Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Op-Ed: GR Supra is Currently the Best Lexus/Toyota Driver's Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-23, 06:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
RCF has its own strengths. It is unfortunate that you are trying to drag me into LC500 vs RCF as there are LC500 owners who might be reading, and I don't want to pit one against the other and say anything less than positive about it. My whole objective was to clear up misunderstandings around RCF and suddenly here we are.

I can understand street driving and how a car feels is subjective. However, objectively RCF pushed to over 7/10ths will perform much better and will feel far sharper. It is just a fact. Doing 7:48 on the Nürburgring with a non-pro driver in traffic and basically stock in a TE, is no small feat. LC500 chassis a shortened version of the LS500 chassis. The numbers don't support anything you are saying. The whole rolling, pitching is not evident until you really start pushing it and then it is simply just physics giving you the feel of how much it rolls, pitches and dives in the turn. Compression and rebound as well as spring rates etc. becomes more and more prevalent as the speed goes up through turns. I can literally show it to you on video contradicting what you are claiming. RWS so what? A base RC350 F-Sport has a RWS while Lexus developed a proper TVD system for RCF at the Nurburgring.

It is taking credit away from things that RCF SHOULD do well. It should feel much lighter, smaller, sharper, stiffer. It is simple physics. This is something objectively one can immediately feel. Pulls almost 1.00 g average on the skidpad sustaining it that is only exceeded by the LFA. Instead of it being credited for it, it gets ***** on. You can see it in lap time videos recorded on the same track with the same driver. My own G-meter I have seen 1.4G instantaneous showing up. The LC500 is 400 lbs heavier than RCF and has a much softer suspension setup that according to Lexus itself is a GT luxury halo car. Not an F car that is meant to be taken to the track. Do you know that the LC500 transmission overheats on the track? That is what the RCF is supposed to do well. You taking credit away by making absurd statements, only shows how much bias there is against the RCF.
LC500 is not an F car and is not meant for the track.
If there was LCF with bigger brakes, proper cooling, proper tires and stiffer suspension then it would run circles around RCF. The chassis of the LC is just superior - 1 bec it was engineered better and 2 bec its just newer.

RCF is a good car and i agree for track duty, its better out of the box than LC500.
Put some decent wheel/tires on LC and some better brake fluid and it should do ok. Neither would be my choice for the track though.
Old 09-18-23, 08:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LC500 is not an F car and is not meant for the track.
If there was LCF with bigger brakes, proper cooling, proper tires and stiffer suspension then it would run circles around RCF. The chassis of the LC is just superior - 1 bec it was engineered better and 2 bec its just newer.
It indeed will if it has gobs of power like it was meant to be a supercar competitor. While LC is great, LCF was abandoned precisely because it was going to be 4600+ lbs and they could not figure out a way to make it lighter as the chassis inherently is too big and too heavy. LC500 is a shortened version of a full-sized sedan chassis from the LS500 while RCF's chassis was developed to be a highly rigid compact, short wheelbase chassis that is the same length as my 2019 IS350 F-Sport and a shorter wheelbase than the 3IS, but feels completely on a different level. While my IS350 F-Sport shudders and quivers while going fast over undulations, my RCF remains brick solid with incredible rebound damping controlling over the energy from the spring with great body control while my IS350 goes all bouncy with torsional flex very noticeable. It was because it was made to be something that was going to be shared with the GT3 car for homologation. The RCF GT3's performance despite being disadvantaged that it is not a proper race car chassis, speaks volume for itself.

This video is a good example where the RCF despite being 500 lbs heavier and the Supra having a tune, they ran very close lap times 1 second apart (with the RCF having a failing alternator).

Neither would be my choice for the track though.
Everyone is entitled to his/her choices. I kept making the disclaimer since my first thread, it is not about who likes/dislikes one car or another. I was only trying to point out the inconsistencies in the article on a factual/objective level until I got dragged into people just trashing the RCF. For example, I posted my video of my 60-130 mph at 4000 feet DA in 11 seconds, which directly contradicted what one person said to me ("RCF is too slow").

Just like I never picked the F30/F80 M3/M4 for some very specific reasons, I would not expect anything different from people who pick the M3/M4 as it is benchmark so why would I argue against it? I was this close to buying an E90 M3 sedan with 6 speed manual and competition package until the RCF swayed me as it felt like a newer, faster and more improved version of the same formula.

