Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove a new Mercedes S580 and S580e at legnth, thoughts compared to my S560

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that is interesting about the throttle response... in the GLE450 it's very apparent when the ISG gives you an extra shove of torque, on the dash you can even see the POWER/ECO meter suddenly shoot into the blue when it kicks in lol
Yeah I agree from having driven the GLS, I feel the 48v boosting you in that. I don't think this has anything to do with the 48V system its some change in the gearing or the throttle mapping.

I still say keep yours, it's somehow more "S-classy" to me
I still may. I really love mine still.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Reading what you wrote it lines up with what I felt but I do find it very strange that Mercedes went stiffer and Audi went softer. Normally the spectrum doesn't really change between the German trio but I guess they are changing stuff since it's not just me who felt it
It is strange, and BMW too the new 7 is softer than the old 7. Maybe its that mine has softened up as its broken in? I do feel like mine is softer than it used to be.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you checked out a Genesis G90? Bitkahuna was well-pleased with his....or are you you still turned off by the fact that they are sold and serviced at Hyundal dealerships?
Not yet but I will.

I'm not likely to step down to a G90 though, for one I want the V8, I would probably just keep my S560 vs getting a G90 unless it really blew me away.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't find the specific post, but you seemed quite enthralled with the new BMW 7-series, and were gushing that it was better-riding than your 560.
Oh I loved that i7, my issue is EV. If I choose to take the EV plunge thats what I would get. I don't think I would get a gas powered 7.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great write-up!
maybe the 'coding' you had done to your 560 is why it feels more responsive? i believe your coding forces you car to always move off in 1st gear.
The coding just makes it remember the last drive mode it was set to, doesn't change the drive modes.

also, doesn't your 560 have the 48v system also?
No, its an old style 12V

also did you check to see if the 580/580e were in any kind of 'valet' mode?
Yeah, they weren't.

even if the 580 or 580e feel 'slower' off the line, perhaps that's due to the priority of smoothness over anything else, so it could be basically programming.
But thats just the thing, it makes it feel clunkier and less smooth...I'm sure its programming, I just don't think it can be addressed its part of how its designed. Numerous people have complained about it at MBWorld.

the 580e i think you said it the ttv6 + the bigger battery and electric motor(s)? that 60mi,. or range is pretty great since for daily commutes that means basically using no gas. and you still have the ability to drive long distances without waiting at some charging station.
Its an I6 but yeah, that range is great. Its about 10 miles to my office, so on most days I would never use any gas. The EV mode isn't fast (EV is 148HP), but if you get on it it will use the engine and then snap right back to EV. It also doesn't require a level 2 charger, it charges from 0 on a regular outlet in about 12 hours.

glad you're coming around on the interior. yes, as you've mentioned, there's cost cutting corners, but obviously something has to give in a changing economy plus new features.
not sure if you were looking at models with the center 'slope' screen, or the crazy hyperscreen? not sure what's in the s580 (sorry, i don't have in that rarified air much! )
but i know from having driven the eqs suv that i loved the interior. i couldn't care less what's made of what as long as it looks and feels good in the frequent eye line and touch points.
I mean, $141,000 car there shouldn't be material reductions in the interior lol. It should wow me everywhere I look and touch.

The S Class doesn't have the hyperscreen, yet. My guess is the mid cycle refresh in 25 will get the "megascreen" or whatever they call it the new E Class has. This is what the dash looks like:

One thing I don't like is the big swath of piano black plastic on the console where mine is controls and wood. There is an option to have a dot matrix trim there that the one I drove has that looks much better though:

anyway, you have such a horrible decision between an i7, an s580, or something else, you poor thing.
I know, life is rough lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-01-23 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-01-23, 06:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

I kind of want you to get the i7 just to try something different. It’s not for me but would be kind of cool to be the first one here to have one. It’s got a lot of parlor tricks.
Old 09-01-23, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Trying something different for me is tough lol, look how long it took me to take the leap for the S Class...

