Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 03:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am sooooooo looking forward to 100% autonomous car if they can make it happen.

I love driving when I am driving a fun sports car by the coast on the weekend, I am sooo tired of commuting to work.
Old 11-21-11, 03:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I fear all these auto-drive/park systems that manufacturers are adding to vehicles now are going to do the same thing to driving that texting and Facebook have done to communication. It will make some things easier at the cost of losing an important skill. We already have enough people on the road who can't drive.....pandering to that group is going to make it worse...
Good point.

But if they can make cars 100% autonomous, all those morons who can't drive, don't have to drive at all Will be a GREAT thing. A LOT less traffic accidents, cheaper car insurances.........etc.
Old 11-21-11, 03:08 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ohhhh ... first self parking, now self driving!

I wish I could go to the tokyo auto show!
Old 11-21-11, 03:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
ohhhh ... first self parking, now self driving!
It would be so awesome, cars will become like the horses, we will only drive for fun, not because we have to get to somewhere
Old 01-12-12, 09:40 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Sounds like Google's Prius to me.

I heard Google is gonna put its real-world-proven and accident-free (at least when the computer is in control) self-driving system into production too, but isn't specific on whether it'll just provide the software for aftermarket modifications, partner with established car manufacturers to build self-driving versions of existing cars, or build all-new cars on its own.

As much as I love to drive myself, I can think of a lot of things I would much rather do when I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic, particularly when I have a passenger.
Damn Audi and Mercedes are putting this technology into their production cars soon (albeit only up to 37mph). Hurry up Toyota, you gotta be the first with this one! (Who cares if it isn't perfect like your self-parking thing--people will remember that you're the first, hence the innovator!)
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/12/n...-traffic-jams/

Next Audi flagship will drive autonomously in traffic jams

Audi had plenty to announce at CES, including the debut of its new Audi Connect system and Touchpad-integrated MMI ****, modular entertainment platform, NVIDIA Tegra 3 chipset and its planned expansion of both infotainment and active safety systems.

On the safety front, Audi execs announced plans to introduce a new system dubbed Traffic Jam Assistant, which recognizes when a driver is stuck in start-and-stop traffic and can be switched into an autonomous mode that takes complete control of the steering, acceleration and brakes.

The system uses the front-mounted adaptive cruise control sensors combined with wide-angle video cameras to detect lane markings, other vehicles, barriers and pedestrians, and can control the vehicle without any driver intervention up to 37 mph. Eight ultrasonic sensors also keep tabs on what's in front of and at the sides of the vehicle, with the front sensors not only tracking the vehicle ahead, but – like Nissan's latest Predictive Forward Collision Warning System – several vehicles ahead.

If this all sounds familiar, it should. And so should the name. Mercedes-Benz has been working on a similar system called Traffic Jam Assist, which we sampled in an S-Class last year.

Like Mercedes' system, Audi's implementation should make it to market sometime next year, likely in its refreshed range-topping A8.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-12-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 06:20 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nevada Approves Self-Driving Cars After Google Lobbying Push

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25017...ying_push.html

Nevada is officially the first state to approve self-driving cars. On Thursday, Nevada approved rules for testing driverless cars on state roads.

"Nevada is the first state to embrace what is surely the future of automobiles," Bruce Breslow, director of the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles said in a statement. "These regulations establish requirements companies must meet to test their vehicles on Nevada's public roadways as well as requirements for residents to legally operate them in the future."

According to reports Google worked closely with the Nevada state Legislature to pass the law making the testing of robotic cars legal. But the state went further, according to an National Public Radio report, and the states' Department of Motor Vehicles created a first of its kind driver's license for robot cars.

Self-driving cars aren't ready for consumers--they're still a few years out--but they are ready to be tested on public highways. According to the Associated Press, companies that want to test self-driving cars will need a bond of $1 million to $3 million, depending on how many cars they want to test. Cars must have two people inside them at all times, one of whom must be able to take control if necessary.

