Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Mallett Pontiac Solstice V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 01:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2006 Mallett Pontiac Solstice V8

If I had a Hammer: Mallett forges a beast out of the Pontiac Solstice
NATALIE NEFF
Published Date: 12/19/05
2006 Mallett Pontiac Solstice V8
On sale: Now
Base price: $37,995 (including $19,995 for the Solstice)
Powertrain: 6.0-liter, 400-hp, 395-lb-ft V8; rwd, five-speed manual
Curb weight: 3010 lbs
0 to 60 mph: 4.2 seconds (mfr.)

The readout on the dashboard might have indicated 32 degrees F, but the wind tearing at our faces felt colder. Much colder. So when the radio guy announced a wind chill factor of just 10 degrees, we had no reason to doubt him.

Not exactly what one might consider ideal convertible weather, but the Mallett Solstice V8 isn’t your everyday convertible, and a little arctic air wasn’t going to keep us from at least getting a taste of the shiny black two-seater. Besides, snug within the confines of its cabin and with the heat cranked full tilt, it felt nearly 32. Nearly.

The car’s last name tells the story, obviously, but only part of it. The V8 squeezed under the hood of this other-wise benign-looking Solstice is none other than the mighty LS2 sourced from the Chevrolet Corvette. And with almost 500 pounds less heft curbside than the bow-tied beast, the LS2’s 400 horses and 395 lb-ft of torque make for one monstrously fast little roadster.

But lest you think the Mallett Solstice V8 is only about speed, think again: Throw a few cones in front of it and the car really comes to life.

To achieve such superior agility, the car is ballasted such that a 200-pound person sitting behind the wheel gives it perfect 50:50 lateral weight distribution. And with a full tank of gas, the weight split fore and aft is near that, at 52:48.

Achieving such good balance involved shoving the engine rearward to within millimeters of the tolerances set by GM for crash-worthiness. In fact, the LS2 sits so far back within the engine bay that you would be correct in calling the car a mid-engine vehicle.

While the ice and snow prevented us from seriously exploring the limits of the car’s dexterity, we did get a sense of its power, which is more than enough to break the tires loose up to third gear. Indeed, putting the power down effectively and efficiently requires a judicious modulation of the throttle. Too much right pedal too quickly won’t holeshot anyone, but it may win a burnout contest.

Get it right and the car is quick. So quick, in fact, the Mallett Solstice V8 will beat a C6 Corvette through the quarter-mile—just don’t tell that to Chevy.

“Yeah, I’m still taking heat over that,” says Chuck Mallett, founder of Mallett Cars. “I’ve always worked with Chevy, and now I’m taking their premium engine and putting it in a Pontiac.”

Mallett, the man, forged his reputation out of cranking ungodly amounts of performance from a whole slate of bow-tie-badged vehicles, finding power, speed and agility where most engineers don’t bother even looking.

Drawing upon his family’s five-decade involvement in professional motorsports—including his own racing background—Mallett has developed cars for Chevrolet racing, for everything from Trans-Am to NASCAR to endurance racing. His best-known street car to date may be the twin-turbo Corvette ZR1 from 1996, which ran a top speed of 273 mph. Today the company spends much of its energy turning otherwise fast and mean cars into faster and meaner ones—not unlike a certain AutoWeek Lifetime Achievement Award winner.

Despite the grumblings at Chevy, the folks in the excitement division are tickled to get their hands on a Mallett car. Dealers have been scrambling to get allotments. “I’ve got dealers interested in scooping up the whole run,” says Mallett, which, with just 100 cars slated for build through next October, will ensure the scrambling remains fierce.