To be perfectly blunt, I can afford any Lexus I want other than the LFA. You can see it clearly as I own three Lexus cars. If I am here sitting and defending the RCF from the negativity, it is because it truly exceeds my high expectations and considering the money I have spent on it, I wanted the sportiest offering Lexus had to offer. It is just that it checks all of the boxes for me offering great capability for spirited driving with a great high-revving V8 engine while still remaining practical, luxurious enough for me to put two baby seats in the back and a stroller in the trunk. All while still being something that makes serious power and being very fast where I run out of talent before its capabilities run out.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-19-23 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-19-23, 04:04 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

LOL That is what the magazines would like you to believe and people would buy anything they are sold. Real world is very different. I don't want to get into this, but in real life that is not what happens. I have Dragy videos of me doing 60 - 130 mph in 11 seconds at a high 4000 feet elevation with with exhaust and tune only. It would be solidly in the 10s if I did at sea level.

Lexus RCF CF/TVD - Cracking 11s in 60 - 130 mph Dragy GPS (96 - 210 km/h) at 3600 ft elevation - YouTube
While certainly not slow, still doesn’t compare to a G8X M3/M4, which was Striker’s point. Those do mid 9s bone stock in the 60-130. Obviously having a turbo motor means tunes can improve that pretty significantly—you can pick up a couple of seconds with just a tune and exhaust like you have on your car. Start throwing parts at it and things get really crazy. I’ve seen a FBO car in the high 4s, all dragy verified, and it’s only a matter of time before someone cracks into the 3s.
Old 09-19-23, 08:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

So BMW makes a better Lexus/Toyota is basically what you are saying. I cant disagree though.
Old 09-19-23, 09:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

It indeed will if it has gobs of power like it was meant to be a supercar competitor. While LC is great, LCF was abandoned precisely because it was going to be 4600+ lbs and they could not figure out a way to make it lighter as the chassis inherently is too big and too heavy. LC500 is a shortened version of a full-sized sedan chassis from the LS500 while RCF's chassis was developed to be a highly rigid compact, short wheelbase chassis that is the same length as my 2019 IS350 F-Sport and a shorter wheelbase than the 3IS, but feels completely on a different level. While my IS350 F-Sport shudders and quivers while going fast over undulations, my RCF remains brick solid with incredible rebound damping controlling over the energy from the spring with great body control while my IS350 goes all bouncy with torsional flex very noticeable. It was because it was made to be something that was going to be shared with the GT3 car for homologation. The RCF GT3's performance despite being disadvantaged that it is not a proper race car chassis, speaks volume for itself.

This video is a good example where the RCF despite being 500 lbs heavier and the Supra having a tune, they ran very close lap times 1 second apart (with the RCF having a failing alternator).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rISmlsVEEw4

Everyone is entitled to his/her choices. I kept making the disclaimer since my first thread, it is not about who likes/dislikes one car or another. I was only trying to point out the inconsistencies in the article on a factual/objective level until I got dragged into people just trashing the RCF. For example, I posted my video of my 60-130 mph at 4000 feet DA in 11 seconds, which directly contradicted what one person said to me ("RCF is too slow").

Just like I never picked the F30/F80 M3/M4 for some very specific reasons, I would not expect anything different from people who pick the M3/M4 as it is benchmark so why would I argue against it? I was this close to buying an E90 M3 sedan with 6 speed manual and competition package until the RCF swayed me as it felt like a newer, faster and more improved version of the same formula.

To be perfectly blunt, I can afford any Lexus I want other than the LFA. You can see it clearly as I own three Lexus cars. If I am here sitting and defending the RCF from the negativity, it is because it truly exceeds my high expectations and considering the money I have spent on it, I wanted the sportiest offering Lexus had to offer. It is just that it checks all of the boxes for me offering great capability for spirited driving with a great high-revving V8 engine while still remaining practical, luxurious enough for me to put two baby seats in the back and a stroller in the trunk. All while still being something that makes serious power and being very fast where I run out of talent before its capabilities run out.
It’s great that you are happy with your RCF but it’s not a car for everyone and does tend to be overlooked as its not the fastest or best handling or easy to modify etc.

It’s great that Lexus still make them though and I’m sure they will have dedicated following like the ISF for years to come.

