Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Almost got run over by a driver on cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 10:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Angry Almost got run over by a driver on cell phone

We'd just finished dinner and were walking across the street on posted 4-way signed street in a crosswalk. The traffic had stopped except one lane was open. I just put my foot across the center line when I see some headlights coming fast. The Mrs. is looking down holding our left-overs and doesn't see the approaching car. Luckily I was holding her hand so I yanked her back as she is now about 2 feet in front of me.

As the idiot passes, I can see him looking down while holding a cell phone to his ear. The **** didn't even hit the brakes. His mirror missed my elbow/side by inches. Luckily for us the street isn't 40 mph but 25 mph or the outcome might have been different. It was a good thing he didn't stop cause I'd have been inclined toward some not so nice acts of physical agression. (Trying to be PC here.)

That said, I'm going to write a letter to AAA, senator and rep about the banning of cell phone usage while driving. Having experienced it at this level, it is one I will pursue now.
Old 01-05-06, 11:09 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's amazing isnt it? compound that with the fact that the idiot is allowed to drive...was it a car? or truck?
Old 01-05-06, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
We'd just finished dinner and were walking across the street on posted 4-way signed street in a crosswalk. The traffic had stopped except one lane was open. I just put my foot across the center line when I see some headlights coming fast. The Mrs. is looking down holding our left-overs and doesn't see the approaching car. Luckily I was holding her hand so I yanked her back as she is now about 2 feet in front of me.

As the idiot passes, I can see him looking down while holding a cell phone to his ear. The **** didn't even hit the brakes. His mirror missed my elbow/side by inches. Luckily for us the street isn't 40 mph but 25 mph or the outcome might have been different. It was a good thing he didn't stop cause I'd have been inclined toward some not so nice acts of physical agression. (Trying to be PC here.)

That said, I'm going to write a letter to AAA, senator and rep about the banning of cell phone usage while driving. Having experienced it at this level, it is one I will pursue now.
yeah, people on cell phones, what can i say......
Old 01-05-06, 11:42 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would've thrown my leftovers in front of the car so he'll get a taste of it when he drives by.

I talk on my phone when driving too but I ONLY use my bluetooth headset with voice dialing. It is very dangerous to take your eyes off the road, even for just a second.

On a side note, I can text message an entire message, and send it out to the person I want, all without looking at the phone.
Old 01-06-06, 12:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I woulda kicked in a door panel or something soft on the car for him to get the point.
Old 01-06-06, 07:10 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

thats why i hate for ppl to call me why im on the road and thats why i dont answer my phone , its just too dangerous
Old 01-06-06, 09:54 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

quit jwalking
next time look both ways

sheesh...freaking pedestrians

(btw I'm joking)
glad you are safe.
Old 01-06-06, 10:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm for not using the phone , headset or not ,when you're driving. Studies have shown the distraction is the same.
It's always the safest to be alert of the others' possible mistakes whether as a pedestrian or a driver.
Old 01-06-06, 11:18 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I almost got in a pretty bad accident on the highway today because a guy driving a delivery van was on his cellphone and cut right into my lane while I was next to him... and kept going. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him... and he still didn't even know I was back there. I let him know I was by flying around him, cutting him off, and brake-checking him. I've never road-raged before but damn he was an idiot.
Old 01-06-06, 12:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This guy was driving a Dodge mini van. As pissed as I was, I'm glad he kept driving. The Mrs. said she'd have done an Eric Cartman on his azz. "I'm going to kick you in the n-utz!" (With some redundancy no doubt.)

After witnessing a cell phone incident some years back, I've turned my phone off while driving. If I have to make a call while in the car, I pull off the road and stop. I just don't understand why people think that driving and talking on the phone are concurrent activities?

Last edited by RA40; 01-06-06 at 12:41 PM.