Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X5 tidbit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Lightbulb BMW X5 tidbit

In the new CAR they review the new X5. Bottom line they don't like the fact for everything it gains, it loses something in the process.

What was amazing to me, was BMW predicted they would sell 350,000 worldwide during the first gen's duration, and they sold over 600,000

Now that is a great business decision. I am also glad they are built in America (South Carolina) where its keeping us employed.

Old 01-08-07, 08:11 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

600K? Wow, I had no idea it was that many. Very successful indeed.
Old 01-08-07, 08:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Though they cost WAY MORE down here than in the U.S., even my friend at the Mercedes dealership at admitted that the X5 outsells their ML big time, and there is not much luxury competition down here in the SUV market.
Old 01-08-07, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow 600k, that's a lot. but i think it's possible, over the years i really see TONS of them everywhere
Old 01-08-07, 02:16 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The new one is even better. But I don't like the fact that it is assembled here in the U.S. Possible build quality issues may crop up. They should be built in Austria along with its little brother X3.
Old 01-08-07, 02:45 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The new one is even better. But I don't like the fact that it is assembled here in the U.S. Possible build quality issues may crop up. They should be built in Austria along with its little brother X3.
The quality issues that early X5 has is more related to the parts/materials used, and little with build quality and workmanship. Looks like BMW has learned a lot from the Z3 experience and apply the lesson to the much better profit model.
Old 01-08-07, 03:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In the new CAR they review the new X5. Bottom line they don't like the fact for everything it gains, it loses something in the process.

What was amazing to me, was BMW predicted they would sell 350,000 worldwide during the first gen's duration, and they sold over 600,000

Now that is a great business decision. I am also glad they are built in America (South Carolina) where its keeping us employed.
was it really that great of sucess? It sold for 7 years.

Thats average of 7,000 per month, for all world markets, and only in germany it averaged 20% of that.

Thats almost 3x less than RX350, which doesnt have an diesel engine in Europe.

No doubt an great car, but I very much doubt that they expected 350k in 7 years. That would be pretty bad.

Soon enough we will hear how X3 is an sucess too :P
Old 01-08-07, 04:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

One thing that I noticed and someone else pointed out to me down here is that BMW and Mercedes brought everyone of their models to Mexico, including those found in Europe. I was wondering if this was true in other countries, as even Toyota lacks its entire range along with companies like Honda, Acura. I wonder what a little more competition might do to those X5 sales. When I think luxury vehicles down here, it seems most of my friends have a 3 series, Mini and an occasional Audi.
Old 01-08-07, 04:32 PM
LexFather

The X5 has always been built in South Carolina. Woud you prefer it to be built in South Africa, where another BMW plant is?

Old 01-08-07, 05:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

The X5 has always been built in South Carolina. Woud you prefer it to be built in South Africa, where another BMW plant is?
Austria as mentioned in my previous post. Most BMW owners /enthusiasts would rather their vehicles be built where they were bred. I wonder how Porshe & Ferrari owners would react if their cars were being built in the U.S or China
Old 01-08-07, 05:51 PM
LexFather

Austria as mentioned in my previous post. Most BMW owners /enthusiasts would rather their vehicles be built where they were bred. I wonder how Porshe & Ferrari owners would react if their cars were being built in the U.S or China
Austria ain't Germany. And gotta love mitsubishi turbos in the 335, or the old GM automatics in the old BMWs.

I agree, I don't want my BMW made anywhere but home like my Lexus or my Benz. But we do live in a WORLD market, with parts oursourced everywhere.

The badge might say one country but its really a sum of parts from all over.

Old 01-08-07, 06:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Austria ain't Germany. And gotta love mitsubishi turbos in the 335, or the old GM automatics in the old BMWs.

I agree, I don't want my BMW made anywhere but home like my Lexus or my Benz. But we do live in a WORLD market, with parts oursourced everywhere.

The badge might say one country but its really a sum of parts from all over.
BMW's are bred in Austria as well. Perhaps you need to see this video Mike

http://youtube.com/watch?v=10xz0U68t...elated&search=
Old 01-08-07, 07:05 PM
Stormwind
Racer

For some reason when I saw build in Austria, I picture a lot of surfer dudes with long hair and no shirt building those cars.
Old 01-08-07, 07:11 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
was it really that great of sucess? It sold for 7 years.

Thats average of 7,000 per month, for all world markets, and only in germany it averaged 20% of that.

Thats almost 3x less than RX350, which doesnt have an diesel engine in Europe.

No doubt an great car, but I very much doubt that they expected 350k in 7 years. That would be pretty bad.

Soon enough we will hear how X3 is an sucess too :P

It is amazing they can sell it for 7 years straight without having to redesign it, shows how much they got it right from day one.

You can't compare the sales figure for X5 to RX because they cost more than twice the Rx at the baseline price.
Old 01-08-07, 08:24 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormwind
It is amazing they can sell it for 7 years straight without having to redesign it, shows how much they got it right from day one.

You can't compare the sales figure for X5 to RX because they cost more than twice the Rx at the baseline price.
Even though the X5 does NOT cost more than twice the RX at the baseline price, I agree with your point in the first paragraph. For a car that's built in one plant only, sharing the assembly line with two other models, and is targeted to one sole market at the beginning, that's a very impressive sales figure.

Some people gotta take off their Lexus/Toyota glasses and understand that the world is not against Lexus/Toyota, and some other car manufacturers can be praised for their success as well.

Quick Reply: BMW X5 tidbit