Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Voiding warranty?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 09:59 PM
2IS808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK good idea from all of yas. Thanks for the good insight. Time for me to just go ape &%$ and pretty much do what i want. I am however gonna keep the old stock gear in sotrage for if/when something unfortunate happens. And yes. Servco Lexus of hawaii (which happens to be the only one in the entire island) also said that if i dont ahve it done by one of their service techs then I will have voided warranty as well by not maintaining my 5k checkups/oil/filter changes. hehe time for some fun anyways. Thanks for all your help. much apreciated
Old 01-10-07, 05:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homer4598
First, the new rims/tires won't void any warranty -- those parts just won't be covered under the Lexus warranty. Same with HID fogs -- they won't be covered, NOT your entire electrical system. Coilover kit -- suspension won't be covered (of course you don't have theirs in the car so why would you care). Intake and exhaust aren't going to void the drivetrain warranty. Now, your dealership might "try" to say that anything voids the warranty, but if it came to court, you'd win.

But, as someone suggested, just keep the original components. You need warranty work, but the original stuff on and take it in and you won't even have to deal with them.
It is possible that new wheels and tires could void a warranty. Just because the parts are aftermarket and not covered doesn't mean that the installation couldn't have been botched. Especially with electrical wiring. What if the shop over-torques those wheels and 3 month later the rotors are warped? Lexus has the right to deny the warranty claim. What if you lower your car and then start having trouble with your auto-leveling headlights? Believe it or not they ARE related. Again, claim denied. If the add on part or modification has anything to do with a failure the claim could be denied.
Old 01-10-07, 12:01 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but the burden is going to be on Lexus to prove that they were torqued wrong, etc.

Be careful with the HID's....I put some aftermarket HID 12k bulbs in my CL when I had it and when I had a problem with the headlight (totally unrelated to new bulbs), they said the bulbs were the cause of it and denied my claim....I had to pay for $2k headlight.