Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus TX

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 04:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
RX seems to have always sold about the same amount throughout the years, even with a model change '15-'16, '22-'23. Here's a link, showing sales over the years:
https://carfigures.com/us-market-bra...,26%2C119,-%2D
...almost as if it were a comfortable and reliable, if unexciting, transportation appliance.
Old 12-21-23, 05:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
People don't like the wheezy, coarse sound of 4 cylinder engines either. Nothing about a 4 banger sounds or feels good.
"people" huh? maybe you at least, and when was the last time you drove a modern 4 cylinder vehicle? friend of mine has a rav 4. it's fine. another has a jetta. it's fine.
and i'm sure in the latest lexus versions they're even better, especially in hybrid models.

vast majority of new (non truck) cars sold are 4 cylinders, so 'people' seem to be absolutely fine with them.

RXs should always be selling like hotcakes. ... Did it lose the V6?
surprised you didn't know this!

and i know you love v8s but i bet the majority of ford f150 trucks (highest selling vehicle) sold now are v6.
Old 12-21-23, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

People don't like the wheezy, coarse sound of 4 cylinder engines either. Nothing about a 4 banger sounds or feels good.

A lot more don't than some of you think, IMO.
First of all, why would anyone need to red line their engines on normal street driving? 2nd of all, the 2.4t in the TX is more than refined enough, even for a 4cyl or when compared to the V6. I dont know what they did but its a good iteration and certainly more than enough power to move the thing.
Old 12-21-23, 06:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"people" huh? maybe you at least, and when was the last time you drove a modern 4 cylinder vehicle? friend of mine has a rav 4. it's fine. another has a jetta. it's fine.
and i'm sure in the latest lexus versions they're even better, especially in hybrid models.
Somewhat recently and it was a decent Honda. Engine was awful. I did a write up on it, the thing was literally dangerous the lag was so awful. Counted at least 2 Mississippi until full power came.

surprised you didn't know this!
I don't care about new cars anymore, not really... I assumed it lost the V6 and was correct, that's a big reason why I don't care anymore. The only Lexuses I care about are GX, LX, and LC.

and i know you love v8s but i bet the majority of ford f150 trucks (highest selling vehicle) sold now are v6.
Of course I know that. Doesn't change the fact that Ford techs all said if it were their truck they'd pick the V8.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...e-is-the-best/
Old 12-21-23, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

These things look a million times better than the Grand Hylander. In every way. I was behind a white GH today and about fell asleep.
Do you get excited looking at the back of cars? Do you need to change your pants by the time you get home? All cars look rather generic both front and back save for the occasional exotic.
Old 12-21-23, 06:59 AM
brennerm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX great for larger families

saw the TX at my dealer today, wow big and spacious will be awesome for family's with 3/4 children-great family mover.
Not for me I’ll stick with the RX
Old 12-21-23, 07:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

That has been the case with the F150 for years. I actually expect we're at most a year or two away from the 2.7L 4-cylinder making up the majority of Silverado sales. It likely already outsells any other single engine in the lineup.
Old 12-21-23, 07:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Do you get excited looking at the back of cars? Do you need to change your pants by the time you get home?All cars look rather generic both front and back save for the occasional exotic.
Yes, I get turned on looking at Toyotas and need to change my diaper when I get home.

My point was, the Lexus version looks so much better. GH is invisible, TX definitely not.
Old 12-21-23, 07:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
That has been the case with the F150 for years. I actually expect we're at most a year or two away from the 2.7L 4-cylinder making up the majority of Silverado sales. It likely already outsells any other single engine in the lineup.
At least in 2019, Chevy expected 10 percent of sales to be the 4cylinder. It does not outsell the V8s.

You are aware that the 2.7L Silverado got 3MPG less in real world highway driving than the 5.3L V8, right?
Old 12-21-23, 07:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

At least in 2019, Chevy expected 10 percent of sales to be the 4cylinder. It does not outsell the V8s.

You are aware that the 2.7L Silverado got 3MPG less in real world highway driving than the 5.3L V8, right?
Anyone that thinks turbos are more efficient needs to stop drinking the coolaid. Power is never free and physics cant be defied. Perhaps if someone sits in traffic all day long then yes, a smaller engine will burn less gas but any mixed driving usage, the benefits are not there. I get 15.6 mpg on my GX in mixed driving, while I got 17mpg on the NX200t in similar driving situations.
Old 12-21-23, 07:33 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I absolutely hate the way 4 cylinders sound and feel. Im in a rental Chevy Malibu right now while my GS is being fixed. It has a 1.5T with a CVT. It sounds terrible! At least GM put lots of sound deadening material in the firewall so it’s not loud. Acceleration is not that bad.

There’s no way I’d consider a TX over its six cylinder competitors. Which is sad because I really like everything else about this SUV.
Old 12-21-23, 07:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

May be true, but that was also the first year, it was only available in two trims (standard on none), and the lower trims it was available in also had the V6 as the base engine and the 5.3 as an available option.

It's now 5 years old, and is the base engine on most trims. The V6 is gone totally, the L82 5.3 that had been available in lower trims has also been dropped (L83/84 is still available in upper trims). Obviously it will account for a lot more than 10% now.

I'm not aware, but I'm not saying you're wrong. I do know one of the rags got exactly the 19.0 mpg combined EPA rating on their tester over 1,000 miles of mixed driving.
Old 12-21-23, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Anyone that thinks turbos are more efficient needs to stop drinking the coolaid.
not sure what koolaid you're referring to, but turbos are about more power from smaller displacement. if you drive one really gently, you might get better fuel economy, but probably not because the turbos run a lot of the time i think, plus all engine sizes and configurations (plus transmissions) have become so efficient. i was floored when i saw my lc500 can get near 30mpg in easy highway driving. that 10 speed auto is a big factor and the engine is almost idling at 70-80.
Old 12-21-23, 08:20 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone that thinks turbos are more efficient needs to stop drinking the coolaid. Power is never free and physics cant be defied. Perhaps if someone sits in traffic all day long then yes, a smaller engine will burn less gas but any mixed driving usage, the benefits are not there. I get 15.6 mpg on my GX in mixed driving, while I got 17mpg on the NX200t in similar driving situations.
I disagree. Sure there are cases where a 4 cylinder turbo is not much better on fuel than a v6 but there are many cases where it is.

The german 4 cylinders seem to be great on gas. The 2018 c300 my fiance had on highway at 75 mph I easily got 35mpg, drop it down to 65mph and it goes up to 39mpg. In the city 28 mpg was easy. In a v6 / v8 N/A, getting 28 mpg on the highway would be pretty good but will probably never achieve close to that in the city.

Did it sound good? hell no, sounded terrible but as long as you weren't pushing it, it was a great daily.

Toyota / lexus turbo engines seem to not be that efficient compared to its competitors.
Old 12-21-23, 09:23 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

The V8 has comprised less than 25% of F-150 sales for quite a while now from what I've heard. Mine was hard to find in this configuration, but there were a lot of ecoboosts in the same config. If the mustang wasn't being made, Ford wouldn't offer the V8 at all.

as car enthusiasts, one of the biggest mistakes we make is thinking the general public thinks the way we do. If you surveyed your coworkers to ask them what engine their car has, the majority wouldn't even be able to answer.

I know a lot of people who have 4 cylinder engines in vehicles that were available with 6 cylinders, and none of them seem to care about the sound. And these are often NA cars so they clearly don't care about the power either.​​​

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 12-21-23 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus TX