Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WSJ Article...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 11:41 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WSJ Article...

I like the comical comment about the Honda Civic crowd.

THE DRIVER'S SEAT
By JEFF SABATINI

BMW Recharges a Favorite
December 22, 2006; Page W11C

Ask anyone who makes a living reviewing cars to choose a daily driver, and chances are good that a BMW 3-Series will be their pick. For going on two decades, BMW's best-selling model has been a favorite of driving enthusiasts, taking up residence on Car and Driver magazine's "10 Best" list back in 1992 and remaining there ever since.

It's unsurprising, then, that the redesigned 2007 BMW 3-Series coupe sticks to the same basic recipe. But its exhilarating power, exceptional handling and classy sheet metal make it the best of its ilk since Bill Clinton lived on Pennsylvania Avenue. The new coupe plays to its core supporters as predictably as a presidential fund-raiser, yet some of its most notable changes hint at a new constituency: the import "tuner" crowd.

BMW's new 335i adds touches that may draw the speed-minded 'tuner' crowd.
Yes, that would be those youthful drivers who think the only thing sweeter than a buzzing 4-inch exhaust tip is the sound of a chattering turbocharger, whose Honda Civics sport wings larger than a HondaJet airplane.

If the thought of these punks rolling along in Bimmers seems odd, consider that according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association, which represents makers of auto add-ons, the tuner crowd generated $5.04 billion in U.S. retail sales last year. Clearly, these kids merit their reputation for sinking every last bit of disposable income into their cars. But it's been over a decade since the tuner scene got its start in Southern California, so many of them are now well into their 30s and hold down jobs that pay more than delivering pizzas.

BMW may not admit to actively courting this market, but it can't pretend it isn't aware of the import tuners. No one in the car business underestimates them as style mavens or doubts their influence on automotive trends. (It wasn't an auto maker that decided that big, 18-inch wheels look cool.) And even if the Germans didn't hold a marketing clinic for tuners to ponder the direction of the new 3-Series coupe, the results speak for themselves.

Exhibit A is that the top-of-the-line 3-Series now has a turbocharged engine. Tuners like turbos because they can dramatically boost horsepower, and the 335i has not just one but two of them. They help launch the car like a weapon snapped from a catapult. The 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine puts out an impressive 300 horsepower, but what's really amazing is its peak torque output of 300 pound-feet occurs when the engine is revving as low as 1,400 rpm. This makes for brutal acceleration at any speed, and rewards a medieval driving style in which every car on the road is fair game for passing.

For all its potential energy, however, the 3-Series coupe looks best standing still. The car has graceful lines and a skin that seems elegantly draped over its structure, the simplest and most stunning BMW design in years. The coupe's curves are more traditional than the controversial and cacophonous blend of convex and concave shapes that have come to be associated with Chris Bangle, BMW's oft-criticized design director. Parked next to a 3-Series sedan or wagon, the two-door version is even easier to appreciate. Long and sleek, the coupe appears to ride much lower to the ground than its misshapen siblings, an illusion that is helped by its optional 18-inch wheels and low-profile tires. The kids might call it "pre-slammed."

They should also appreciate what BMW calls the belt feeder, a pair of arms that automatically pop out from behind the front seats to push the seatbelts forward, in true Pimp My Ride fashion. This is a novel, if unnecessary, feature, however, and it grows tiring to have to wait for the belt to be delivered each time you hop in the car.

Warm and Inviting

But other new features on the 3-Series coupe represent actual advances, including what seems to be the quickest-shifting conventional automatic transmission extant. This new optional six-speed unit is available with de rigueur steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

The interior in the 3-Series is warm and inviting, and puts the cold austerity of BMW's more expensive coupe, the $74,000 650i, to shame. BMW's infernal iDrive interface -- a multifunction **** and menu system for the radio, climate control and other accessories that many customers have found difficult to master -- is optional rather than standard, another major selling point.

