Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Sues Carmakers (including Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 12:06 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation California Sues Carmakers (including Toyota)

Cali Sues Carmakers Over Greenhouse Effect
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed suit against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other carmakers on Wednesday, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

Old 09-20-06, 12:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Wonder if this is not just a pressure tactic used to bring about a possible negotiation on some point.
Old 09-20-06, 12:14 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but wait, how can they be responsible as they are complying w/ the US GOVERNMENT's requirements? and usually Fed laws supercedes state laws? WTF! Only in my state.
Old 09-20-06, 12:15 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Is Arnold THAT desperate now ?
Old 09-20-06, 12:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by foofighter
but wait, how can they be responsible as they are complying w/ the US GOVERNMENT's requirements? and usually Fed laws supercedes state laws? WTF! Only in my state.
Remembering my administrative and constitutional, I think with the law here, they need to at least meet the U.S. government requirements...but nothing stops them from being stricter.

Another thing is that I think this also had to with something related to the fact that CA had inspections before the U.S. government even stepped in on the issue nationally. Something about whether states can follow the CA or the U.S. standard.

I really feel sorry for our Lexus colleagues in CA having to deal with CARB...inspections...referrees...etc.
Old 09-20-06, 12:31 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty silly. The state is the one setting the strict emissions. They are also the ones who issue driver's licenses & vehicle registrations. If emissions was causing the state money, all they had to do was reduce its output by limiting licenses & registration. Unless license & registration + taxes was bringing in more $$$ then the cost of greenhouse gases.
Old 09-20-06, 12:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ntran18
Pretty silly. The state is the one setting the strict emissions. They are also the ones who issue driver's licenses & vehicle registrations. If emissions was causing the state money, all they had to do was reduce its output by limiting licenses & registration. Unless license & registration + taxes was bringing in more $$$ then the cost of greenhouse gases.
That is a good point. What they do where I live in Mexico City metro area is to limit 10+ year old cars to driving one less day M-F, based on the last number on the license plate). I do not think such an idea would go over well in CA, here it just meant people bought another car.

When my parents and I live in Caracas, I sort of remember they had an odd/even deal.

Turns out problem down here was and always has been the gas, even after catalytic converters were standard, but even that is improving down here.
Old 09-20-06, 12:42 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

we dont have inspections like the the Northeast...we just have really strict emission standards that seems to be followed by the rest of the union.

But to say that the emissions of these cars caused the state money when CA is what, the 9 largest economy in the world? is a bit hard to swallow.

I would venture to guess that as technology improved overall emissions have improved. And if it's such a concern, take the cars that are 10+ old off the road! But i'm sure that would cause a majore feces storm
Old 09-20-06, 12:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

we dont have inspections like the the Northeast...we just have really strict emission standards that seems to be followed by the rest of the union.

But to say that the emissions of these cars caused the state money when CA is what, the 9 largest economy in the world? is a bit hard to swallow.

I would venture to guess that as technology improved overall emissions have improved. And if it's such a concern, take the cars that are 10+ old off the road! But i'm sure that would cause a majore feces storm
What I meant to say regarding inspections is something along the line of police looking at modifications.

One thing I was reading in another article on the subject was the concern on the part of the automakers that CA may be trying to informally regulate MPG, something which is not in their domain from my legal interpretation.
Old 09-20-06, 12:53 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

And if it's such a concern, take the cars that are 10+ old off the road! But i'm sure that would cause a majore feces storm
If they did that, how would the illegal aliens get to work?

This is just Lockyer trying to be Eliot Spitzer, Jr. The New Mafia stealing the tactics of the old one.
Old 09-20-06, 12:55 PM
ic144
Driver

That's just wrong. Toyota and Honda engines have at least the ULEV I rating. The Honda Accord I believe is currently SULEV. And it'a gasoline engine too.
Old 09-20-06, 01:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im sure CA taxpayers are happy with this one, that their money is being spent on ridiculous things

and other reason not to live in cali, one of many
Old 09-20-06, 01:49 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

This completete and utter BS and the State of California and the City of San Francisco should be ashamed for being complete ignoramous's (sp?) Do they not realize that cows farting cause more green house emissions than just about any car. Also take a look at the how many buses and commercial vehicles are spewing out black fumes everywhere.
Old 09-20-06, 01:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

California Sues GM, Ford, Toyota Over Global Warming

Sept. 20 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and four other automakers were sued by California for making vehicles that contribute to global warming, causing pollution and erosion that costs the state millions of dollars.

The lawsuit filed today in U.S. District Court in Oakland said General Motors, Ford, Toyota Motor Corp., DaimlerChrysler AG, Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co., the six largest automakers in the U.S., have created a ``public nuisance'' by making millions of vehicles that emit huge quantities of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming.

The suit, which seeks damages related to pollution, beach erosion and reduced water supplies, is the latest action by California to push businesses and the federal government to address global warming. The legislature approved a measure last month to force utilities to cut emissions, and the state has sued the U.S. for failing to address the effects of global warming.

``Vehicle emissions are the single most rapidly growing source of the carbon emissions contributing to global warming, yet the federal government and the automakers have refused to act,'' said California Attorney General Bill Lockyer in a statement.

California has already targeted carmakers with rules that would require them to lower emissions. The state enacted rules in 2004 that would force them to cut the amount of carbon dioxide and other tailpipe gases by up to 30 percent in cars sold in the state. Several other states have adopted or are weighing similar rules.

Overturn

Edward Cohen, a spokesman for Honda, and Dave Barthmuss, a spokesman for General Motors, didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

Automakers are suing to overturn these rules. Redesigning cars to address such restrictions would cost the industry billions of dollars, carmakers have claimed, especially in the California market. The state asked a federal court on Sept. 15 to throw the case out. The judge has yet to rule.

California legislators approved the toughest pollution limits in the U.S. last month, requiring utilities, oil refineries and other companies to cut emissions tied to global warming by 25 percent in the next 14 years. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who is seeking re-election this year, said he supports the measure.

Burning Gasoline

Carbon dioxide is a byproduct of burning gasoline. Car companies say the only way to meet California's emissions rules is to reduce vehicle fuel consumption. They claim the state is trying to regulate fuel economy, or the number of miles a car runs on a gallon of gas, a standard which is set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Automakers including GM, Honda, and Toyota said they are developing so-called fuel-cell cars in response to consumer demand for better fuel economy amid higher gas prices. Fuel cells produce only water vapor as a byproduct.

The lawsuit is California v. General Motors, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZ4gr6yG.qto
Old 09-20-06, 02:24 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yay for tree-hugging liberals...

just wonderful....just wonderful...

Quick Reply: California Sues Carmakers (including Toyota)