Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 10:37 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey there and Merry New Year! I love that new thread smell.

I did have my ‘94 GS300 moving along at 122 mph on I-15 North from Barstow toward Vegas. I jumped in a line of 5 German cars and they were clearly also going to SEMA. I would not be able to keep up if they leaned into it any more. Folks in the 1GS forum said the 1GS is speed governed at 144 mph. I suspect it’s quite a bit lower than that because of physics. I didn’t stay at 122 mph for long because American drivers are very unskilled in general and if they make a mistake and I’m doing 122 mph, there’s not much time to respond. That really would mean I was the one making the real mistake.
Old 01-02-24, 10:50 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sure but I'm not sure why that surprises you at all, it's has double the TQ at half the RPM and double (almost) the transmission speeds and is far lower to the ground. The LS is fighting hard to do that speed relatively speaking, I can hit 105 without hitting 3000 rpm and using about 1/3 throttle if I want to.

Do remember that my car is a 200mph class vehicle unlike anything Lexus ever made outside the LFA.

For sure it's flat here lol! Easy to find areas to go quickly and if I take the A8s to work I hit 100+ 3-5 times just on that trip
then maybe i'm just being thrown off by the official number being 21 mpg hwy... the E55 also "gets" 21 mpg hwy but that's like only below 60 mph lol, and with the clutched supercharger pulley that diverts air past the supercharger when it's not boosting

also the reason it's double the torque at half the rpm is because there's 4 extra cylinders to burn fuel! yes it can achieve those output levels at low rpms but the fuel still needs to be burned to make the torque
Old 01-02-24, 11:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

also the reason it's double the torque at half the rpm is because there's 4 extra cylinders to burn fuel! yes it can achieve those output levels at low rpms but the fuel still needs to be burned to make the torque
True, but if it is geared for it, might still be inside an efficient zone for the work required.

My 4 cylinder ranger got only 10 miles a gallon on the highway when making it work hard pulling a trailer.

I could hear the engine grunting and the gear ratio was wrong for the work I was demanding at the speed I was going.

My full size truck got 12+ pulling same trailer at same speed. Lol
Old 01-02-24, 11:20 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
Hey there and Merry New Year! I love that new thread smell.
Ahhh, yes sir, that new thread smell.
Here's to 2024.
Old 01-02-24, 11:32 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Margate330
True, but if it is geared for it, might still be inside an efficient zone for the work required.

My 4 cylinder ranger got only 10 miles a gallon on the highway when making it work hard pulling a trailer.

I could hear the engine grunting and the gear ratio was wrong for the work I was demanding at the speed I was going.

My full size truck got 12+ pulling same trailer at same speed. Lol
oh yea it's still always gonna be more efficient to be at lower rpms, less internal friction and whatnot, i've just never heard of something still being that efficient at such a high speed even regardless of engine size and gearing... i was ready to demote audi as a brand for making front wheel drive based top tier luxury cars but this would help them save face with me lol (since i know audi was so worried about my stupid opinion)
Old 01-02-24, 11:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,167 Likes on 869 Posts

then maybe i'm just being thrown off by the official number being 21 mpg hwy... the E55 also "gets" 21 mpg hwy but that's like only below 60 mph lol, and with the clutched supercharger pulley that diverts air past the supercharger when it's not boosting

The E55 has the super in the way of the air lol! That's the whole reason you don't really see rated MPG.

The W12 is just a straight up more efficient engine than the 4.0 UZ, if you divide it in half to 3.15L/half the output it makes nearly the same power to the wheels as the LS430 does. Full engine is 430hp AWHP stock, tuned is 465 give or take a little....my car did 415 to the wheels before carbon cleaning and my tuned LS430 only did 231 so it's only half the actual wheel output. That's an insane gap

That's same reason my 4.0 doesn't get the best interstate MPG and actually surprised me, I honestly though it would get at least 30 but best I could do to Florida and back was 28 where the LS460 can get 33....I just kept running into boost above 75ish and under that it was sluggish. Economy was better but it just felt odd off boost at higher speed, once in boost it just drops to around 22 so it was hard to modulate on top of wanting to also maintain 90 lol!
Old 01-02-24, 12:04 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

The E55 has the super in the way of the air lol! That's the whole reason you don't really see rated MPG.
under casual driving though there's a bypass that diverts air around it, and the pulley is on a magnetic clutch which remains disengaged until you step on it

makes me wonder what sort of mpgs it'd get without these systems lmao

interesting stuff about the W12 vs V8T, how does this final CEJA variant compare in this regard to the original 6.0 in the D2 A8 and Phaeton?
Old 01-02-24, 12:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
@BrettJacks
I’m weaseling my way out of a strip mall from behind, I swing the car around and see this… XLT but Ecoboost.