All that performance, however, doesn’t come cheaply. The standard package will set you back $18,000, but for that cash you not only get that meaty small-block, Mallett also augments the drivetrain using a Luk Gold clutch and short-throw shifter; throws on a set of Mallett-Penske non*adjustable shocks, high-performance brake pads and stainless-steel brake lines; and dresses the car with signature Mallett graphics, embroidered headrests and a serial number plaque.
Old 12-19-05, 01:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you kidding me? Mallet is putting an LS2 in a Solctice? I recall the Mallet c5 Corvette. What a beast
Old 12-19-05, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This comes as no surprise at all. Bob Lutz, GM's Chief, said publically several months ago that he expected this.....aftermarket companies would try and stuff in bigger engines. He said, though, that GM would not do anything like this in-house because the company feels that the basic chassis was designed for a medium-power four and handles and drives best with it. Most of the tests of the basic Solstice....and of the inevitable comparisons between it and the new Miata....seem to bear that out. No auto magazine yet has really complained about a lack of power...but there always seems to be a market for it.
Old 12-19-05, 05:35 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just read a longer version of that article in this week's double issue of AutoWeek. The best part is the price of <$40K! Granted you can option it up way beyond that price with bigger, better wheels and brakes, etc. The worst part is that they only intend to make 1,000 cars.

The Mallett Solstice or a S2000? The Mallett or a Z4? No contest. If I wasn't so lame, I'd sell my GS and get one! Seriously. Why not?!

I've seen the Solstice in person three times now. The first two it didn't impress me, but they were just parked. The last time was this weekend (before I read the article and became biased) and it was on the go. Very voloptuous. Wheels looked huge, but were standard issue I'm sure. Just plain old good looking proportions. I can't explain why I didn't like it at first, but this time it was a homerun. Too bad it's a Pontiac.

I need this car!
Old 12-19-05, 07:17 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyones thinking about buying one of these beasts, I can detail it once its done and keep it for you for a few days, no extreme driving I promise Mallett is like 5 minutes from my house. I live close enough to see one of the Mallet's hott girlfriends racing around town in the new Mallet Corvette all the time, lol.
Old 12-20-05, 05:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JJG2005
If anyones thinking about buying one of these beasts, I can detail it once its done and keep it for you for a few days, no extreme driving I promise Mallett is like 5 minutes from my house. I live close enough to see one of the Mallet's hott girlfriends racing around town in the new Mallet Corvette all the time, lol.
I would love them to do my GTO when I get it. If they can come up with a package that is less than the $25,000 Lingenfelter package I will drive there in a hot minute.
Old 12-20-05, 08:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

More pics & article HERE
Old 12-20-05, 03:00 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Old 12-20-05, 05:08 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Hmm I believe they would let you pick and chose what you would like done for a price... the packages they put together are just what the majority of the people want. I highly doubt they would turn down your business if you're looking to spend a decent amount on your GTO.

If you do end up getting work done, get it done in spring and make sure you can stay for the weekend with the new beast. We have a huge racing scene here that would love to check out a Mallett GTO lol
Old 12-20-05, 05:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Funny thing about this car is that I saw like 5 of them within 5 miles of each other. Cool thing was, that they all had new car tags on them. That’s good because it seems like a hot selling pocket rocket that will help GM immensely!
Old 12-21-05, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JJG2005
your GTO.

We have a huge racing scene here that would love to check out a Mallett GTO lol
Since you are from OH, you are referring, I assume, to the Mid-Ohio track?
They also used to use Cleveland's Burke Lakefront airport runway for races....don't know if they still do.
Old 12-21-05, 06:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Wow Mid Ohio they let non professionals use that! Ohhh I would love to rip it on that track
Old 12-21-05, 07:56 AM
Dixond
Pole Position

They are also doing this v8 swap to the sister Saturn Sky. Along with many other members here, I prefer the looks of the Sky to the Solstice (which is still a decent looking car!).
I can't wait to see a black Sky with the LS2.... now THAT will be irresistable.
Old 12-21-05, 09:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by Dixond
They are also doing this v8 swap to the sister Saturn Sky. Along with many other members here, I prefer the looks of the Sky to the Solstice (which is still a decent looking car!).
I can't wait to see a black Sky with the LS2.... now THAT will be irresistable.
that would be sick. It would be the American version of the BMW Z8.