Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Z4 Coupe In Depth

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 07:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts
Default BMW Z4 Coupe In Depth

Whenever I see Z4 pics, I always think of the need for a barf smiley here

More pics with long article HERE
Old 01-25-06, 07:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its strange - I love the look of this car - the car mags love the look of this car - but people on this board hate it. Why??????
Old 01-25-06, 07:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Its strange - I love the look of this car - the car mags love the look of this car - but people on this board hate it. Why??????
It's not ugly, but it ain't pretty either. This is what a cars like this should look like:

Old 01-25-06, 08:08 PM
Agni88
Driver

vids of the ///M version. http://www.smallbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153

Old 01-25-06, 08:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

the car just so damn ugly and it should be banned from the steet. its just my opinion. i never liked any Zs.
Old 01-25-06, 08:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I, for one, like (not love) the look of the Z4. It's distinctive and sporty, which separates it's styling from the 3-Series coupe and the 6-Series. The Z4 makes a different statement for BMW: "I'm not an average coupe, I'm a roadster." However, the coupe version breaks that idea...

I think BMW made a big mistake turning the Z4 into a coupe: if it only seats two, has less power, less room, and less amenities, and costs just as much as a 3-Series coupe, who the hell would buy it?!? Yes, the car handles well, but so does the 3-Series. In my opinion, they should have made a hardtop convertible...
Old 01-25-06, 08:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I don't know which magazines you' ve read, but I recall seeing at least a few articles from car magazines that have negative impressions of the looks of the Z4 . . .
Old 01-25-06, 08:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I don't know which magazines you' ve read, but I recall seeing at least a few articles from car magazines that have negative impressions of the looks of the Z4 . . .
C&D and Autoweek both loved it. Which did you see that didn't like it?
Old 01-25-06, 09:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I seldom buy car magazines anymore, mostly finishing them at newstands/bookstores, so I can't look it up for you, but since the Z4 was launched, there's definitely at least a few negative comments on the looks of the Z4 by the car magazines .
Even for C&D & Automobile, while I'm sure you can quote some positive comments, but there has been more than one or two articles on those mags involving the Z4, & I'm sure the opinions among the editors & testers are not nearly unanimous, some may love it, others do not. My point is that I still cannot agree with the general statement that the car magazines love it's looks.
Old 01-25-06, 09:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I seldom buy car magazines anymore, mostly finishing them at newstands/bookstores, so I can't look it up for you, but since the Z4 was launched, there's definitely at least a few negative comments on the looks of the Z4 by the car magazines .
Even for C&D & Automobile, while I'm sure you can quote some positive comments, but there has been more than one or two articles on those mags involving the Z4, & I'm sure the opinions among the editors & testers are not nearly unanimous, some may love it, others do not. My point is that I still cannot agree with the general statement that the car magazines love it's looks.
I subscribe to C&D, R&T, Autoweek, and Motor Trend - I honestly do not remember seeing any one of those magazines call the Z4 coupe anything but stunning. I'm talking coupe here, not roadster.

Honestly, when I saw the coupe, I was impressed - but there were so many negative comments about it on here that I thought it must be me (I actually like the 7 series if you can believe that!).

But then, I start seeing positive comments about it - everywhere except here.
Old 01-25-06, 09:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Well, if you're just talking about the coupe, since the car isn't out yet & there are not many articles on it yet compared to the roadster, I'm referring to the comments on the Z4 roadster since it's been out , & that's for a while already.
At least to my eyes, the Z4 coupe doesn't look like much of an improvement over the roadster from pictures. Of course I haven't seen one in person yet. But the Z4 roadster always look pretty appalling to me, the "flame surfaces", the proportions etc.
I (I actually like the 7 series if you can believe that!).
I never thought the 7 series is ugly, even before facelift, & it's even better after facelift , I like it more than the 5 & the Z4. There are some in this forum that like the 7.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-25-06 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 10:05 PM
LexFather

It looks like its been in a rollover accident, but it was drivable, so the dude just took it home after the accident.

Old 01-25-06, 10:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It looks like its been in a rollover accident, but it was drivable, so the dude just took it home after the accident.
Or like it's drawn by a kintergarden kid, putting parts of cars that doesn't belong together.

I won't drive a Z4 or even be caught sitting in one if BMW give it to me for free. I would trade it immediately for a Boxster S / Cayman S even if I have to pay some money on top.
Old 01-25-06, 10:13 PM
LexFather

Or like it's drawn by a kintergarden kid, putting parts of cars that doesn't belong together.

I won't drive a Z4 or even be caught sitting in one if BMW give it to me for free. I would trade it immediately for a Boxster S / Cayman S even if I have to pay some money on top.
ITs gotten its *** kicked by pretty much every car in teh segment again. Sports Car International ripped it a new one when it debuted.

Old 01-26-06, 05:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Yup.. ugly in my book, but... the M series Z4 will not be one to mess with, 340+ Hp and sub 5 second 0-60
So................that just means you look at an ugly rear end instead of an ugly nose.

Quick Reply: BMW Z4 Coupe In Depth