My ONLY concern about the i7 is charging on trips...
Old 09-01-23, 08:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 873 Likes on 699 Posts

Nice review Sw17ls, enjoyed it.

What color combos did you look at?
Impressions?
Old 09-01-23, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Nice review Sw17ls, enjoyed it.

What color combos did you look at?
Impressions?
The 580 I drove was matte white with a black interior. I wouldn’t do the matte white. The 580e was dark blue with a tan interior. I like the dark blue, they have a dark grey I also like, interior I always like black but also like that dark tan color I posted above. The 580e was a light tan that probably wouldn’t work for me.
Old 09-01-23, 08:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I forgot to mention the rear wheel steering is an incredible feature.
Old 09-01-23, 09:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Have you seen the new to come Audi A8? Do you think it's going to be a game changer for the MB S, and BMW 7?
Old 09-02-23, 05:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I preferred the S580e, but my concern there would be once the novelty of the EV option wore off I would be unhappy with the coarser feel of the 6cyl engine.
It’s kinda crazy that it’s that way, since an I6 is inherently the most balanced engine layout (other than a V12). Must come down to decades of gradual perfection of their V8 platform, vs. a first attempt at a straight six since most of us have been alive.
Old 09-02-23, 06:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,150 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It’s kinda crazy that it’s that way, since an I6 is inherently the most balanced engine layout (other than a V12). Must come down to decades of gradual perfection of their V8 platform, vs. a first attempt at a straight six since most of us have been alive.
Cross plane V8s are also inherently perfect from an external harmonics standpoint, they just have an internal to the crank moment that can shatter them when pushed extremely far at the center journal. Almost never becomes a concern though.....

A V8 has the inherent advantage over an I6 of more firing events per rotation that makes it smoother. Same way a 12 has a 50% advantage over an 8, the power becomes nearly constant.
Old 09-02-23, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
Have you seen the new to come Audi A8? Do you think it's going to be a game changer for the MB S, and BMW 7?
Do we have a new to come A8? I've seen concepts but thats all

Originally Posted by geko29
Yeah, I've always found that I6s while smoother than V6s don't feel like a V8.
Old 09-02-23, 08:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

I6s are very satisfying, though, usually.
Old 09-02-23, 09:26 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 873 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There are some quality differences, for instance my W222 has fully carpeted sills where there is no plastic, and the 223 has hard plastic sills which IMO cheapen the interior somewhat, but it is still an extremely nice place to be. The sides of the console in the W222 with napa leather (non exclusive napa) are also real leather, in the 223 they are synthetic, you have to go to exclusive napa to get that area in leather which makes the full door panels and dash leather too, gets the suede headliner...
Ok, dumb question, what the heck are carpeted sills? Lol

Just thinking, if in a place that gets dirty maybe plastic is better and easier to maintain. Just ideas...
Old 09-02-23, 09:39 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ok, dumb question, what the heck are carpeted sills? Lol

Just thinking, if in a place that gets dirty maybe plastic is better and easier to maintain. Just ideas...

These. Some high end cars have plastic there for no reason, like my Audis are just plastic. Same with the B pillar, usually high end cars have cloth/alcantara upper halves and leather lower halves or at least soft touch materials.

For some reason some cars have the lower half just hard plastic so the end result is the lower rim around the door is a metal sill with plastic everywhere else. I hate it, I had mine wrapped in alcantara to "fix" it but I guess I understand because it does prevent W220 like sill shredding. People tend to just slam their shoes into those areas so perhaps it's a measure to prevent damage

Old 09-02-23, 09:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here are the sills on my car. As you can see it’s all carpet, there’s no plastic, in the new S This carpeted area is all plastic. The new 7 is fully carpeted in these areas like my car is.

Old 09-02-23, 10:08 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The other thing that makes me think it's intentional are the door seals.....sometimes they are like Steve's car and soft all the way around, others stop when they get to the bottom.

Quick Reply: Drove a new Mercedes S580 and S580e at legnth, thoughts compared to my S560