Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Transporting my IS

Old 12-05-06, 09:56 AM
Acinonyx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting my IS

Car Chat's probably not the right area to ask this question, so mods feel free to move it, but I can't think of where

Anyway....I'm having my IS350 transported from cross country from N.Carolina to California. Here's the question: Is there any prep work I should do to the car before handing it over?
I will be taking complete pictures of the car before it goes on the truck, but thats all I can think to do. (bubble wrap taped to the windshield? )
Thanks for any tips
Old 12-05-06, 10:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

nsxprime has some good suggestions you might want to peek at. Not all apply, but some good caveats

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/shipping.htm
Old 12-05-06, 10:18 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother trucks exotic antique, and custom cars all over the country for celebrities and the über rich. If you use a reputable national carrier like his (Intercity Lines) then you should have no worries. You don't have to do a thing. They'll take care of everything and make sure your baby arrives safe and sound. I've seen the steps that he takes and it's impressive.

It's always a good idea to take pictures, though!
Old 12-05-06, 08:45 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

invest some $$ on bubble wrap. My uncle transported his 99 camry from atlanta to CA and the front bumper and rear spoiler had deep gashes in them when he picked it up
Old 12-05-06, 09:37 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Painter's tape on the body. Bubble wrap the glass.

But honestly if it's a good transport company nothing should happen to it. But accidents do happen. If they offer some sort of insurance in case the transport truck gets into an accident than that's something you could buy into. Just read the liabilities that they have to take into account carefully. And if you fear that your car will get some damage, painter's tape (peels off real easily, the blue kind and doesn't leave residue), bubble wrap the glass (windshields, mirrors, head lights and tail lights, windows, etc.), the drive train underneath probably won't suffer damage and if you're worried about the wheels get some cloth covers for the wheels.

Hope this helps but most importantly read the details on what they are held liable for.
Old 12-06-06, 12:38 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
nsxprime has some good suggestions you might want to peek at. Not all apply, but some good caveats

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/shipping.htm
very good website dave !! but the owner was mistaken about using the "J" hook it is the "T" hook not the j hook as described but th average joe wouldnt know that i had some time doing this for celebs as well