Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Tacoma (920B Program)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1

i-Force Max powered 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Interesting design/shape to the tailgate handle.
Old 04-04-23, 01:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I'm getting very excited to see this!
Old 04-05-23, 09:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am excited

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-05-23 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-11-23, 08:59 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter

Overlanders Rejoice! Introducing the All-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter

920B Trailhunter (Prototype Vehicle)

PLANO, Texas (April 11, 2023) – Developed from the ground up for those seeking extended adventures, Tacoma Trailhunter will build upon Toyota’s legendary off-road and overlanding credibility with purpose-built engineering and robust components. Stay tuned for more.
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Prototype Spy Shots - April 2023

920B Trailhunter Prototype Test Vehicle - April 5, 2023 - Courtesy of Tacoma 4G

Tacoma 4G

Unfortunately, I must apologize for having suggested an April 2023 reveal, seeing as the source of my information regarding April on the 2024 Tacoma (from February 2023), never said that verbatim and I should've known better.

We were asked about my spouse's work on the 2024 Ford Ranger by a Toyota employee during a Valentine's double date at a Troy, MI restaurant. This is what I heard semi-verbatim on 2/14:

"So...what are you guys doing with the Ranger? We'll be making a press announcement on the new Tacoma the first week of April! Can't tell ya the exact date! Are you guys gonna beat us to it on the Ranger?"

Instead of being allowed to respond, my spouse cut me off (for good reason) and changed the subject. I took her statement to mean, "full reveal". Clearly I was wrong and jumped ahead of myself, becoming a bit obsessed in predicting Toyota's marketing movements for CY 2023 (MY 2024). Clearly Toyota marketing folks are way ahead of me and although my source didn't lie, I better understood context better next time.

According to a Toyota source named the initials T.Z., she claims that to her knowledge reveal isn't until late June 2023. I do not personally know her, but someone keyed me into one of her recent comments on this subject and keeps following up with her. She stands by that time period. Some people have mentioned May 10th, per seeing "510" in a teaser last week. I don't know about that. Toyota has their annual HQ Confidential, which tends to reveal several next MY Toyota and Lexus all at once, in their Plano, TX HQ.

I expect the 2024 Lexus TX, like the 2023 RX last year, to be revealed in late May ahead of that event for June 1st. The 2024 GX may or may not be revealed there. I have taken interest in this development, due to it becoming the lead vehicle midsize TNGA-F.

Anyway, I don't see late June being related to that event. Sounds very standalone, meaning Toyota has intended to drag this out exactly 3 months from March 23rd to late June. Is it surprising? Not really, seeing as everyone wants to confine model reveals nowadays to under 6 months to showroom. I think due to supply chain concerns, it's the belief that initial deliveries are to be much lower volume compared to past redesigns, meaning they want the product to be as fresh as possible at full volume launch. For both the 2024 Ranger and Tacoma, that no longer means the first units that arrive at dealers within 4-6 weeks of Job 1. Now that could mean up to 3-6 months from Job 1, so keep reveals as late as possible to compensate.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-11-23 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 09:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

" I think due to supply chain concerns"

What kind of supply chain concerns are there? Used to be chips, now there's a glut of chips and not enough demand.
Old 04-12-23, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,443 Posts

and then cybertruck starts shipping, and crushes any excitement about this and ranger...
Old 04-12-23, 11:02 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
" I think due to supply chain concerns"

What kind of supply chain concerns are there? Used to be chips, now there's a glut of chips and not enough demand.
Going to need a source for this one. Because I'm still seeing all kinds of shortages, chips and otherwise, across multiple industries. Cars shipping with features disabled, to be added back in later when parts are available; or builds delayed due to quantity restrictions. Electronics manufacturers having to redesign products to use alternative chips because the ones in their current design are no longer available, or cancel products entirely because there are no alternatives.
Old 04-12-23, 05:23 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geko29
Going to need a source for this one. Because I'm still seeing all kinds of shortages, chips and otherwise, across multiple industries. Cars shipping with features disabled, to be added back in later when parts are available; or builds delayed due to quantity restrictions. Electronics manufacturers having to redesign products to use alternative chips because the ones in their current design are no longer available, or cancel products entirely because there are no alternatives.
Based on the latest financial reports from Micron, Samsung, AMD and Intel. Any semiconductor shortages are now manufactured shortages. Better yet, go to a Microcenter website and you see all kinds of bundled deals with CPUs, GPUs, motherboards and memory to move products. Case in point, I built an AMD 7900X system and Microcenter threw in free ram. Also, every other car manufacturer was able to increase production and inventory, except for Toyota and lo and behold, their dealers have the highest most aggressive ADMs. So I'm curious as to what supply chain issues are there? I know its off topic.
Old 04-13-23, 08:50 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Based on the latest financial reports from Micron, Samsung, AMD and Intel. Any semiconductor shortages are now manufactured shortages. Better yet, go to a Microcenter website and you see all kinds of bundled deals with CPUs, GPUs, motherboards and memory to move products. Case in point, I built an AMD 7900X system and Microcenter threw in free ram. Also, every other car manufacturer was able to increase production and inventory, except for Toyota and lo and behold, their dealers have the highest most aggressive ADMs. So I'm curious as to what supply chain issues are there? I know its off topic.
Um, you do know that the parts used in cars are not AMD64 processors and DDR4 memory, right? Just because you can get a 7900X at MicroCenter doesn't mean that an auto manufacturer can get sufficient quantities the custom processor used in their body control module. And there are thousands of bespoke parts like this in every vehicle, more or less all of which are required to build a car that actually works. Additionally, other than GPUs (which were available but largely scooped up by cryptominers en masse), the parts you identify here were never all that hard to come by even at the height of Covid. How do I know? I built two AMD-based systems during that time, and had no trouble deciding between multiple vendors to get parts from based on price. Also, you're talking retail. It's one thing to be able to purchase a single unit of a particular SKU from a vendor of your choice. It's another thing entirely to fill an order for 2M units of a specialty part.