"They have to take us out and prove that they can do it," Breslow told the AP. "They're not ready to go to market yet."

Cars also have to be equipped with data collectors (like an airplane black box), and will have red license plates. If the cars are approved for public the cars will have green license plates (regular Nevada license plates are grayish-blue). If cars are approved, a person can operate the vehicle "without being physically present," according to one provision. But the person operating the vehicle--present or not--will be held responsible for what the car does.

According to Breslow, operators of driverless cars will be allowed to text and drive--but not drink and drive. "There is no exemption for drinking and driving," he told the AP.

Driverless Cars: Where We Are Today

As I mentioned earlier, we're still a few years away from driverless cars. But Google is working hard on its driverless prototype--and claims that its self-driving cars have driven over 140,000 miles. According to Google, seven of its cars have driven 1,000 miles without any human intervention.

There has only been one reported accident involving a Google self-driving car--a fender-bender involving another Prius. According to Google, this accident was actually the fault of a person, and the car was in manual drive mode at the time.

Google isn't the only company developing driverless cars. Other car companies, including BMW, Volkswagon, and Audi are all in the process of developing self-driving prototypes.

Other states, including Florida and Hawaii, are also looking into legislation for approving the testing of driverless vehicles.
Old 02-17-12, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, I don't relish the idea of driverless cars (I'm an auto-enthusiast and I enjoy driving, though sensibly). But, I'm afraid, the public in general, has bought these self-propelled Nanny-cars on itself by refusing to stop yakking on cell-phones, texting, and playing with complex electronic displays while trying to drive. The automakers themselves haven't helped, either, by continuing to put ever-more-complex electronic screens/displays into new vehicles. Every day, by my own estimation, just from what see from my own routine daily-driving, probably one out of five drivers (as a rough guess) at any given moment, are either yakking on a phone or fiddling around with something else in the car while the car is moving. Perhaps it is even more....I'm not sure, I can't just stare at everybody else, of course.......I have to pay attention to my own driving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 08:35 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mmarshall, I agree with everything you said. But 1 out of 5? I'm thinking 3 out of 5!
Old 02-18-12, 05:51 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmarshall, while I agree with the spirit of your post, I have to say that you're wrong on WHY this technology came about.

It wasn't done as a consequence for people yakking on their cell phones, it was done so they could SAFELY. I know a ton of executive-types and high level managers that really could benefit from this technology. Many people do their work when they are driving because they are driving between conferences or driving to a customer meeting site or test zone and literally have no other time to do that work.

This technology that google has pioneered is absolutely amazing. I know there's a lot of non-technical types here on this forum, but the vast amount of different fields of study and research that had to come together to make this happen is just awesome. I can't wait to see how much better they are at increasing gas mileage numbers versus a human driver. It will also be interesting to see if this supresses the horsepower wars currently raging.
Old 04-30-12, 05:40 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Poll

During its 2012 U.S. Automotive Emerging Technologies Study, J.D. Power and Associates found that vehicle owners have come to expect a certain level of safety features and are now turning their attention more to infotainment technologies in their vehicle.

The study showed that customers now look for features such as enhanced collision mitigation, wireless connectivity system, surround-view rear-vision camera and personal assistance safety services.

The study also found that 20% of vehicle owners ‘definitely would’ or ‘probably would’ purchase autonomous driving mode in their next vehicle after learning the estimated market price of $3,000. Prior to learning the price, interest for this technology was at 37%.

For those of you unfamiliar with autonomous driving – it basically means that the vehicle takes control of acceleration, braking and steering, without any human interaction

“Consumers are still learning about how autonomous driving technology could be used in their vehicles,”
said VanNieuwkuyk. “Many owners are skeptical about releasing control of their vehicle and would like to see the technology proved out before they adopt it.”