I will stand by my experience that there are other cars which provide either more power, better dynamics or both. If you are ok with slow auto but love the Lexus brand and quality/reliability/ great V8 etc then the RCF is perfect car. It also is priced well relative to the competition.
Old 09-19-23, 09:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I will stand by my experience that there are other cars which provide either more power, better dynamics or both. If you are ok with slow auto but love the Lexus brand and quality/reliability/ great V8 etc then the RCF is perfect car. It also is priced well relative to the competition.
I make around ~ 530 HP at the crank (around 445 whp) now and that is more power than I can ever use. If I wanted to, I could get upo to 490 whp N/A with headers and E85 added, but I don't care. It is just a hobby. I am in my early-40s with wife/kids and not out to prove I have the best thing on the road. EVs are making it pointless to chase just numbers. That is why I bought it because I knew fun cars are on their way out. There is always something faster so it is about finding the best balance that works for the specific person.

Regarding the transmission, it has two different personalities. It is slow to respond and has a shift shock when you are driving around town even in SPORT+ and AUTO mode. I only use MANUAL mode and am OK with the slow shifts part throttle up to 4000 rpm. It is lightning fast where it truly matters when I am going pedal to the metal in SPORT+ and MANUAL mode. You can see it in my videos posted above. It is not just my theory. It is the Dragy GPS telemetry data graphs showing power is continuous through shifts full throttle.

Modified RCFs are no slouch. This is a EL headers/exhaust RCF vs a Supra with Downpipe + Tune.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-19-23 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-19-23, 03:09 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 109 Posts

I make around ~ 530 HP at the crank (around 445 whp) now and that is more power than I can ever use. If I wanted to, I could get upo to 490 whp N/A with headers and E85 added, but I don't care. It is just a hobby. I am in my early-40s with wife/kids and not out to prove I have the best thing on the road. EVs are making it pointless to chase just numbers. That is why I bought it because I knew fun cars are on their way out. There is always something faster so it is about finding the best balance that works for the specific person.

Regarding the transmission, it has two different personalities. It is slow to respond and has a shift shock when you are driving around town even in SPORT+ and AUTO mode. I only use MANUAL mode and am OK with the slow shifts part throttle up to 4000 rpm. It is lightning fast where it truly matters when I am going pedal to the metal in SPORT+ and MANUAL mode. You can see it in my videos posted above. It is not just my theory. It is the Dragy GPS telemetry data graphs showing power is continuous through shifts full throttle.

Modified RCFs are no slouch. This is a EL headers/exhaust RCF vs a Supra with Downpipe + Tune.

RCF vs Supra MK5 - YouTube
this machine sounds amazing!!
Old 09-21-23, 01:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,548 Likes on 1,823 Posts

I'll say this. The Supra is incredibly tempting. I like having four doors, so having an IS 500 right now is great. However, I don't necessarily NEED four doors. I've thought about the Supra here and there ever since it came out due to the overall recipe it provides and the price point. BMW drivetrain? Great. No problem - does not bother me. When it comes to inline-six engines, they are the best at them.

I've driven both an RC F and an LC 500 - actually, I've only driven the LC on track, but I have had a normal-ish dealership test drive in an RC F. The sales guy was a real champ and let me take it for two brief 10-15 minute spins around the block. Anyway, I think the LC 500 feels completely alien to the RC F. They simply are not the same thing. There's good and bad there. I like how low and planted the LC feels, and the interior is obviously very nice. The transmission, too, is overall an upgrade from the 8-speed in the F/IS 500. That said, I also think the steering and overall feedback from the car is a bit muted in the LC. That's not to say the RC F was brimming with feedback, either, just that the LC seemed slightly more distant. On track, driving it hard, I still mostly had to use seat-of-the-pants feel to gauge how hard I was pushing the LC. Maybe it is partly due to the lessened body roll compared to the IS 500 which I am most used to, but the LC felt just a little more vague. Just a little! I actually still really loved the car. The low center of gravity did lend it a more sporting feeling, and of course the sound was phenomenal. I think I'd still have one if I could. However, the RC F did feel every bit as sharp as the LC while also being more natural to drive. The steering and other inputs all felt more similar to other Lexus models I've driven, in a good way. Some people hate on the 8-speed, but I'll be honest here and say that I find it quite good. It generally downshifts and upshifts when I need it to, and those rapid upshifts at higher RPM ranges are satisfying. The seats were at least as good as the LC if not better, as well, and the F-style gauges are a nice differentiating factor from the LC's F-Sport-standard gauges.