Looks just like mine lol. Only difference besides being an Ecoboost is he has the Chrome Package, which is the grille, wheels, and door handles. I actually swapped that grille onto my truck, so the only differences now are the wheels and door handles.

I'd also bet he has the 302a package which has a few more interior amenities than my 301a package.

Old 01-02-24, 12:55 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

under casual driving though there's a bypass that diverts air around it, and the pulley is on a magnetic clutch which remains disengaged until you step on it

makes me wonder what sort of mpgs it'd get without these systems lmao

interesting stuff about the W12 vs V8T, how does this final CEJA variant compare in this regard to the original 6.0 in the D2 A8 and Phaeton?
I'm sure you would see an improvement, none of that is good for flow but it's still better than not having it!

It's very very different, totally revised cooling system that relocated everything to the front and removed everything from the sides/rear of the engine. Intakes are totally different with a very simplified PCV and overall removal of all vac lines, it's DI not port injected and all regulation systems are mechanical not electronic control. Valve cover gaskets are gone, it's now just magnesium directly sealed with FIPG so that leak risk is gone. Same deal with the other systems, very simplified and much better access than on the Bentley or D3 W12s

No electric control thermostat or oil system in mine, it also doesn't have any variable systems on than intake cam VVT....the timing chain system was also revisited to no longer use "shoe" type sliding rails and it instead uses oil fed toothed sprockets that control/tension the 3 chains. This was done to fully eliminate chain wear, I have less than 2* adaption and I know people over 200k miles with under 3* so the chain is never something I worry about.

I also have by far the most compression ratio and engine reaction speed, the Audi versions are pure NA variants and actually the "true" form of the engine. Bentley simply borrowed the configuration and added turbos, it's only in the very latest years they recombined. My engine is the last one that is pure Audi, the 2015s are shared.

You technically can install a 2015-23 engine in my car though, it just will have unused connections for the "hard" cylinder deactivation system vs my soft system. The hard system actually deactivates the valves on the drivers side, my gen system only cuts fuel and alternates the banks every 5 min. I have it disabled

Last edited by Striker223; 01-02-24 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-02-24, 12:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 210 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'm a Chevy guy lol, but I still love F-150s. I love the way they look, and drive...especially after I had that King Ranch rental for 9 days.

They're EVERYWHERE here obviously, but not in red like yours, really not a lot of red XLTs. I just thought it was funny how I swung the car around to turn around and boom it was right there in front of my face.
Old 01-02-24, 01:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Debadged W126. Had to have been a 560 because I had to gun my car to keep up with him. Minimal smoke/smells. He was booking it. Why keep up a car like that but have it look like ****?

Old 01-02-24, 01:29 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm a Chevy guy lol, but I still love F-150s. I love the way they look, and drive...especially after I had that King Ranch rental for 9 days.

They're EVERYWHERE here obviously, but not in red like yours, really not a lot of red XLTs. I just thought it was funny how I swung the car around to turn around and boom it was right there in front of my face.
Chevy makes a good truck, no doubt about that.

ALMOST as good as Ford. haha
Spoiler

Old 01-02-24, 01:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Chevy makes a good truck, no doubt about that.

ALMOST as good as Ford. haha
Spoiler

Hahaha. Get back to me when you can take an Expedition and not service it once in 20 years and it still run fine, engine fine, with zip other than oil changes—-, the last Yukon did. V8 simplicity FTW. I don’t see why the newer one would be any different, 2 valve pushrod as well. I’m down for Ford vs Chevy talk lol.

I like Fords just to be clear. Shots fired but I still like them lol.
Old 01-02-24, 01:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I hate ford with a passion. Extremely annoying to work on, everything rusts, parts break for no reason, engines suck, and generally just poorly designed products.

F250-350-450 though are the best trucks.
Old 01-02-24, 01:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I hate ford with a passion. Extremely annoying to work on, everything rusts, parts break for no reason, engines suck, and generally just poorly designed products.

F250-350-450 though are the best trucks.
Ya'll are breaking my heart. lol

I've owned a Ranger(4 banger) and was so reliable, and a few F-250's and F350's, superb work horses.

My Chevy 2500 literally fell apart when it hit 90k. Rear axle, ball joints, clutch, etc, etc.
It was like dang, what's gonna break next. lol

Those were the days...
Have no idea what everyone's making now as far as reliability.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024