Japanese manufacturers are going after the same market as BMW -- and would like to hold on to the tuner crowd if they move up to luxury brands. When the time comes to trade in that clapped-out Honda Prelude there are certainly some reasonable options, starting with Honda's Acura TSX and TL. Nissan took its own very strong shot at BMW with the 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan; a redesigned coupe version of the G will be arriving next year. Toyota has been trying to clone the 3-Series sedan itself for the past six years, through two generations of its Lexus IS. Even Toyota's Scion tC begs to be considered a half-price, imitation 3-Series coupe.

These are all good cars, but BMW's cachet comes in large part from the fact it offers no mainstream products to taint its bloodline. Younger car enthusiasts may be brash, but they're not ignorant. They know the 3-Series is authentic, and no matter how close the competition matches the BMW in performance or beats it on price, the Japanese are still the imitators.

Write to Jeff Sabatini at jeff.sabatini@wsj.com
Old 12-22-06, 12:59 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

that article pisses me off. The tuner crowd is not all a bunch of wanna-bes that they are making people picture. Thats not even the real tuner crowd. Tuning cars is a respectable hobby and occupation and with 5 billion in revenue its obviously not something thats going away.

Yea there are a lot of idiots out there that do stupid things with their cars and drive like morons but that is not the "tuner crowd" this person describes. Its a passion that most of us here share, we like to mod our cars to our tastes and some people make a stereotype because of those who suck at it.

This article somewhat offends me and shows a person that knows nothing about the auto industry and current trends.
Old 12-22-06, 01:08 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great article. Speaking of trends, Technology firsts at a glance

1. Seat occupant detection
2. anti lock brakes
3. dynamic stability control
4. active roll stabilization
5. coded key
6. park distance control
7. hid lights
8. navigation system
9. head protection air bags
10. angel eyes

All started by the company in the article. All other companies have followed.
Old 12-22-06, 11:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

add one more...
Bluetooth integration
Old 12-23-06, 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I like the 335i, and I like the WSJ, but I have to agree that it is not just kids sinking their disposable income, but a lot of people modify and tune cars and they are not just kids. I am an instructor at my track and although a good part are people younger than I am (and I am in my 30s), we have people my age and older who want to learn about driving the 1/4 mile and also how to modify and improve their cars, not throwing fancy spoilers on the backs of their civics.
Old 12-23-06, 07:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

While it's certainly not all teenagers and 20 somethings in Civics - go to NOPI and that's the vast majority of it.
Old 12-23-06, 09:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Great article. Speaking of trends, Technology firsts at a glance

1. Seat occupant detection
2. anti lock brakes
3. dynamic stability control
4. active roll stabilization
5. coded key
6. park distance control
7. hid lights
8. navigation system
9. head protection air bags
10. angel eyes

All started by the company in the article. All other companies have followed.

I don't see Quality Control in that list... Oh Yeah! I forgot! We're talking about a BMW here.... oops wrong thread.

Most of those things you list are so VAGUE that they could have been on any car. Dynamic stability control? Give me a break dude. We all know you like BMW A LOT No need to be a fanboy

I don't visit CL as much as I used to... lately I've seen its been invaded by BMW-worshippers. There's a dozen cars I'd love to get once I finish school... there is NO BMW on that list.... not out of any hate for the brand; but because I don't find any of their cars very exciting (and yes I can afford them )
Old 12-23-06, 10:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
While it's certainly not all teenagers and 20 somethings in Civics - go to NOPI and that's the vast majority of it.
The real tuner crowd is exemplified by what I call the "upper tier" of members on Supraforums. The people that stay out of OT generally; those that own many cars and/or many EXPENSIVE cars; and those that are very mature and contribute to the community.

Go over to the dyno section and look at allll the 600whp+ Supras on there; THATS a tuner crowd. I'm not surprised though, most of the articles from any kind of publication are usually obviously underresearched/underdeveloped.
Old 12-24-06, 12:00 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
Most of those things you list are so VAGUE that they could have been on any car. Dynamic stability control? Give me a break dude. We all know you like BMW A LOT No need to be a fanboy
Vague? The list is vague? Do you even know what dynamic stability control is?

edit: nope, just checked, your cars don't have it......that might explain things a bit.

Last edited by doug_999; 12-24-06 at 12:07 AM.