Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers and the Games They Play... Story Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 06:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,748 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Running costs of a Tesla are 50% lower than a gas car. Dealers can't absorb that kind of loss that's why they hate electric vehicles and will do everything in their power to stop them. Even the cash cow brake job is no longer needed.
Old 07-02-23, 06:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Running costs of a Tesla are 50% lower than a gas car. Dealers can't absorb that kind of loss that's why they hate electric vehicles and will do everything in their power to stop them. Even the cash cow brake job is no longer needed.
My MB service guy is older, he was telling me how happy he is that he’s close to retirement because there is no money to be made servicing the new EQ models.
Old 07-02-23, 07:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,966 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but if only the manufacturers themselves are selling vehicles, who's going to service your vehicle during the warranty period? And who is going to do the actual warranty work itself? Tesla has company-owned stores that take care of that, but most vehicle-manufacturers don't....that's why they rely on privately-owned franchises.

You can get some things done at independent shops, but not warranty-work...except in an emergency, that usually has to be done by an authorized dealership.
Who will service our vehicles if we buy directly? Who do you think services my Polestar and my Model Y? Hint: it's not the Toyota, Hyundai or any dealership

I had a warranty repair done on my Polestar last year by Polestar of Los Angeles. They even shipped my car back to me. Tell me any dealership that does that

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-02-23 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Who will service our vehicles if we buy directly? Who do you think services my Polestar and my Model Y? Hint: it's not the Toyota, Hyundai or any dealership

I had a warranty repair done on my Polestar last year by Polestar of Los Angeles. They even shipped my car back to me. Tell me any dealership that does that
Well, you just made my own point. Like I said, most auto manufacturers do NOT have their own company-owned service shops, but Tesla and a couple of others are the few exceptions.
Old 07-02-23, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My MB service guy is older, he was telling me how happy he is that he’s close to retirement because there is no money to be made servicing the new EQ models.

He may be, without realizing it, putting the cart before the horse. EVs will still need some things replaced, like tires, brake-pads (although pads usually last longer than in ICE vehicles), coolant-changes for the drive train, wiper blades, light bulbs, and electronic hardware replaced as it wears out or fails. And I suspect that idle teen-agers with nothing better to do (kids will be kids) will get their vandalizing kicks by yanking charge-plugs/cords on EVs out of their sockets, thereby damaging them, like they used to do by yanking off hood-ornaments, keying the sides of cars, and slashing tires. Those damaged cords/sockets will have to be repaired.
Old 07-02-23, 08:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well, you just made my own point. Like I said, most auto manufacturers do NOT have their own company-owned service shops, but Tesla and a couple of others are the few exceptions.
I read what you wrote, what I am saying through personal experience is you don't need dealerships to buy a car. I bought my last two cars directly online from the manufactures and financed them 100 percent online. I have them both serviced through service centers owned by the manufacturers. Toyota, Hyundai, etc. could theoretically sell me a car directly, and the "dealerships" can still service them as independent businesses. Why isn't that feasible? Why do I have to buy through a third party business that marks it up, adding zero value to my purchase except maybe a chair to sit on, a donut and a cup of coffee?

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-02-23 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 08:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

He may be, without realizing it, putting the cart before the horse. EVs will still need some things replaced, like tires, brake-pads (although pads usually last longer than in ICE vehicles), coolant-changes for the drive train, wiper blades, light bulbs, and electronic hardware replaced as it wears out or fails. And I suspect that idle teen-agers with nothing better to do (kids will be kids) will get their vandalizing kicks by yanking charge-plugs/cords on EVs out of their sockets, thereby damaging them, like they used to do by yanking off hood-ornaments, keying the sides of cars, and slashing tires. Those damaged cords/sockets will have to be repaired.
EV's are so much simpler, they are almost maint free. All the tire stuff will still be the same, stuff will still be broken in accidents and vandalism, but overall, the maint cash cow will pretty much be over, as even brakes, rotors and pad last over 100k

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-02-23 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 08:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I was talking to my mechanic a couple of weeks back who has been working on my cars since 2010, almost apologizing to him for changing several of my cars to EV's, and he told me pretty much the same thing...he's probably just going to retire once most of his customers switch to EV's
Old 07-02-23, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

$1,200 for a 20k service at MB, plus all the mechanical complexity. $3k for brakes, costs to maintain an EQ MB are dramatically less.

Plus, I think he knows his business. He’s been at it for 30 years.
Old 07-02-23, 09:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

And I suspect that idle teen-agers with nothing better to do (kids will be kids) will get their vandalizing kicks by yanking charge-plugs/cords on EVs out of their sockets, thereby damaging them, like they used to do by yanking off hood-ornaments, keying the sides of cars, and slashing tires. Those damaged cords/sockets will have to be repaired.
You can't seriously be arguing that dealers are going to rely on vandalism to keep their revenue stream going.
Old 07-02-23, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You can't seriously be arguing that dealers are going to rely on vandalism to keep their revenue stream going.
LOL....I didn't imply that. What I said was that it is likely to be a temptation for idle kids with nothing to do...and that it would add to whatever else they would have to do in the service shop. If you consider that "relying"....that's your word, not mine.
Old 07-02-23, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

$1,200 for a 20k service at MB, plus all the mechanical complexity. $3k for brakes, costs to maintain an EQ MB are dramatically less.

Plus, I think he knows his business. He’s been at it for 30 years.
It's not necessarily what the actual service-jobs cost (which, yes, for an M-B product, san be through the roof), but how much of it he actually keeps and takes home in his paycheck, which is probably between him and the dealership, and none of our buisness.
Old 07-02-23, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you mean dealers will try and come up with all kinds of worthless crap to sell you to pad their pockets since EVs require no maintenance then I agree they will.
Old 07-02-23, 09:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

LOL....I didn't imply that. What I said was that it is likely to be a temptation for idle kids with nothing to do...and that it would add to whatever else they would have to do in the service shop. If you consider that "relying"....that's your word, not mine.
You absolutely did. You listed off a bunch of things all cars need then added vandalism of charging ports (which ICE cars don't have) and said that stuff will be dealer repaired. How else am I supposed to interpret?
Old 07-02-23, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You absolutely did. You listed off a bunch of things all cars need then added vandalism of charging ports (which ICE cars don't have) and said that stuff will be dealer repaired. How else am I supposed to interpret?
No, I did not. Fact:...............EVs will have at least some different service requirements than ICE vehicles....but also repairs when kids inevitably start jerking the plugs and wires out of the outlets. Let's just hope that some kids don't accidentally electrocute themselves trying some of that nonsense.

And, this whole discussion got started around the idea of M-B Techs losing money on EV service/repairs.

Quick Reply: Dealers and the Games They Play... Story Thread!