Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers and the Games They Play... Story Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Lol that ad makes no sense 🤣. It's above MSRP with the price drop? They think we are all stupid
This is because there is too much demand. A direct price model would just price the car closer to the ADM.
Old 07-02-23, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Lol that add makes no sense 🤣. It's above MSRP with the price drop? They think we are all stupid
F'ing ridiculous lol

This is the dealer I bought my Sedona from in 2015. I drove a Telluride there a month ago or so and they of course have big ADMs and the salesman asked me after the test drive "what do you think, is it something you'd like to take home" and I smiled and said "Absolutely, but I would never buy it here, not from a dealer that charges a markup, somebody somewhere will sell me one for MSRP. Have a great day" and I got in my car and left. Look on his face was priceless.
Old 07-02-23, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buying a Tesla is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Elon Musk did not get to be one of the top three richest persons in the world by keeping his prices down.
Then throw my in the fire please!
Old 07-02-23, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is because there is too much demand. A direct price model would just price the car closer to the ADM.
Thats just it, there isn't too much demand. Demand is normal, they are artificially limiting supply to make it appear that there is too much demand.

Its like in my business, there are big escalations on pricing of homes but its not because of huge demand, its because there is no inventory. If inventory were normal, it would be a buyers market.
Old 07-02-23, 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats just it, there isn't too much demand. Demand is normal, they are artificially limiting supply to make it appear that there is too much demand.
Demand is not normal. There is too much money in the economy chasing too few goods. The interest rates are not high enough. Raise them to 10% and people will slow their spending…thus you will see discounts in these family vehicles. The person who buys with cash is the winner as they are not stuck with high interest
Old 07-02-23, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Demand is not normal. There is too much money in the economy chasing too few goods. The interest rates are not high enough. Raise them to 10% and people will slow their spending…thus you will see discounts in these family vehicles
It absolutely is normal. All the consumer indexes and buyer confidence figures show us that demand is not unusually high.
Old 07-02-23, 12:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Look, if people want throw their money at dealerships paying artificial markups, it's a free country. It's your money, not mine

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-02-23 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Buying a Tesla is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Elon Musk did not get to be one of the top three richest persons in the world by keeping his prices down.
Its transparency. I know what the car costs, it costs what it costs and there is no middleman tacking on profit for themselves for no value. If I were to order a car right now, the dealer would tack an ADM onto my car I ordered 6 months ago otherwise they would refuse to sell it to me. Doesn't happen at Tesla. the price on the website is the price.

And case in point, Tesla has LOWERED MSRPs. What other carmaker does that?
Old 07-02-23, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Demand is not normal. There is too much money in the economy chasing too few goods.
While I do not entirely agree with Jill, she may at least be partially-correct. Demand may currently be higher than normal because many people are trying to get new gas-engine vehicles before it becomes very difficult or impossible to do so because of politics and regulations.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-23 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

While I do not entirely agree with Jill, she may at least be partially-correct. Demand may currently be higher than normal because many people are trying to get new gas-engine vehicles before it becomes very difficult or impossible to do so because of politics and regulations.
The vast majority of buyers are not even thinking about such things lol
Old 07-02-23, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

The vast majority of buyers are not even thinking about such things lol
People are not always as naive as we may think they are

I myself may be looking an another new Encore GX in 1-3 more years for more or less the same reason....even though I don't particularly care for the new front end or the new dash. I still love the basic platform.
Old 07-02-23, 12:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

People are not always as naive as we may think they are

I myself may be looking an another new Encore GX in 1-3 more years for more or less the same reason....even though I don't particularly care for the new front end or the new dash. I still love the basic platform.
I've taught my kids to never pay more than something is worth. If they do, that makes them naive and financially irresponsible
Old 07-02-23, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can't blame people, not everybody is a car expert or has the focus on cars we do to know that the markups are a game. They see markups, assume everybody is paying markups and assume that they are driven by demand. At least when people got taken advantage of before, they were paying MSRP, and people with the skills and knowledge could do better than MSRP by negotiating and shopping, but now dealers are just outright screwing people.
Old 07-02-23, 12:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You can't blame people, not everybody is a car expert or has the focus on cars we do to know that the markups are a game. They see markups, assume everybody is paying markups and assume that they are driven by demand. At least when people got taken advantage of before, they were paying MSRP, and people with the skills and knowledge could do better than MSRP by negotiating and shopping, but now dealers are just outright screwing people.
I was referring specifically to my kids. They are not "car people", but they understand enough that paying above MSRP means the dealership is making profit on top of profit
Old 07-02-23, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its literally a line item for "profit" lol

Quick Reply: Dealers and the Games They Play... Story Thread!