Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 03:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technologies WILL be perfected. Just give it time, all you technophobes.
Old 07-05-06, 04:53 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i told my gf about this last night
and she came up with a very interesting question

how will the cars detect whether the traffic light is green, amber, or red

i mean there are so many lights all over the places, how would they distinguish which one is the traffic light and more specifically, which ones are for cars in my lane?
Old 07-05-06, 05:10 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i told my gf about this last night
and she came up with a very interesting question

how will the cars detect whether the traffic light is green, amber, or red

i mean there are so many lights all over the places, how would they distinguish which one is the traffic light and more specifically, which ones are for cars in my lane?
Unfortunately, unless we have electronic traffic lights that transmit signals wirelessly to robot-driven vehicles, or unless real-time traffic service providers start offering real-time traffic light statuses, this won't happen. So at this moment the best application for this technology should still be limited to highways, which for the most part should already satisfy most commuters and travelers.
Old 07-05-06, 05:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of the safety of a system like this will depend, of course, on how sophisticated the robot's " eyes " are. For instance, if you have tried to stay in your lane on a wet road at night with faded lane markings you'll know what I mean.......it can be quite difficult. Infiniti already has a lane-warning drift device on some of its cars but it still depends on a camera and the camera has to be able to actually SEE the lane markings. Then, of course, you run into the problem of snow-covered roads with no markings at all.
With a sat-nav system that can track the exact position of the vehicle with pin-point precision to within an inch, according to the article, robots won't need sensors at all to detect lane markings to stay in lanes, but will simply follow the highly detailed map data they have instead. In fact, some high-end navigation systems today already offer lane information and will tell you when to change to which lane for the next turn or exit.
Old 10-30-06, 11:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Amazing video

Forget the self-parking LS460. THIS is teh real *****!! A robot car that drives as fast as a professional driver! I just *have to* bow to the German engineering after watching this video.
NEW VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB9suyHrXxA

In real-world applications it won't even have to learn the course first since it'll be simply driving the normal roads already mapped in a GPS navigation system, while adjusting for traffic with some kind of adaptive cruise control.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-30-06 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 02:42 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Forget the self-parking LS460. THIS is teh real *****!! A robot car that drives as fast as a professional driver! I just *have to* bow to the German engineering after watching this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB9suyHrXxA

In real-world applications it won't even have to learn the course first since it'll be simply driving the normal roads already mapped in a GPS navigation system, while adjust for traffic with some adaptive cruise control.

Speaking of German engineering.
They do make some of the best business application software in the world as well. SAP anyone, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_AG

Germany is now the world's largest exporter of goods with $1.016 trillion exported in 2005 (Germany's exports to other euro zone countries are included in this total). In export of services (tourism, financial services, engineering...) it ranks third behind the United States and the United Kingdom. Altogether it's the second largest exporter behind the United States.

Although most of its exports are in advanced technology (cars, machinery, chemical goods, optics ...), Germany also has a strong position in the export of high tech products. According to the WTO 15 per cent of German exports are high tech products. While this percentage is relatively low compared to other countries, given the huge amount of total exports, Germany sells nearly twice as many high tech products per capita than the United States, significantly more than Japan and nearly the same as the United Kingdom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany
I always thought it was Japan that sold the most high-tech goods....guess I was wrong.
Old 10-30-06, 04:26 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Wow, quite amazing. I like the engineering, but I don't know if I trust VW's electricals with my life just yet.

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Very, very impressive!! This is so much more advanced than even the Toyota's combination of Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Assist, and VDIM! Driving like a pro (better than most pros actually) at speeds up to 150mph (which practically means ANY speed), wow!! Ze German engineering is truly a force to be reckoned with.
More advanced indeed. Except keep in mind Toyota engineered those technologies for the real world and have been in use for up to five years, whereas VW has designed something for a test track. Not nearly as risky.

Originally Posted by mavericck
I always thought it was Japan that sold the most high-tech goods....guess I was wrong.
That would be a bit more believable if you owned 3 Japanese cars and 1 German and not the other way around, hehe.
Old 10-30-06, 05:14 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lubs
Wow, quite amazing. I like the engineering, but I don't know if I trust VW's electricals with my life just yet.

More advanced indeed. Except keep in mind Toyota engineered those technologies for the real world and have been in use for up to five years, whereas VW has designed something for a test track. Not nearly as risky.

That would be a bit more believable if you owned 3 Japanese cars and 1 German and not the other way around, hehe.

Oh I always knew both countries were and are the engineering and technological centers of their respective regions. I just always thought the Japanese produced more and sold more of their products around the world (considering companies like Sony and Yamaha) than the Germans. But when I did a little research it turns out I was wrong and a lot of the companies I just assumed were American, were in fact German (Stihl comes to mind). BTW I have owned 2 previous generation GS's, a second generation RX-7, and a Camry (hated that car), and a Toyota Sienna(family needs). So despite my current stable of cars, I've had my fair share of Japanese cars (mostly Toyota). Just take into consideration that most of the electronics I own are from Japan. So, yeah I did in fact think that Japan exported more tech oriented products than Germany and it is believable, despite my current stable of cars.

Last edited by mavericck; 10-30-06 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 11:14 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mavericck
So, yeah I did in fact think that Japan exported more tech oriented products than Germany and it is believable, despite my current stable of cars.
I was just breaking *****, the facts are the facts.

Most of us can probably agree the future holds vehicles that drive themselves. Assuming there's a transition period between now and then makes me wonder how the automated cars will interact with each other and with cars with human drivers. I imagine a transportation network that makes lane changes and traffic light changes most efficient. I wonder if there could or would be a hierarchy with respect to this. Sort of like a toll that gets you places with a higher priority than others. And with respect to human drivers, how would the automated car behave if it detected a car about to rear end, t-bone or make a lane change into it.
Old 12-05-07, 12:56 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Default Self Driving BMW

Top Gear Test of the Self Driving BMW 3 series.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DXhlQ2xzz0g

haha "imagine if the British had built this..."

Last edited by mavericck; 12-05-07 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 08:44 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Oh common, how could nobody here find this slightly cool or interesting?
Old 12-05-07, 10:06 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Cuz its a Lexus board
Old 12-05-07, 10:46 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

5th Gear had shown a self driving GTI a year ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88UlyjM4Pc
Old 12-05-07, 11:55 AM
JessePS

Poor Clarkson lol a British dude stuck in a self driving Deutsch car
Old 12-05-07, 01:59 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Wow! Mad props! That is cool! But how accurate can it be based on GPS? Isn't the radius 100 feet of accuracy? Could that be enough?

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles