Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 09:26 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited - Thoughts?

Here is another great vehicle at a fairly reasonable price. I believe the 4runner is the best looking mid-size SUV out there at this time.

The Limited V8 loaded all the options can top out at $44K.

The Sports Edition V8 nicely equipped could be up to $10K less??!!

They both use the same engine, they both have the XREAS sportier suspension (std on the Sport and Option on the Limited). The Sports Edition doesn't have the leather or NAV option.

Is the Leather option in the Limited really worth that much extra (I know there are other bells and whistles on the Limited, but is it worth up to $10K more? Damn that leather better be off an ARMANI cow!

The Sport Edition has that funky hood scoop, so either you like it or don't or can get used to it. The Sport Edition IMO has the better looking rims (6 spoke with raised white lettering).

Damn! The NAV is what I really need, so it'll make me stick with a fully loaded Limited since the NAV is only available on the Limited. People tell me to get an aftermarket NAV system, but the factory touch screen NAV with the latest software is such a nice integration into this vehicle.

So you can get a nicely equipped Sports Edition V8 in the mid $35K range with the same engine that is used in the Limited as well as the new 2005 Lexus GX470 and it's a great substitute if you want something sporty in a mid-size SUV.

The Limited just seems like it's just too overpriced at times.

Comments / Thoughts on the 2005 4unner V8?
Old 11-29-04, 09:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Ive ridden in my neighbors 4Runner, and its great. The V8 is awsome. Very comfortable for a truck which I was shocked by. Roomie and feels very well built. However my neighbors also isnt 44K, which to my surprise can actually get that high. Thats insane. With such a high price I would just get a RX330 or better yet a GX470. Get it the GX with a Navi and ML and call it the day. Hopefully the local stealership will work out a deal. And if 44K is what you wnat to spend then go for that price. With the Toyota you will have to think about the step down in service and the hassle at the Toytoa dealership. (I for one dont like Toyota dealerships, they treat ppl like crap)
Old 11-29-04, 09:45 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Mageneto,

I too was pleased with the 4 Runner Limited Ride with XREAS Suspension. It had plenty of power (2004) and was nice and smooth in acceleration and crusing as well as handling wise. I used to have a 99 4Runner Limited which was a great truck, but had such a small gas tank and gazzled a lot of gas, that it felt like I was filling up all the time. Also the ride in the 99s were spongy and wobbly. This new generation is quite an improvement.
Old 11-30-04, 06:32 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Before picking up my '04 RX, I did look at the 4Runner Limited. Not serious about off-roading, the RX was a better choice: smoother, quieter, more fuel efficient and way more comfort features. I didn't want halogen headlights, and I still can't stand the Chevy Avalanche-style fender wells
Old 12-01-04, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

For what a 4-Runner Limited costs, pay a little more and get the Lexus GX470. It has a better warranty and an even plusher interior. You will likely get more of a discount on the GX, too.
If you want to nickel-and-dime, you can do it AFTER the sale.....Toyota service shops can give you the same basic maintenence as Lexus shops do.....for about half the price....and they use many of the same parts and filters. You WILL have to use a Lexus shop, though, for warranty repairs....Toyota shops still cannot do those.
Old 12-02-04, 02:11 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I still prefer the GX470 over the Toyota 4Runner and so does my wife, so we all know who is the boss and I'll get my wife the 2005 GX470, however this Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited could be my future car when my lease is up in 2005, since it's somewhat low key and doesn't have the bling factor like the GX470 does, so I can use it more for business. Either way the 4Runner is the best NON-LEXUS mid size SUV option at this time and the upgraded V8 Engine for 2005 makes it even more attractive. My local Toyota dealer can't even quote me pricing yet on the 2005 V8 since it's not formally available yet. Expect January delivery for you prospective owners out there.
Old 12-02-04, 02:14 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by msilverIS
Before picking up my '04 RX, I did look at the 4Runner Limited. Not serious about off-roading, the RX was a better choice: smoother, quieter, more fuel efficient and way more comfort features. I didn't want halogen headlights, and I still can't stand the Chevy Avalanche-style fender wells
I too have to admit that my wife's RX330 is a smooth riding vehicle and overall more practical, but there is something about that V8 Power in a 4runner and the handling with the Xreas that makes you want one. I first saw the new 4runner 2 years ago in Hawaii while on vacation, with these great aftermarket rims and that is when I realized how this new / current generation was a great change by Toyota.
Old 12-02-04, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj
Either way the 4Runner is the best NON-LEXUS mid size SUV option at this time and the upgraded V8 Engine for 2005 makes it even more attractive.
Yes and no. If you want to tow or go off-road, fine. The 4-Runner's truck-based body-on frame design is well-designed for that. But if all you want is foul-weather capability and a tall seating height, check out the Toyoya Highlander / Lexus RX330. Both are Camry-based and will give you a smoother ride, better handling, and better gas mileage than a 4-Runner....at the expense of towing and roughing it.
Old 12-05-04, 09:07 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. If you want to tow or go off-road, fine. The 4-Runner's truck-based body-on frame design is well-designed for that. But if all you want is foul-weather capability and a tall seating height, check out the Toyoya Highlander / Lexus RX330. Both are Camry-based and will give you a smoother ride, better handling, and better gas mileage than a 4-Runner....at the expense of towing and roughing it.
I would have to agree with you mmmarshall on your opinion above, however I have the RX330 and it's a most practical vehicle and drives like a car, but the handling and power from a guy's perspective is not my ideal car. The 4runner with the upgraded V8 for 2005 along with XREAS, makes this a smooth driving truck with plenty of power. What was more surprising to me was the smooth ride of the 4runner (although still not as smooth as an RX).
Old 12-05-04, 09:08 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

What sucks is that the 2005 4Runner V8 pricing is still not available from the dealers. They can only take your deposit at this time to reserve a spot for you in the waiting line for the 2005s. I suppose the pricing will be released soon, since the 2005 GX470's pricing recently came out.