Canada For events in Canada.

Dealer oil change cost in Canada too high?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 07:44 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local stealership quoted me $90 + tax ($100+) for an oil change.

Needless to say, I took it to my independent mechanic and he did it for just under $50.
Old 10-05-08, 12:34 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of oil are the shops using? There's a big difference in cost (double) and performance between synthetic and petroleum based oils. My dealer offers me the choice between either at the same cost. Guess which one I choose? Just looking at Costco's prices, their synthetic costs about $6/litre vs $3/litre for conventional (in Canada anyway). So doing an oil change at $90 with synthetic oil would actually be a fair deal, imho. So, this is the question that should be asked before comparing. In the past, I did my own oil changes, messy as it is. I will be getting back to doing this as the savings, however small are still significant in the long run.
Old 10-05-08, 03:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali m
They most likey used synthetic..

I work at a mr. lube... most lexus's dont really need to use synthetic oil..
Change the oil yourself usless you got a IS300 those filter are a pain!
why are 2JZ engines' oil filters a pain?

i need to find a mechanic thats cheap enuf to do oil changes for me with my own oil and filter
i still have like 4 new oil filters for my car and have like 30L of oil too
lol
Old 10-07-08, 11:42 AM
FMJ IS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last time i went for an oil change on my dealership, the service guy told me they are not synthetic. but they do put in 6.3L of oil, plus a free car wash : )

I still can't belive that bullock city charge under $30 for an oil change
Old 11-03-08, 01:21 PM
VTECMAN
Driver School Candidate

dont forget that vw rabbit oil change is only once a year basically.
Old 11-25-08, 12:35 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i bought synthetic oil myself and toyota oil filters for the 2JZGE in my GS300

drop my car to JRS Auto on E. Hastings and got them to change oil for me for $15

they did a basic check up for me too after the oil change
Old 11-25-08, 04:53 PM
sil-300
Rookie

i take mine to a performance shop and it costs me $97 for my oil change with Motul oil, filter, and labour.
Old 12-01-08, 04:13 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Dream on guys for 100 bucks it is conventional oil. Synthetic is around 160$.
Old 12-02-08, 03:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Then you're over-paying - and a lot more than you think. At $6/litre, your synthetic oil should cost you less than $50, assuming your GS uses no more than 8 litres. Which means you're paying over $100 for a car jockey to drain your crankcase and refilling it - a job that takes less than ten minutes. So you're in fact paying $600/hour for their labour. That's no dream, that's a nightmare...
Old 12-03-08, 05:53 AM
croach
Driver School Candidate

Default Cheaper oil change

I have been taking my RX350 to the Toyota dealer for oil changes and it is around $30 - same oil and filter. I live in rural area so no Lexus dealer for 250 km.
Old 06-24-15, 09:12 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Was just charged $115 + taxes, for a regular oil change. It is starting to get ridiculous.

I can do without the loaner vehicle and free wash, if it means I got more money in my pocket.

Will likely go to an independent or diy next time.
Old 06-25-15, 08:52 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want AC, a comfortable waiting room with WiFi and coffee, then dealership is the way to go. But you do pay premium.

If you don't mind standing around in a not-so-clean room without AC, then go to an independent smaller garage. You pay less than a dealership.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and getting a few cuts and bruises, then DIY. Labor is free!!

Stop whining!!

I have been doing DIY on all fluids, timing belt, brakes, suspensions, etc....for almost 15 years on my vehicles and family vehicles.
Old 06-25-15, 05:54 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BDSL
If you want AC, a comfortable waiting room with WiFi and coffee, then dealership is the way to go. But you do pay premium.

If you don't mind standing around in a not-so-clean room without AC, then go to an independent smaller garage. You pay less than a dealership.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and getting a few cuts and bruises, then DIY. Labor is free!!

Stop whining!!

I have been doing DIY on all fluids, timing belt, brakes, suspensions, etc....for almost 15 years on my vehicles and family vehicles.

I'm not whining. I have been going for all my services at the stealership for quite some time.

But a 15% y/y change? I don't pay money just for a warm Lexus fuzzy feeling. Jack up complex work if you have to, but oil changes?

Toyota won't touch Lexus vehicles in my area, so I've got no choice but to pay for inflated services or go elsewhere.
Old 06-26-15, 05:43 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
I'm not whining. I have been going for all my services at the stealership for quite some time.

But a 15% y/y change? I don't pay money just for a warm Lexus fuzzy feeling. Jack up complex work if you have to, but oil changes?

Toyota won't touch Lexus vehicles in my area, so I've got no choice but to pay for inflated services or go elsewhere.
Oil price goes up, everything else follows.
Time to do your own oil change. On an ES, it is fairly simple. No need to jack up the vehicle.
Old 06-26-15, 07:22 PM
Neosakai
Rookie

Personally I dont trust the dealership. No master technician is doing oil changes on your car. The new trainees are likely to be the guys working on your car while you are sitting in a nice room with wifi and coffee you have no idea whats happening to your car.

Even for independent shops the person doing your oil changes are the newer and less experienced guys but the difference is you are standing near your car (assuming the shop is a not-as-clean and small shop) so atleast you are watching the process. And it is a plus if your mechanic is someone that has been taking care of you for years and someone you trust. At the dealership, its like a fast food restaurant. People come and go so you are having a different guy working on your car everytime

and plus stealerships are expensive..

Thats just my personal thought, Im not asking anyone to agree but if it gets people to give second thoughts to dealerships then I'll be glad my two cents are of use to someone.
(and im sure there are guys here who works at a dealership , please dont take anything I said to heart lol its just my view on things. I could be wrong.)

Quick Reply: Dealer oil change cost in Canada too high?