Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 01:49 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Your Help

My wife and I are in the market for a new vechile. This will be for my wife to drive. She wants a SUV or crossover vechile, what ever you want to call it.

Currently, we have three cars:
02 Nissan Altima 3.5 - 80,000 miles
97 Toyota Camry V6 - 160,000 miles
95 Lexus SC 400 - 112,000 miles (just purchased in April)

We are looking for a nicely equppied (leather, fogs, prem. sound, & hid's if possible) 2004 or newer SUV for about $20,000. I know the hid's I may have to install myself. The plan is to sell or trade in the Camry.

In the hunt:
Nissan Marano - Nice power and style and Wife likes
Toyota Highlander - Ok looks, but nothing spectacular; can't beat Toyota Mitsubishi Endeavor - Under powered, but nicely equipped.Can't beat price.

Can you all think of any other SUV/cross overs that fit what we're looking for?

My plan:
Install hid's and 20's.
I saw a Toureg w/ some OZ's yesterday and it looked lovely.

Thanks for your help.

Mousiee
Old 01-07-07, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You didn't mention if you wanted a 2WD or an 4WD SUV.....I'm going to assume an AWD one since most people buy them that way.

The Highlander is an excellent choice, as is the Honda Pilot, which was not on your posted list. The Highlander, of course, is Camry-based, and the Pilot is Accord-based. Both have rather low depreciation due to their high demand as used vehicles as well as new.
I wouldn't buy an Endeavor myself, but NOT because of reliability issues ( Consumer reports gives it a very high reliability rating ) but because of its looks....the odd, geeky exterior styling and the huge, silver, boom-box-style dash is just not my cup of tea.

If you DO look at a used Highlander, particularly with the 3.0 V6, BE SURE that the vehicle's service history, and particularly oil changes, is fully documented. It is a great and reliable vehicle if serviced properly, but that particular engine is NOT forgiving of extended oil changes. Let the oil go too long and it gells up, sludges, and ruins the engine. Much has been written both on and of CL about this....myself included.

Also worthy of mention ( and not just because I myself own one ) is the Subaru Forester and Outback, especially in the upper-trim leather versions you would probably want...that would mean look at the L.L. Bean or VDC versions first, although leather is available in some other trim lines as well. Subaru wrote the book on reliable, simple, inexpensive ( under $35,000 ) AWD systems, but avoid the 2.5 L flat-4 engines from 1999-2002......they had head-gasket and some wheel bearing issues. The 2003 engines were better, but try and get a 2004 or later if possible. The head-gasket issue was pretty much over by then. Also, be sure to adequately test-drive an AWD non-turbo 2.5L Subaru before buying...you may find that drivetrain combination to be underpowered for your tastes, meaning to then look at the 3.0 H6 or turbo-4 versions, but both of those, unlike the non-turbo 4, use premium gas.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-07-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 02:55 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You didn't mention if you wanted a 2WD or an 4WD SUV.....I'm going to assume an AWD one since most people buy them that way.

The Highlander is an excellent choice, as is the Honda Pilot, which was not on your list. The Highlander, of course, is Camry-based, and the Pilot is Accord-based. Both have rather low depreciation due to their high demand as used vehicles as well as new.
I wouldn't buy an Endeavor myself, but NOT because of reliability issues ( Consumer reports gives it a very high reliability rating ) but because of its looks....the odd, geeky exterior styling and the huge, silver, boom-box-style dash is just not my cup of tea.
Thanks for your reply. We like the Pilot also. I forgot about that one.

The Endeavor is only an option because of the wife. She likes getting a lot for little money. The styling is terrible, to me!

I wish I could get something a little higher end, but on well!
Old 01-07-07, 03:04 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mousiee
Thanks for your reply. We like the Pilot also. I forgot about that one.

The Endeavor is only an option because of the wife. She likes getting a lot for little money. The styling is terrible, to me!

I wish I could get something a little higher end, but on well!
Btw, 4WD or 2WD does not matter. If I had to choose 2WD, because they are generally lower to the ground

Sorry, it wouldn't let me edit.
Old 01-07-07, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you choose a 2WD SUV, look at one with FWD rather than RWD. FWD, all else equal, is far better in rain and snow than RWD.
2WD SUV's, as used vehicles, are also somewhat more difficult to find than 4WD/AWD ones because not as many new ones are sold in the first place, and, like with Subarus, AWD is standard on many of them and 2WD is not an option.
Old 01-07-07, 03:14 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

If you choose a 2WD SUV, look at one with FWD rather than RWD. FWD, all else equal, is far better in rain and snow than RWD.
2WD SUV's, as used vehicles, are also somewhat more difficult to find than 4WD/AWD ones because not as many new ones are sold in the first place, and, like with Subarus, AWD is standard on many of them and 2WD is not an option.
I like the Forester, but my wife doesn't. I am a fan of wagons also, especially turbo wagons
Old 01-07-07, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I also forgot to include the Hyundai Santa Fe as a possible deal. A number of them were sold as FWD versions.
Now that the new, totally redesigned 2007 model is out ( see my attached review ) the prices on used 2006 and older ones will now drop as well. The last-generation model was a pretty nice and reliable product, ( forget the long-ago junk image of the Hyundai nameplate ) but suffered from a little tire noise......different tires might change that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257754
Old 01-07-07, 03:27 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

I also forgot to include the Hyundai Santa Fe as a possible deal. A number of them were sold as FWD versions.
Now that the new, totally redesigned 2007 model is out ( see my attached review ) the prices on used 2006 and older ones will now drop as well. The last-generation model was a pretty nice and reliable product, ( forget the long-ago junk image of the Hyundai nameplate ) but suffered from a little tire noise......different tires might change that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257754
Thanks for the link