Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scions, Elements, OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 02:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scions, Elements, OH MY!

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/index.html

Scion & Element imaging doesn't work
Clark has been watching out for Scion XBs on the road these days. He has one and has seen reports lately that all of the Scions are selling like hotcakes. In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, the XB, XA and TC are the hardest cars to buy these days. Toyota built the Scions and rebranded them –under another name – to attract younger drivers. Toyota presented the cars at youth-oriented events and used a whole different tactic to market them to youngsters. The rationale is to get young people hooked on Toyota products so they buy them all their lives. So, what happened? Older people still bought the Scions. The Honda Element is the same idea. It was designed for teens and people in their ‘20s. The average Element buyer is 43, and the car has a new nickname, “The Elderment.”

LOL, the Elderment, good stuff.
Old 02-06-06, 02:39 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's because older people don't want to pay a fortune for a spacious gas saving vehicle.
Old 02-06-06, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two

Scion & Element imaging doesn't work
Clark has been watching out for Scion XBs on the road these days. He has one and has seen reports lately that all of the Scions are selling like hotcakes. In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, the XB, XA and TC are the hardest cars to buy these days. Toyota built the Scions and rebranded them –under another name – to attract younger drivers. Toyota presented the cars at youth-oriented events and used a whole different tactic to market them to youngsters. The rationale is to get young people hooked on Toyota products so they buy them all their lives. So, what happened? Older people still bought the Scions. The Honda Element is the same idea. It was designed for teens and people in their ‘20s. The average Element buyer is 43, and the car has a new nickname, “The Elderment.”

LOL, the Elderment, good stuff.
except that scion has the lowest median buyer age in the auto industry...

i am glad he knows what he is talking about, lol.
Old 02-06-06, 03:35 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
except that scion has the lowest median buyer age in the auto industry...

i am glad he knows what he is talking about, lol.
parent co-sign would also have something to do with higher average wouldn't it?

Last edited by xioix; 02-07-06 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two

all of the Scions are selling like hotcakes. In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, the XB, XA and TC are the hardest cars to buy these days. .
If this is indeed the case ( and that is a long IF ) it's probably not going to last much longer. Just wait till the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are released....some of the first Solstices are starting to be sold now. Pontiac dealers are going to make a killing on this car from the supply-and-demand.....Saturn dealers less so, but mostly from Saturn's more restrictive dealer-pricing policies.

Scions, BTW, have Saturn's old policy of sticker-only pricing ( plus tax and tags ) and therefore prices not affected much by supply-and-demand unless the factory itself raises them.
Old 02-06-06, 04:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Scions, BTW, have Saturn's old policy of sticker-only pricing ( plus tax and tags ) and therefore prices not affected much by supply-and-demand unless the factory itself raises them.
That is what I was thinking. There is no negotiating on the price of the Scion itself. Only room for negotiation is on the added on parts and accessories. The tC is a car I'm thinking of buying to replace my daily driver SC400. My friend is a service technician at Scion of Hawaii and even he told me the employees can't get any discount on the car itself. They only get 25% off the OEM parts and I think 10 or 14% of TRD parts. At the dealership there doesn't seem to be and supply problem either. They are selling well, but I don't think they are getting anywhere near being low on supply.