Couple of specific examples: The AKM factory burned down 18 months ago, and has not been rebuilt yet, so there are zero of their DACs in the marketplace. Products using them have to be completely redesigned to use totally different parts from other manufacturers like Texas Instruments or ESS, or discontinued entirely.

I know of an electronics manufacturer in California who placed an order for DSPs from Analog Devices in May of 2021, which has been delayed numerous times and is now tentatively expected in August 2023--if it doesn't get delayed again. Certain types of capacitors and resisters are flat out unavailable and redesigns are necessary to use alternatives.

BMW just in the past month has started spacing out production of customer-sold cars with manual transmissions (moving previously committed build weeks) due to supply issues related to the transmission. Mine didn't, but I know a lot of people whose did.

Many manufacturers are delivering cars without features they're supposed to have (heated seats, adaptive cruise, etc) and re-installing those features as a recall of sorts as parts become available. This is dramatically more expensive than delivering them with those features in the first place, so they wouldn't do it unless they absolutely had to.

I had an example earlier in the thread where certain features are being limited to only low-volume trims. Three specific features were dropped from all but the top trim of the X3, two have been added back as supply improved, but the third (adaptive cruise) has still not come back.

Until just recently, Ford had forty thousand Super Duty pickups parked at an old Air Force base that were basically complete but unsellable because they were missing a few key chips. These finally started being drained down at the end of January.

Last edited by geko29; 04-13-23 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 10:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Um, you do know that the parts used in cars are not AMD64 processors and DDR4 memory, right? Just because you can get a 7900X at MicroCenter doesn't mean that an auto manufacturer can get sufficient quantities the custom processor used in their body control module. And there are thousands of bespoke parts like this in every vehicle, more or less all of which are required to build a car that actually works. Additionally, other than GPUs (which were available but largely scooped up by cryptominers en masse), the parts you identify here were never all that hard to come by even at the height of Covid. How do I know? I built two AMD-based systems during that time, and had no trouble deciding between multiple vendors to get parts from based on price. Also, you're talking retail. It's one thing to be able to purchase a single unit of a particular SKU from a vendor of your choice. It's another thing entirely to fill an order for 2M units of a specialty part.

Couple of specific examples: The AKM factory burned down 18 months ago, and has not been rebuilt yet, so there are zero of their DACs in the marketplace. Products using them have to be completely redesigned to use totally different parts from other manufacturers like Texas Instruments or ESS, or discontinued entirely.

I know of an electronics manufacturer in California who placed an order for DSPs from Analog Devices in May of 2021, which has been delayed numerous times and is now tentatively expected in August 2023--if it doesn't get delayed again. Certain types of capacitors and resisters are flat out unavailable and redesigns are necessary to use alternatives.

BMW just in the past month has started spacing out production of customer-sold cars with manual transmissions (moving previously committed build weeks) due to supply issues related to the transmission. Mine didn't, but I know a lot of people whose did.

Many manufacturers are delivering cars without features they're supposed to have (heated seats, adaptive cruise, etc) and re-installing those features as a recall of sorts as parts become available. This is dramatically more expensive than delivering them with those features in the first place, so they wouldn't do it unless they absolutely had to.

I had an example earlier in the thread where certain features are being limited to only low-volume trims. Three specific features were dropped from all but the top trim of the X3, two have been added back as supply improved, but the third (adaptive cruise) has still not come back.

Until just recently, Ford had forty thousand Super Duty pickups parked at an old Air Force base that were basically complete but unsellable because they were missing a few key chips. These finally started being drained down at the end of January.
So what u r saying is a semi fab will just let a line go idle instead of making other chips? So where are all other manufacturers getting their chips from?
Old 04-13-23, 10:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

So what u r saying is a semi fab will just let a line go idle instead of making other chips?
Feel free to point out exactly where I said that. I provided several extremely specific and easily verifiable examples, you continue to come with only conspiracy theory and conjecture, but no detail in any way relevant to the automotive or specialty electronics industries. I suspect this discussion has run its course.

Last edited by geko29; 04-13-23 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 10:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,745 Likes on 2,326 Posts

This is still a problem by the looks, a whole bunch of car audio head units are "back ordered" some for over a year. They may never be available again. Not sure if it specifically because of the devices made in the factory above but it's certainly because some components are not available.

Does anyone know what processor/GPU is used in Toyota infotainment units?
Old 04-13-23, 10:42 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1

Overlanders Rejoice! Introducing the All-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter

2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Prototype Spy Shots - April 2023

If they want to market a truck that has the term "trailhunter", they'd be much better off by dropping the 4-door variety. The added length doesn't seem to go with what they're trying to sell in this trim.
Old 04-13-23, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
If they want to market a truck that has the term "trailhunter", they'd be much better off by dropping the 4-door variety. The added length doesn't seem to go with what they're trying to sell in this trim.
The way Toyota packages their trucks. The non 4 door truck off-road truck is the same length, wheelbase and and size as the 4 door off road truck. Essentially it’s the exact same truck.
Old 04-25-23, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://pressroom.toyota.com/ultimat...ortable-tunes/

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Tacoma (920B Program)