Lexus IS 250 headlight assembly :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 12:29 PM
RitaNg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS 250 headlight assembly :(

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get some advice/thoughts on this, as I don't have any knowledge/interest in cars.

Recently, I noticed some condensation in my passenger headlight and it caused the bulb to burn out. I brought it to Lexus and they said I needed a new headlight assembly, which would cost $2200 to get done!! Is this reasonable? It's a high intensity headlight (or whatever they're called).

I always go back to Lexus for any work, but this one really crushed my soul. I'm always a sucker and listen to whatever recommendations they have for me, but this one just made me sad. I do want a genuine Lexus assembly, but I don't know if I should just go to a random autobody place and have them order one for me. I also don't want them to order a fake part and charge me insane amounts. Maybe the $2200 price tag is completely reasonable and I just don't know...?

Thoughts??
Old 07-06-15, 09:07 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RitaNg123
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get some advice/thoughts on this, as I don't have any knowledge/interest in cars.

Recently, I noticed some condensation in my passenger headlight and it caused the bulb to burn out. I brought it to Lexus and they said I needed a new headlight assembly, which would cost $2200 to get done!! Is this reasonable? It's a high intensity headlight (or whatever they're called).

I always go back to Lexus for any work, but this one really crushed my soul. I'm always a sucker and listen to whatever recommendations they have for me, but this one just made me sad. I do want a genuine Lexus assembly, but I don't know if I should just go to a random autobody place and have them order one for me. I also don't want them to order a fake part and charge me insane amounts. Maybe the $2200 price tag is completely reasonable and I just don't know...?

Thoughts??
What year is your car? model?

You can get used ones for much much less and install it youself. The process if straight forward and you can find videos on youtube to help.
Old 07-07-15, 01:20 PM
RitaNg123
Driver School Candidate

My car is a 2010 and it's the AWD one...not sure if that's what you meant. It has a premium package I believe.

There's about a 110% chance that I wouldn't know how to replace the assembly - I saw there a youtube video exists to do it, but I am very embarrassed to say that I don't even know how to change a car tire...

For some reason I have it in my head that I am very much against getting a used part. Not sure why that is. So far, I have talked to a friend's friend about pricing out a genuine Lexus assembly vs. a non genuine one, just for a price comparison, and then pricing out the labor. I think Lexus said it would be 4 hours, whereas this person said no more than 2 hours.

Fingers crossed!!
Old 07-10-15, 01:07 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RitaNg123
My car is a 2010 and it's the AWD one...not sure if that's what you meant. It has a premium package I believe.

There's about a 110% chance that I wouldn't know how to replace the assembly - I saw there a youtube video exists to do it, but I am very embarrassed to say that I don't even know how to change a car tire...

For some reason I have it in my head that I am very much against getting a used part. Not sure why that is. So far, I have talked to a friend's friend about pricing out a genuine Lexus assembly vs. a non genuine one, just for a price comparison, and then pricing out the labor. I think Lexus said it would be 4 hours, whereas this person said no more than 2 hours.

Fingers crossed!!
I don't think it's worth getting a new one for a 2010 model. You can get a used one for much cheaper. Go to a local shop and ask them for a price on installation. It's always going to be cheaper than dealerships
Old 07-15-15, 06:44 PM
schen04
Driver School Candidate

if you go to a private shop make sure u find one that is a reputable lexus servicer. seen alot of customers come in just recently getting work done at some random shop and end up having to pay for what the shop couldnt do properly and extra of course for what they messed up