I think it's pretty darned obvious the RC F is the more capable, more driver-focused car - at least in terms of numbers. That said, I think the LC is probably better if you aren't going to be absolutely thrashing the car. Both seem like great daily drivers, though, and the RC is a much, MUCH better value for the money as long as you don't go for the special edition models.

I dig my IS 500, but I am not going to sit here and say it is a better driver's car than an RC F, LC 500, or Supra. Though, it is very similar to the RC F on the surface, it won't hold up as well on track and will be too soft for some people's liking. But, it is a very fun and entertaining car for me to use as my daily and occasionally blast through the mountains.
Old 09-21-23, 03:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
While certainly not slow, still doesn’t compare to a G8X M3/M4, which was Striker’s point. Those do mid 9s bone stock in the 60-130. Obviously having a turbo motor means tunes can improve that pretty significantly—you can pick up a couple of seconds with just a tune and exhaust like you have on your car. Start throwing parts at it and things get really crazy. I’ve seen a FBO car in the high 4s, all dragy verified, and it’s only a matter of time before someone cracks into the 3s.
Exactly. The F cars are utterly outclassed. They are the best of what Lexus offers but they still are just a Lexus, the RCF is just a heavy out of date platform vs the Germans.
Old 09-21-23, 03:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

RCF vs Supra MK5 - YouTube
You clearly do care if you defend it so much. It's just an RCF, you can't fight against your supposed rivals from Germany.

The AA80E is fine when pushed to the max as you said but why settle for that when you have a ZF8 or PDK that does everything better at all times?
Old 09-21-23, 03:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,548 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You clearly do care if you defend it so much. It's just an RCF, you can't fight against your supposed rivals from Germany.

The AA80E is fine when pushed to the max as you said but why settle for that when you have a ZF8 or PDK that does everything better at all times?
The ZF 8-speed is great, but it boggles my mind how it's not very smooth in stop and go traffic. Also, shift times are not as good as the AA80E in most of its forms.
Old 09-21-23, 05:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223

So I can't talk and clear misconceptions about a car I have owned for 7 years, tested the limits on and know more about than anyone in this thread? You clearly trying to provoke me with such a hostile attitude and completely missing the point of the counter points I made about what is misunderstood about a car I own. I did not post them to prove my car is better/faster than anything nor am I racing anyone. No one ever buys an N/A high-revving engine to brag about having the fastest. I am too mature for that. I said RCF checks all of the boxes for me with a healthy dose of everything making the sum greater than its parts. I called M3/M4 the benchmark above and more power to anyone who wants ot buy the latest/greatest. I plan on keeping my old and outdated RCF most likely forever with EVs dominating because I love the short length/wheelbase, visceral, emotional and very responsive feel of it. Mine is not the fastest nor the most hardcore for the money I spent by a mile, but it checks all of the boxes. Just was stating factual argument about the technicals.

I would not dignify a response typically to those type of posts. With around 530 HP N/A, my car is fast enough for me while sounding great and arguing about it over the internet, is futile. I posted my 60 - 130 mph of 11 seconds at 4000 feet DA with two two bolt ons and at this high altitude and thin air, even the new G-series M3/M4 at best run 10.XX stock here at 1-mile above sea level. With the pulley, I am now even faster than before completely N/A and will find out it new Dragy runs. I am not racing anyone for bragging rights, so numbers are just a reference point. If I was on a racetrack and you said that to me, it would mean something where I could demonstrate. Until then, please move along if you don't like what I am posting.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-22-23 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-21-23, 06:58 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GR86 is Toyota's best driver's ​​​​​​car far and away.
Old 09-25-23, 11:45 AM
UFOHunter
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I love my RC F, but it’s pretty clear Toyota/Lexus is focusing on the GR Line to capture the enthusiast buyer segment.

This “enthusiast” buyer segment is typically aged from 20-30, with the exception of the mid life crisis buyers. The LC and RC is more tailored to that mid life crisis segment. See Corvette demographics (Sorry! No hate, just memeing )

Let’s assume that this 20 something buyer is going to be purchasing a NEW sports car with the intention to mod and consider their budget and the value received. I’ll round the MSRPs to make it easier. I don’t want to get into semantics like trim levels, mark ups, used car deals, or competition models. Just sticking in the Toyota/Lexus ecosystem.

