Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the Lexus' corporate standard for exterior body panel gaps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 12:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the Lexus' corporate standard for exterior body panel gaps?

A guy I know was saying that all GM vehicles released as ground up designs from 2005 MY on forward have a corporate standard of 3.5mm panel gaps on the exterior. This includes unibody and body on frame designs except for the Corvette which has to stick with 5mm gaps in some areas due to the extensive use of composite body panels that tend to expand and contract more in the sun and cold.

He also said he measured the gaps on an RX300 and they were 5mm and somewhat inconsistant to his surprise.

Granted the RX300 came out 8 years ago so the fact that a brand new 2006 design Chevy has 1.5mm tighter panel gaps doesn't really strike me as odd. Caddy sure as hell didn't have 3.5mm panel gaps back then either.

But my question is, what is the Lexus standard today for panel gaps? Is it an across the board standard for all new designs after a certain model year, like GM did? Or does it vary from vehicle to vehicle? If it varies, does anyone know what it is for say, an RX or an ES? What about the LS430 compared to the LS460?

How do, say, the gaps on an 07 Camry compare to an 07 ES? Probably the same.

Personally I don't care that much, but this guy did and brought up some interesting comparisons of progress.
Old 11-06-06, 07:08 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I'm still curious about this - somebody has to know. I heard somebody mention the LS460 sets a 'new standard' for gap tightness and uniformity, but does anybody know what that number is, exactly?
Old 11-06-06, 07:17 AM
LexFather

I do know Lexus has to have at least 1/2 the gaps of a Toyota......
Not really sure though...

Old 11-06-06, 07:23 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do know Lexus has to have at least 1/2 the gaps of a Toyota......
Not really sure though...
That's probably the case with some models but not all. Especially those built in the same factory like the 4Runner and GX470. I've measured gaps on those two and they're identical. Then again gap tightness on body on frame (truck) platforms typically is limited by frame bending than it is by any other limitations.
Old 11-06-06, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
That's probably the case with some models but not all. Especially those built in the same factory like the 4Runner and GX470. I've measured gaps on those two and they're identical. Then again gap tightness on body on frame (truck) platforms typically is limited by frame bending than it is by any other limitations.
No, not just frame bending. That's part of it, but hot-weather testing also has to be done in direct desert sunlight to make sure that the body panels don't expand so much from the heat that they bind against one another when you are trying to open or shut doors, hood, or trunk.
People used to criticize the plastic-bodied Saturns for wide panel gaps, unfairly...............ignorant of the fact that plastic expands in the heat more than steel or aluminum and that those wide gaps were necessary to accomodate expansion and contraction.
Old 11-06-06, 09:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, not just frame bending. That's part of it, but hot-weather testing also has to be done in direct desert sunlight to make sure that the body panels don't expand so much from the heat that they bind against one another when you are trying to open or shut doors, hood, or trunk.
People used to criticize the plastic-bodied Saturns for wide panel gaps, unfairly...............ignorant of the fact that plastic expands in the heat more than steel or aluminum and that those wide gaps were necessary to accomodate expansion and contraction.
Well yes, as mentioned in my first post, composite body panels do expand and shrink a WHOLE lot more than steel - this affects the corvette, and yes, saturns too.

But the gaps for body on frame trucks and SUVs, so long as they are using standard steel body panels like, well, every one I can think of currently in production... is not limited by expansion and contraction. They're limited by frame flex - at least in the gaps that would be affected by flex.
Old 11-06-06, 03:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

perhaps drop by your local Lexus dealer with a measuring tape??
Old 11-06-06, 03:12 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Measuring tape won't work too well. Calipers would, but I'd feel like a pretty big weird spending 10 minutes measuring the gaps on all the models on the lot.

Lexus prides itself on quality including tight even panel gaps, so why no publically published numbers? Are they not as impressed as they say they are?
Old 11-06-06, 03:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I dont think they release the numbers because quite frankly, 98%+ of the consumers would not care about it as long as it works
Old 11-06-06, 10:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need. Just measure the LS460 and measure the LX470. That should give you the difference between the tightest and the widest (since the LX is the oldest vehicle there).
Old 11-07-06, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
We are a long way past that stage today. ( Yes, I know you were just kidding )Today it is done with laser measuring gear ....in microns......when the assembly plant is tooled up for production.