Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

bmw dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 09:56 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default bmw dealer

I went to the BMW dealer to buy a 328xi...they had a few on the lot and the one I wanted had minimal options and stickered for 41k with a 2k dealer mark up.

After the sales pitch on how this was the best car for the last 15 years and all the gee whizz features...I took it for a test drive,

After I spun it around for 15 minutes, I tried to haggle over the price...and said I would drive it off the lot now for 36,500...

filled out some paperwork, an hour goes by...so I ask if this is going to happen??

Get a sales manager to try to pitch me some more on the free service for 4 years, etc... and I finally get irritated and mention I own a is250awd and this car is actually nicer than the one I want to buy but just dont want to own the same car as my wifes...

He walks back into his office and comes back to inform me they dont want to sell me a BMW because I dont really want one...I should go buy another Lexus.

urghh, almost 2 hours wasted to be told they dont want to sell me the car because I dont really love it...

I did like the car, its just not as nice to me as the lexus, and I really dont want to own 2 of the same cars...so I need some help on anothe r awd car to own other than the is250awd and under 40k?

can you believe that****, any recommendations?
Old 12-07-06, 11:38 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the new G35X or an Audi A4 Quatro?
Old 12-07-06, 11:45 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get a different color IS...

Javier
Old 12-08-06, 12:07 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Wow, you were totally treated like crap... that's ridiculous man. If it were me, I wouldn't have let that slide.
Old 12-08-06, 01:44 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

it seems that bmw dealership knows they can't compare to lexus..
Old 12-08-06, 02:05 AM
Wests
Lead Lap

Pompous A**holes. I would have been fuming! I would get the G35X if you want AWD. I've test driven one, and for the price it's pretty damn hard to beat.
Old 12-08-06, 08:13 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a typical BMW Dealer, however IMO we are missing part of the story.
Old 12-08-06, 08:25 AM
lexKimmel
Driver

Its a sales tactic they figure your there for a reason (you like the car) so there taking a shot at you. Wait they wil call you. but I would still buy the Lexus it will be in the shop alot less
Old 12-08-06, 08:29 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would write the GM, Corp. and whomever else you can think of there a thank you letter, letting them know that you're glad their sales manager stopped you from making a huge mistake. It's not every day that a dealership will refuse to sell you a car becauase they feel you won't appreciat it. Just imagine how they would treat when you brought it in for service.

If you don't want a second IS I would look at the G35 or A4
Old 12-08-06, 08:34 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

1. Do you know remember the name of the salesperson?
2. If you do call the dealership and ask for the gm.
3. Tell him about your experience and ask him if is their policy to treat customers like this.
4. Let him know that no matter what you will never buy a BMW because of "your attitude" and you are writing a letter to BMW about your experience.
5. Go and buy another car.

At my old job all we did was build car dealerships and I can tell you from experience that the GM or the Dealer (person who owns the dealership) would be VERY upset at this type of tactic. Bottom line is they were going to make a bad deal for them (as in the salesman) and they wanted to get out of it or get more money out of you, my guess is the latter.

When I was at a Chevy delership wih the dealer we came out of a meeting to se a salesman not treating a customer right. He marched over and fired the guy on the spot and got her the gm to do the sale.
Old 12-08-06, 08:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jherb350
I would write the GM, Corp. and whomever else you can think of there a thank you letter, letting them know that you're glad their sales manager stopped you from making a huge mistake. It's not every day that a dealership will refuse to sell you a car becauase they feel you won't appreciat it. Just imagine how they would treat when you brought it in for service.

If you don't want a second IS I would look at the G35 or A4
That is what I would do. All my buds with BMWs, they like the cars even with the problems and all admit they put up all sorts of crap from the dealership.

Of course what people will say here is their dealer is the best and actually better than Lexus when the reality is, it is a figment of their imagination or they are in the very,very, very tiny minority.

The last time I WENT to a BMW dealership, not one person even approached me.

Old 12-08-06, 08:47 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
1. Do you know remember the name of the salesperson?
2. If you do call the dealership and ask for the gm.
3. Tell him about your experience and ask him if is their policy to treat customers like this.
4. Let him know that no matter what you will never buy a BMW because of "your attitude" and you are writing a letter to BMW about your experience.
5. Go and buy another car.

At my old job all we did was build car dealerships and I can tell you from experience that the GM or the Dealer (person who owns the dealership) would be VERY upset at this type of tactic. Bottom line is they were going to make a bad deal for them (as in the salesman) and they wanted to get out of it or get more money out of you, my guess is the latter.

When I was at a Chevy delership wih the dealer we came out of a meeting to se a salesman not treating a customer right. He marched over and fired the guy on the spot and got her the gm to do the sale.

The gm/dealer actually cares when a customer complains???
Why don't they teach/train the salesman in the beginning/during the interview not to be a-holes and just sell the damn car no matter what it takes-besides lieing/telling tall-tales stories.

Of course not all bmw dealers are like this. But can you imagine taking your car for service there?

Don't forget Subaru for the awd-mmarshall will highly recommend
Old 12-08-06, 08:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me as though you ran up against a BMW dealer who takes pride in his product.

First you ask for a significant discount, then you insult that which you wish discounted.

And you are seriously asking about what happened?

I think you already know the answer to your own question.
Old 12-08-06, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

some people (sales) are just so arrogant, they suck

i would definitely write to the GM. care less about the outcome, if any, but i sure would want to let them know
Old 12-08-06, 09:40 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

^agree w/ ES350bob but the salesman should have tried harder.

Quick Reply: bmw dealer