding warranty?!

I was told by my dealership and by a few other people that if i modded my car (which i was planning on doing but not so sure anymore) that i would void my warranty entirely. Anyone else given this some thought? true or false??
Old 01-09-07, 03:53 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They can only refuse a repair if the modification you made is directly attributable to the failure. That is, if you install a new intake and need a MAF sensor a few weeks later, it's your problem.

Some dealers are very liberal with the interpretation of this policy. Most are not, and will refuse repair.
Old 01-09-07, 04:10 PM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2IS808
I was told by my dealership and by a few other people that if i modded my car (which i was planning on doing but not so sure anymore) that i would void my warranty entirely. Anyone else given this some thought? true or false??
This is BS refer your dealer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act enacted by congress in 1975 US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

This page is a little easier to read and is specific to aftermarket parts:
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

SEMA: http://www.sema.org/Main/SemaOrgHome.aspx?ID=50100

Another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnussen-Moss_Act

And follow it up with a Lagasse "BAM"
Old 01-09-07, 04:17 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^thank you
Old 01-09-07, 04:23 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The one loophole I see in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is, unless I overlooked it, no place does it state who has the burden of proof. Is it you as the consumer that has to prove that the modification did not cause the failure, or is it the dealer that has to prove that it was the modification that caused the failure? I'm no lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, just something I noticed, or didn't notice rather.
Old 01-09-07, 04:29 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what type of mod you were planning on doing. I want to lower my car using different springs. I spoke to my dealer, who would have done it for me and kept warranty but for the fact my car is AWD. Anyways, they said that If i go with different springs I only lose warranty on the suspension parts and not the whole car.
Old 01-09-07, 05:49 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

i think its amusing that if the dealer does the moddification then the warranty is intact, but if you or even a qualified shop does the work then they whine about voiding the warranty, what i think it comes down to is who gets paid. Now if the dealer was comprable to a aftermarket shop with the install prices then I would not have an issue using them. But if they feel its nessacary to charge (hypothetically speaking) 500.00 to install springs plus they make you buy the springs from them at a mark up then that is redicoulous.
About what you said "If i go with different springs I only lose warranty on the suspension parts and not the whole car." that is a obvious issue, how would they void the warranty on any other part that you changed. Obviously if you put some eibachs on your car they are not going to honor the warranty work on that said part. For a dealer to say changing your springs voids the entire warranty is false information...........and they should be shot for implying it.
Old 01-09-07, 06:09 PM
2IS808
Rookie

so if i were to just get new rims/tires, HID fogs, coilover kit that wouldnt touch anything reguarding my engine warranty but pretty much void everything else right? at least until i put new intake/exhaust. then that would pretty much void my entire waranty since i have modded something in every system in my car right? electric/suspension/engine?? then my warranty is void altogether unless i have my dealership install the items listed for an obseen amount? If so. im not looking for any professional answer or going to hold anyone liable for anything said. -- What are the chances that something will need to be replaced on my car in the near future if i decide to say screw the warranty and just do the mods anyway? Im guessing most of u are going to say thats a mistake to do but i would like to hear your opinions on my options
Old 01-09-07, 06:18 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

My opinion... Don't mod anything that can't be easily returned to stock. If you get an intake, keep the stock parts. The thing is, if the dealers want to be dicks, and say your transmission fails, they can say that the added power from the intake or exhasut or whatever caused the tranny to fail. Atleast if you keep your stock parts you can put them back on before taking the car in.
Old 01-09-07, 06:31 PM
2IS808
Rookie

this is true. never really thought about that.
Old 01-09-07, 07:17 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
My opinion... Don't mod anything that can't be easily returned to stock. If you get an intake, keep the stock parts. The thing is, if the dealers want to be dicks, and say your transmission fails, they can say that the added power from the intake or exhasut or whatever caused the tranny to fail. Atleast if you keep your stock parts you can put them back on before taking the car in.
Just Kidding... thats what I would do as well..
Old 01-09-07, 07:20 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright how about this.

Servco here in Hawaii says I "CAN NOT" change my own oil/filter.

The change must be done by a "shop" and you must have a receipt for the service.

I asked if a receipt for oil and filter is enough, they said no, the receipt is to show proof that the work was done. I was so pissed but essentially 5 people told me the same thing.

So I said, what do I need a receipt from a "shop" showing that I have the correct airpressure in my tires dated every month? Where does it end.

Needless to say that question wasnt taken lightly.
Such bull****, anyone heard about this?

Last edited by Heltah; 01-09-07 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-09-07, 07:24 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Heltah
Alright how about this.

Servco here in Hawaii says I "CAN NOT" change my own oil/filter.

The change must be done by a "shop" and you must have a receipt for the service.

I asked if a receipt for oil and filter is enough, they said no, the receipt is to show proof that the work was done. I was so pissed but essentially 5 people told me the same thing.

Such bull****, anyone heard about this?

This is BS... I have seen many CL members doing it by themselves..they just want your CASH!!... bring it to Toyota dealership if a receipt is needed or if you know any buddies that work in auto shop that can issue you a receipt of job done.. darn!! these guys
Old 01-09-07, 07:35 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2IS808
so if i were to just get new rims/tires, HID fogs, coilover kit that wouldnt touch anything reguarding my engine warranty but pretty much void everything else right? at least until i put new intake/exhaust. then that would pretty much void my entire waranty since i have modded something in every system in my car right? electric/suspension/engine?? then my warranty is void altogether unless i have my dealership install the items listed for an obseen amount? If so. im not looking for any professional answer or going to hold anyone liable for anything said. -- What are the chances that something will need to be replaced on my car in the near future if i decide to say screw the warranty and just do the mods anyway? Im guessing most of u are going to say thats a mistake to do but i would like to hear your opinions on my options

First, the new rims/tires won't void any warranty -- those parts just won't be covered under the Lexus warranty. Same with HID fogs -- they won't be covered, NOT your entire electrical system. Coilover kit -- suspension won't be covered (of course you don't have theirs in the car so why would you care). Intake and exhaust aren't going to void the drivetrain warranty. Now, your dealership might "try" to say that anything voids the warranty, but if it came to court, you'd win.

But, as someone suggested, just keep the original components. You need warranty work, but the original stuff on and take it in and you won't even have to deal with them.
Old 01-09-07, 08:02 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

^ well put......
i agree, only mod the things you can bolt on. Springs, rims, HID's and such can easily be removed.

Quick Reply: Voiding warranty?!