Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus asleep??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 07:04 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lexus asleep??

I just read (Businessweek) that their sedans are losing ground to the likes of BMW,
* They don't offer AWD cars (M-B offers them in the C, E & S-class, BMW in the 3-series, Infinti in the G35, Audi...)
* No small coupe or convertible.
* Very limited engines, in all the models.
* Young people have nothing to aspire in their line (aside for the IS).

As a 29YO, and someone who like the Lexus brand, I find myself asking "is Lexus going to be my next car?"
Old 11-20-03, 07:58 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus

Lexus has not so recently said they will not go head to head with their competitors in all areas, they will not be everything to everyone. As to the AWD models they are on the way I'm sure, but as for the "sport" type offerings that BMW ("M") and Chrysler oops I mean Mercedes ("AMG") goes they will not have much in the way of offerings in that arena.
Old 11-20-03, 08:41 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Is Lexus asleep??

Originally posted by IsraelRX
I just read (Businessweek) that their sedans are losing ground to the likes of BMW,
* They don't offer AWD cars (M-B offers them in the C, E & S-class, BMW in the 3-series, Infinti in the G35, Audi...)
* No small coupe or convertible.
* Very limited engines, in all the models.
* Young people have nothing to aspire in their line (aside for the IS).

As a 29YO, and someone who like the Lexus brand, I find myself asking "is Lexus going to be my next car?"
As Lexus always seem to do, they are draging, but draging for a reason.

Lexus is always the final one to come up with the new feature. Why? So they can then meet and exceed what anyone else has. They would rather see what everyone else has and then match and exceed it then be first and left behind shortly after. Have faith my friend.

-Anthony
Old 11-20-03, 08:51 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Is Lexus asleep??

Originally posted by Captain Bone
As Lexus always seem to do, they are draging, but draging for a reason.

Lexus is always the final one to come up with the new feature. Why? So they can then meet and exceed what anyone else has. They would rather see what everyone else has and then match and exceed it then be first and left behind shortly after. Have faith my friend.

-Anthony
well said and i agree!

~ Stella
Old 11-20-03, 09:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

In order to take advantage of the market, I think Lexus has chosen to focus more on SUVs for the past few years with the new RX and GX that came out, so their car line was a little behind. But now i think their focus is back on cars with the updated LS, and new models of the GS and IS coming.

Lexus will be offering hybrid engines for most of the models in their lineup, starting with the RX next year. I believe this new option will help them greatly. The new GS will probably have AWD and sports package as options (im hoping), so Lexus is def not asleep.

Plus Lexus is still the #1 luxury brand in sales, so they are doing something right.
Old 11-22-03, 05:26 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I can best sum this up as follows as a 30 year old male:

If I am to buy another Lexus in the future, it will be for my wife (she loves her RX330 now).

My parents are very impressed with Lexus.

If I am to buy a car for myself, it will be a BMW

Although I love Lexus, I find that women love Lexus even more, due to the luxury, nice ride, etc.....

As a guy, I want something sportier with more power and Lexus falls very short in offerring that to our age range (or let along anyone that wants a sporty car). BMW and other manufacturers are offerring Performance Packages in it's 330i, sports packages in all it's models, you can't help but drool, since their cars are so much fun to drive.
Old 11-22-03, 07:35 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

As a 32 year-old male I sum things up a bit differently.

My next car will likely be a Lexus. My wife's next car will likely be a Lexus. We've been down the BMW road and yes, while the car was fun to drive, the overall ownership experience sucked.

The GS430 and SC430 (especially) are plenty of fun to drive. Lexus meets my "sporty and fun to drive" coefficient. I realize for others that's not the case, but I don't in any way think that Lexus is asleep. Instead, I think they are brilliant to basically eat away at the entire core of BMW's and Mercedes' product line and customer base, leaving them with the margins (BMW for performance junkies, Benz for luxury snobs). Once that is complete, and we're almost there already, Lexus can decide whether or not they want to branch out and dominate those fringe markets as well.
Old 11-22-03, 03:54 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Iceman
As a 32 year-old male I sum things up a bit differently.

My next car will likely be a Lexus. My wife's next car will likely be a Lexus. We've been down the BMW road and yes, while the car was fun to drive, the overall ownership experience sucked.

The GS430 and SC430 (especially) are plenty of fun to drive. Lexus meets my "sporty and fun to drive" coefficient. I realize for others that's not the case, but I don't in any way think that Lexus is asleep. Instead, I think they are brilliant to basically eat away at the entire core of BMW's and Mercedes' product line and customer base, leaving them with the margins (BMW for performance junkies, Benz for luxury snobs). Once that is complete, and we're almost there already, Lexus can decide whether or not they want to branch out and dominate those fringe markets as well.
Iceman,well said. I can't say it better than that.!
Toyota/Lexus is very conservative company and they're trying to be reconize as a luxury car company. Some of Lexus technologies are one of the kind or wake up call, such as DVD base nav system, cooled and heated seat with Peltier unit, and now bluetooth technology phone for the tech junkies. I can go on and on about Lexus's stuffs, but I know Lexus will not go after horsepower war with the M and the AMG. Why?, Lexus will go with a fast Hybrid cars and environment's friendly. Something MB and BMW don't have much of experience in this field.
Lexus did the wake up call in 1989 with the introduced of the 1st gen LS, then the SC400(with 4 headlamps), the 1st gen GS and the high performance fastest 4 doors sport sedan with automatic transmission in the world,,,the GS400. After that the MB and BMW are catching up with Lexus on performace and HP, then guess what's Lexus do....nothing. They just wait for the MB and BMW to come up with the E430 or the E55 or the faster 540i and then they will introduce something totally difference, wicked and something for MB and BMW to think about.