Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 03:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 200 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If it was for my personal car I would choose the LX. For a family vehicle I would choose the Yukon.

Just remember though you were ready to trade the Yukon on an LX because the battery was dead
I don't remember that honestly but it sounds accurate, I wasn't serious though. I don't remember a dead battery lol. That said there was no more reliable SUV than an LX570/GX in its day.

Surprised you would choose LX bc you're a V8 lover, the engine is the best part of the GMC. It's no V8 S-Class numbers wise but it rumbles and sounds great, and the 6.2 provides serious power. Then you've got a $120,000 Lexus SUV producing fake engine sounds, just fail all over the place.
Old 04-29-24, 03:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The last of the 570s I would have taken over those gen Yukons/Escalades but like I said they reallllly upped their game, it's different now.
Old 04-29-24, 03:13 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Which is better? In y’all’s opinion. I had the Yukon out today. The LXs I've sat in were no nicer than the Denali inside. Last gen for both is different, I just think GM knocked it out of the park. The Denali had an $82,000 sticker. This LX was I think $112,000. Why anyone would pay a cent more than that for an LX is beyond me. If they kept V8s alive it would be a tougher decision. Even with the Denali, the Escalade is a better comparison.... but I think the Caddy is also a waste of money above a Denali.
Not sure, that’s a tough one. But both are more attractive than the gaudy Escalade and it’s 3 foot tall drls.
Old 04-29-24, 03:18 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

The last of the 570s I would have taken over those gen Yukons/Escalades but like I said they reallllly upped their game, it's different now.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind having a previous gen Land Cruiser or LX 570. Much better than the new LX 600.
Old 04-29-24, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,878 Posts

I don't remember that honestly but it sounds accurate, I wasn't serious though. I don't remember a dead battery lol. That said there was no more reliable SUV than an LX570/GX in its day.
Didn't it leave you stranded or somebody stranded and it was at the dealer and they weren't 100% sure what the issue was?

Surprised you would choose LX bc you're a V8 lover, the engine is the best part of the GMC. It's no V8 S-Class numbers wise but it rumbles and sounds great, and the 6.2 provides serious power. Then you've got a $120,000 Lexus SUV producing fake engine sounds, just fail all over the place.
I love a V8, but not at the expense of everything else about a car. I just don't have any desire to drive a non-luxury marque vehicle, and the Lexus has additional refinements and the much better dealer experience and is more prestigious...

I don't believe the LX600 makes fake engine sounds...
Old 04-29-24, 04:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Didn't it leave you stranded or somebody stranded and it was at the dealer and they weren't 100% sure what the issue was?
Who knows, probably.

I love a V8, but not at the expense of everything else about a car. I just don't have any desire to drive a non-luxury marque vehicle, and the Lexus has additional refinements and the much better dealer experience and is more prestigious...
I understand, totally valid point.

GMC really needs to get their warranty shyyt together. 3/36 for $85,000 trucks? Then the cheapest Buick gets a 4/50? GMC isn't Bentley but they have plenty of cachet I personally think. My GM engineer cousin would take a Denali over all of them including Escalade, just as someone who works for the company for example. Some people think the Denali is just the right mix between a Yukon SLT and Escalade. I am telling you that LX is not any better inside, would be curious to hear your opinion. Two huge (Lexus quality) wood panels adjust and cover storage and cupholders in the Denali, I definitely feel you there on exposed cupholders.

I don't believe the LX600 makes fake engine sounds...
It does, through the speakers.
Old 04-29-24, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It does, through the speakers.
You gotta show me that, perhaps in Sport + but not in normal driving.
Old 04-29-24, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

@AJT123 You really don't remember? 5 weeks ago the Yukon left you stranded and was towed into the dealer. I went back and looked because I thought I was imagining things...

TODAY the 2022 Yukon started going haywire as I was on the interstate, then stranded me. Nothing dangerous, it just started slowing down, easy to pull over at least.

TWO DAYS in a row I've been stranded. The battery was bad in the Yukon, these damn complicated cars, and it made everything go haywire. Running boards stopped working and everything. I realllllllly missed my key and column shifter you just feel helpless with nothing analog to use to help/diagnose/fix. They couldn't get it into neutral so they had to drag it up onto the flatbed. So it's good it was just a crappy battery but today has been interesting let's just say!
It’s possible we may add another LX570 to the family fleet.

More info if so. The Yukon stranding me was fine, but I wouldn’t want it to be another family member and they sure as hell don’t want it to happen either.

It possible it could be more than the battery.

Like I said when it was delivered, if it’s junk it’ll be traded right in on an LX. The problem is size. But I could always buy them a roof rack luggage thing.

I’ve had to put some money into the Mercedes (fine) then the GMC breaks down (not fine). I sure hope it’s a small fluke. It’s under warranty. I took it back to the dealer on Friday and they’re running more tests once they get it back in there to the shop tomorrow I’ll know for sure.

LX570s don’t strand people, or sure aren’t known for it.
Let's just see what the problem is first. I don't think it's illogical, and I'm just brainstorming-- the LX would be worth less than this Yukon is now... I don't get bad deals on cars, never have never will. It'll take me 2 seconds to sell that Yukon and then pay less for an LX. I don't want a phone call from someone older in my family that's broken down and scared to death on the interstate in an $80,000 pretty much new SUV.

I sure could have used a shifter that wasn't on the dash that other day to get it into neutral and push it further off the road, LX wouldn't have been a problem. It has a real shifter and gauges.
They're gonna call me soon because it's back there in the shop. They were absolutely slammed on Friday when it was towed in.

Of course I hope it's just a silly fluke, I love that thing and GMCs. I still think it's the battery...
Old 04-29-24, 04:33 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

GMC really needs to get their warranty shyyt together. 3/36 for $85,000 trucks? Then the cheapest Buick gets a 4/50? GMC isn't Bentley but they have plenty of cachet I personally think. My GM engineer cousin would take a Denali over all of them including Escalade, just as someone who works for the company for example. Some people think the Denali is just the right mix between a Yukon SLT and Escalade. I am telling you that LX is not any better inside, would be curious to hear your opinion. Two huge (Lexus quality) wood panels adjust and cover storage and cupholders in the Denali, I definitely feel you there on exposed cupholders.

Buick has the lowest average transaction price $39,000) of all the GM divisions, GMCs is much higher ($66,000). So why did they give Buick a special warranty?
Old 04-29-24, 05:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Buick has the lowest average transaction price $39,000) of all the GM divisions, GMCs is much higher ($66,000). So why did they give Buick a special warranty?
Oldsmobile is lonnnnnng gone, but they were nice. I wish Buick would have bit the dust and Olds remain instead.

Buick is the 21st Century version of them, they are luxury oriented and get a very generous 4/50 warranty B2B.

@AJT123 You really don't remember? 5 weeks ago the Yukon left you stranded and was towed into the dealer. I went back and looked because I thought I was imagining things...
Ahhh, I do now, lonnnnnnnnng day with renovations. Yeah that was a PITA but just a bad battery and a hard reboot of the whole truck fixed it all. I admit I got a little dramatic but I was pissed.

That said, I've never had a car strand me in my life....ever, not once.
Old 04-29-24, 06:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,155 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
To incentivize people to consider the brand at all lol! Warranty is like a bait card makers can use to lure people in from other option when they normally would never consider a car from that maker.

Like Kia lol!
Old 04-29-24, 08:48 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 245 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would pick the LX because I don't need the space of the Yukon and prefer the looks of the LX.
Bingo, me too for the exact same reason.
Old 04-30-24, 02:10 AM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

Last edited by 703; 04-30-24 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-30-24, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I notice it uses the Ferrari-style gated shifter. I have always liked that idea .....I wish more automakers had used it in the past on their manual-transmissison-models. It vastly minimizes the chances of a bad or skipped-shift,
Old 04-30-24, 06:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I notice it uses the Ferrari-style gated shifter. I have always liked that idea .....I wish more automakers had used it in the past on their manual-transmissison-models. It vastly minimizes the chances of a bad or skipped-shift,
I love them too, but they require more precision to move laterally, which is both good and bad. It dramatically lessens the chance of a 3-2 moneyshift. But it actually increases the likelyhood of a 2-1 or 4-3.

I would still WAY rather have one than not, and Pagani's are particularly beautiful since there's no console covering them up.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024