Base RC F
~$68,200

RC F Track Edition
~$101,000

Supra GR
~$45,500

GR Corolla
~$36,000

GR86
~$28,400

Look at these numbers and let me know what you think an average 20 something y/o can afford. We can even give the subject a $80k budget and compare the value received from a base RC F compared to a GR vehicle. You can blow your entire budget on a base level RC F or get a pimped out GR and have extra to blow on your big ***** and shiny thangs.

GR and F are both equally fantastic cars to own and drive, with the only crutch of the F being the automatic transmission. Seeing the cost of these cars, there’s a clear reason why you’ll see more clapped out Supras and 86 then RC Fs. You get more value and aftermarket potential from a GR car.

As for the Supra being the top driver’s car, yeah I can see that. The hype, the heritage, the name recognition. Ignoring the “hAhA bMw SuPrA” comments, it IS the top of the line GR car you can purchase. Although I love the GR Corolla.

On a sidebar Motorsport perspective… GT racing is pretty boring to watch lol. Formula D and WRC is tons more exciting and better fits the young enthusiasts.

That’s just my logic.
Old 09-25-23, 12:18 PM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UFOHunter
I love my RC F, but it’s pretty clear Toyota/Lexus is focusing on the GR Line to capture the enthusiast buyer segment.

This “enthusiast” buyer segment is typically aged from 20-30, with the exception of the mid life crisis buyers. The LC and RC is more tailored to that mid life crisis segment. See Corvette demographics (Sorry! No hate, just memeing )

Let’s assume that this 20 something buyer is going to be purchasing a NEW sports car with the intention to mod and consider their budget and the value received. I’ll round the MSRPs to make it easier. I don’t want to get into semantics like trim levels, mark ups, used car deals, or competition models. Just sticking in the Toyota/Lexus ecosystem.

Base RC F
~$68,200

RC F Track Edition
~$101,000

Supra GR
~$45,500

GR Corolla
~$36,000

GR86
~$28,400

Look at these numbers and let me know what you think an average 20 something y/o can afford. We can even give the subject a $80k budget and compare the value received from a base RC F compared to a GR vehicle. You can blow your entire budget on a base level RC F or get a pimped out GR and have extra to blow on your big ***** and shiny thangs.

GR and F are both equally fantastic cars to own and drive, with the only crutch of the F being the automatic transmission. Seeing the cost of these cars, there’s a clear reason why you’ll see more clapped out Supras and 86 then RC Fs. You get more value and aftermarket potential from a GR car.

As for the Supra being the top driver’s car, yeah I can see that. The hype, the heritage, the name recognition. Ignoring the “hAhA bMw SuPrA” comments, it IS the top of the line GR car you can purchase. Although I love the GR Corolla.

On a sidebar Motorsport perspective… GT racing is pretty boring to watch lol. Formula D and WRC is tons more exciting and better fits the young enthusiasts.

That’s just my logic.
Lol coming from someone who is in their early 20s (24), I ended up getting the GSF with the intention to mod and with the logic of the GSF holding its value a lot better than the German rivals (love the new G8X M3/M4). While I would be getting more value per mod on a German turbo competitor compared to an NA Lexus, I wanted the ultimate daily driver with better reliability. For context, I did have a 2015 GS350 that I dumped a disgusting amount of money (do not regret it) into trying to turn it into something it wasn't... a full-blown sports car, hence buying a GSF lol. To an extent, I do feel that F owners purchase their cars, with the idea of enjoying the fact that they are driving something a bit rarer than an M or an AMG. I enjoy knowing that I am the only GSF within miles and whenever I go to cars and coffee I am the only GSF or the only F compared to the 15+ M cars. But all F owners do have to accept that German rivals really do offer faster options and will continue to do so.

However, for the money, if you had a second car already and were to look at a full-blown enthusiast car there are a ton of great German options, American muscle, or even old-school JDM ones to mod that all share a way the bigger pool of modification support offered for cheap. Also, I genuinely would not buy a brand new RCF or even RCF Track edition for the sheer fact that the transmission and engine have had practically 0 changes in the 8 years the RCF has been out. From 2015 to 2023 we have seen at least 2 big iterations of every M car and AMG offered.

Quick Reply: Op-Ed: GR Supra is Currently the Best Lexus/Toyota Driver's Car