Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CLS55 AMG vs BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 10:14 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLS55 AMG vs BMW M5

CLS55 AMG vs BMW M5

Which would you choose and why? Given both vehicles are outstanding and offer an incredible driving experience - the M5 is selling very close to MSRP and sometimes 5-10k over. I am sick of my LX470 and it's sluggish boring qualities but I guess that's what I get for trying to pimp an SUV....

Given that you would have the opportunity to buy a 2007 Escalade for COST AND purchase one of these (I know I know.....escalade = poop...bad quality....****ty materials....tahoe like feel..) but whatever. which would you choose?

PS-Are there any specific tuning options for the V10 M5? Looking to get 600+ HP.

Thanks guys!

LL
Old 04-15-06, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, style wise, it's all about cls55, but that's if you don't care about rear seats
performance wise it's all about m5. but that's if you really don't care about exterior....

really tough choice...... if i already have another car with space, maybe i will opt with the cls55, much better styling imho, though with less performance aspect (especially handling)
Old 04-15-06, 11:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default For me . . .

M6 > CLS63 > CLS55 > M5

Can't stand the styling of the 5 inside & out . . . CLS looks better than the M6 but I'd go for the M6 because it will be a better driver's car, I would want it with a manual though.(they will offer the 6 with a manual right ? )
Old 04-15-06, 11:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

my choice would be M5. even tho i really love the styling of CLS, i question MB sometimes. I went to the BMW dealer two days ago and i saw a black M6 there and the sale guy said it was avaliable for sale. And i saw two M5 there also. I just couldnt stop smiling looking at M5. It was just lovely.

I am hoping to have the same problem as you have right now in very near future. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-15-06, 11:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I would def pick the MB CLS63 AMG-updated from 55...........The car is just so nice and classy looking, it really looks unique in a good way. Its probably one of my favorite designs.

The M5 is def the better performer but its exterior/interior styling leaves much to be desired. I guess it depends what u want more - hard core performer(M5) or luxury based performer(CLS).
Old 04-15-06, 11:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by genearch
Yes, the M6 should be available with a manual in a year or so. Why would you want a manual when a SMG III would likely be quicker.
To me a manual is not about whether it will be marginally quicker or slower than SMG, it's the fun & control of shifting with a foot clutch. Nothing else I've tried is a substitute for that in a sporty car. I would' ve pick the manual with the new 997 turbo too(if I can afford it ) even though they say the tiptronic is marginally faster.
Old 04-16-06, 04:59 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
Yes, the M6 should be available with a manual in a year or so. Why would you want a manual when a SMG III would likely be quicker.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46792
Old 04-16-06, 05:43 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

doesn't the new M6 cost as much as a 997GT3?
Old 04-16-06, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
To me a manual is not about whether it will be marginally quicker or slower than SMG, it's the fun & control of shifting with a foot clutch. Nothing else I've tried is a substitute for that in a sporty car.
Kind of depends on the type of driving you do most of the time. If stop and go in a city then a stick can get old.
Old 04-16-06, 07:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

M6 costs like 18k more for the virtually the same performance numbers as the M5, but the M5 styling is horrid
Old 04-16-06, 07:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Kind of depends on the type of driving you do most of the time. If stop and go in a city then a stick can get old.
First of all, why buy that kind of car for stop & go traffic, you probably won't want an M6 nor a 997 turbo as a daily driver, but a weekend fun car to go to less congested areas. Traffic is usually less congested on the weekends in many areas anyway , well, maybe not on the way to a ball game in a stadium route.

Secondly, if you drive a stick in stop & go traffic all the time, you can get used to it to the point that you would barely be aware that you're shifting, it becomes almost instinctive, just ask those who live in congested cities in Europe & Asia, particularly those taxi & bus drivers, they drive manual taxi's & buses in bad traffic all the time. They tell me they can almost fall asleep & still knows how to shift LOL. If you don't want to get used to doing that kind of driving that's fine, use it as a weekend car.

My G35c is a manual & I use it as a daily driver, while it's not that bad here on a daily basis, but I do get caught in stop & go & I swear that I 'm not even aware of the constant shifting as I am usually listening to music or conversing with my passenger, it's not a nuisance to me if you can get your mind off it.
Old 04-16-06, 08:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bmw sets the bar for performance sedans. M5 all the way
Old 04-16-06, 08:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

A CL with an M5 engine.
Old 04-16-06, 08:59 AM
LuvLuxury
Driver

M5 = Drivers Car
CLS55/63 = ?

I have seen a few black M5's with 20's/Tint and it looked very clean and mean. Something about that button that gives you 500 HP is tantilizing!

CLS55 to be replaced by CLS63 in June? The numbers are almost exactly the same but a bigger engine with worse gas mileage because MB wants to cut corners and costs....not worth taking a huge depreciation hit on given that a CLS55 can be had for so much cheaper once the 63 drops in the states.

In terms of styling the CLS55 has my card hands down. A friend of mine (his father) just bought a white one and put rims/tint on the car...now it looks amazing! The lines are unbelievable and NO I don't really care about the back seat. I would probably be either keeping my 2003 LX or purchasing that 07 Escalade for cost so room won't be an issue, but this car will be my daily driver.

A really good friend of mine has a NSX (with a turbo kit), 66 GTO, Older M3. He INSISTS that I go BMW (SMG) M5. A couple of websites had concerns regarding the engine burning oil? I really don't like that. If it were a ferrari I probably wouldn't be so cautious but an everyday driver that burns oil? Ouch. I guess it just makes things a little hairy.

LL
Old 04-16-06, 09:42 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CLS. An M5 would somewhat easily get confused with a 5-series, which are all over the place. A CLS500 will turn heads, AMG or not, since there aren't very many on the road.

Quick Reply: CLS55 AMG vs BMW M5