I for one am completely against autonomous driving and that’s only because I love driving so much. What are your thoughts? Have your say in the poll below.
Old 05-08-12, 01:07 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Google's Self-Driving Car Licensed

Link -- http://www.pcworld.com/article/25520...a_streets.html

Google's Self-Driving Car Licensed to Hit Nevada Streets

By Ian Paul, PCWorld May 8, 2012 6:16 AM

[Click to enlarge] Google’s Self-Driving Car Licensed to Hit Nevada StreetsGoogle's autonomous vehicle cruises the Las Vegas Strip. (Image courtesy of the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles)Google's self-driving car is growing up right in front of our eyes: The fledgling autonomous vehicle program recently passed its driver's license test in Nevada, the first license of its kind in the United States. Obtaining Nevada's self-driving car license clears the way for Google to test its technology on public roads in the state.

Google's modified Toyota Prius was given the thumbs up after successful test drives in Carson City and on the Las Vegas strip. Alongside the special license, Nevada also issued the car a unique set of red license plates that include the infinity symbol and the words “autonomous car.” With any luck, those plates should differentiate all the other vehicles on the road from Google’s car, which has cameras and radar equipment strapped to the roof.

Nevada first began work on its autonomous vehicle licensing program last June when the state's lawmakers passed legislation to allow self-driving cars on public roads. In February, Nevada's Department of Motor Vehicles issued rules governing autonomous cars. The Nevada DMV rules currently limit the state's licensing to test vehicles; enthusiasts need not apply.

[Click to enlarge] Google’s Self-Driving Car Licensed to Hit Nevada StreetsImage courtesy of the Nevada Department of Motor VehiclesTo be approved for road travel, autonomous cars must have a combined minimum driving time of 10,000 miles. Nevada also requires autonomous car operators to submit a complete description of their self-driving technology, a detailed safety plan, and a plan for hiring and training test drivers. The state requires a $100 licensing fee plus $13 for each set of license plates, but companies must also purchase a surety bond of $1 million to put up to 5 vehicles on the road. Nevada says a number of other unnamed companies are looking to follow Google and test self-driving cars on the state's public roads.

Despite allowing only beta cars at the moment, Nevada is looking toward a day when self-driving cars will be sold to the public. The state's DMV says it plans to issue privately owned self-driving cars a green license plate that will also include the infinity symbol. Motorists will also be required to obtain a special driver license endorsement before they can get behind the wheel of future robotic cars.

Connect with Ian Paul (@ianpaul) on Twitter and Google+, and with Today@PCWorld on Twitter for the latest tech news and analysis.
Old 05-08-12, 02:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

cool. look forward to seeing cars with those special colored license plates
Old 05-08-12, 02:08 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

catching on faster than I thought. I wonder though how they manuever through tunnels, since that blocks the Satellite signal? I'm guessing the map is constantly updated to the hardrive kind of like a temp lifeline.
Old 08-07-12, 05:13 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google: Self-driving Lexus

We always had a deep interest in Google’s self-driving car project. It develops technology to make driverless cars, and Google engineer Sebastian Thrun leads the charge. The Google team has operated the driverless cars daily on the roadway with as many as 12 cars going at any time. In an announcement made today, Google said its self-driving cars logged a whopping 300,000 miles accident free (but there was one time when it was the drivers fault). The company added that while a ton of progress has been made, the self-driving project still has a long way to go. For example, the cars still need to master snowy conditions.

Google also revealed that it added the Lexus RX450h to its fleet of self-driving vehicles to “fine our systems in different environments and on different terrain.” How stylish.

The self-driving project has come a long way over the past year. In June 2011, Nevada passed a law concerning self-driving cars on the roadway and granted the first license for a driverless car in May 2012. With over 300,000 miles logged, next comes self-driving cars used for the daily commute.

“As a next step, members of the self-driving car team will soon start using the cars solo (rather than in pairs), for things like commuting to work,” said Google in a blog post. “This is an important milestone, as it brings this technology one step closer to every commuter.” [Google]
Read more at http://9to5google.com/2012/08/07/goo...DWc12YugYBv.99
Old 08-07-12, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's really neat. Good looking test car too

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles