IS250/IS250awd or ES350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 07:41 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250/IS250awd or ES350 ?

Hi all,

New to the forum, I am from Toronto, looking for a new car in the following couples of months...I guess depending on when it would be available ? I have been looking around and test drove the IS and ES...still deciding which one I should go for...just want some advices from you guys and maybe how much you guys paid for the car ? I think I will lease instead of financing it. Any help will be appreciated !

Thanks
Old 03-18-07, 08:00 PM
legomaniac
Pole Position

depends what you want... sporty (arguably young) car? or a comfortable spacious people mover that'll last you more or less forever?

RWD = bit of preparation/cost needed for winter
FWD = a little more lenient and easier to deal w/ in winter

that being said, i do like the ES a lot...
Old 03-19-07, 10:01 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

buy an IS250awd...

the IS250 rwd just lacks the winter traction the awd has...

the ES350 currently still has it's transmission issues... i would avoid this year's model... flairs shifting into 3rd and 4th..
Old 03-20-07, 12:45 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

IS250AWD is one underpowered car for its weight
kinda like my GS300 but then IS is supposed to be more sporty so...
ES350 is so much faster than IS250AWD but then ES350 is FWD (do you really need RWD or AWD though?)

id go for ES350 but yeah the flaring issue still seems to be there but not as widespread now
let me look into the ES350 section of the CL forums for any recent updates
Old 03-20-07, 05:18 PM
wishihad1
Rookie

go for the es350 nice car. but if you could somehow wing it get the gs350awd. that is a nice car.
Old 03-20-07, 06:10 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by legomaniac
depends what you want... sporty (arguably young) car? or a comfortable spacious people mover that'll last you more or less forever?

RWD = bit of preparation/cost needed for winter
FWD = a little more lenient and easier to deal w/ in winter

that being said, i do like the ES a lot...
I think I would go for a more comfortable car instead, test drove the IS before, but parents say the back is not as spacious =\ ..but I do like the looks of the IS tho. However, the ES changed a lot in its exterior looks, much better than before ! Yet, it will all comes down to how much the monthly payments will be. Any one here bought an ES lately or IS ??
Old 03-20-07, 06:12 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by narfy
buy an IS250awd...

the IS250 rwd just lacks the winter traction the awd has...

the ES350 currently still has it's transmission issues... i would avoid this year's model... flairs shifting into 3rd and 4th..
Yupp, biggest advantage of the IS is that theres the awd option, which I think its very useful during winter times, when I have to travel back and forth from Toronto to Waterloo. But, fwd shouldnt be too bad compared to rwd rite ?? I never drove a fwd so far, until I test drove the ES. Currently driving an Impreza.
Old 03-20-07, 06:15 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UberNoob
IS250AWD is one underpowered car for its weight
kinda like my GS300 but then IS is supposed to be more sporty so...
ES350 is so much faster than IS250AWD but then ES350 is FWD (do you really need RWD or AWD though?)

id go for ES350 but yeah the flaring issue still seems to be there but not as widespread now
let me look into the ES350 section of the CL forums for any recent updates
Yeaa, after the test drive, I was amazed how powerful the engine really is when I stepped on the gas pedal to avoid a red light lol hahaha...I have been looking through different threads on this forum and notice a lot of ppl getting mad/pissed about this transmission problem with the ES. I was wondering what this flaring problem is...I still dont really get it after reading the threads =( ...some explaination would be greatly appreciated ! thanks!
Old 03-20-07, 06:16 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wishihad1
go for the es350 nice car. but if you could somehow wing it get the gs350awd. that is a nice car.
hahaha i wish i could wing it too man considering ppl are getting an ES for a graduation present or sth that I have read on this forum. I wish I was that lucky, ES would be good enough of a car for me =)
Old 03-20-07, 11:45 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

strange thing is GS350 also has its share of problems
in fact, it is the main reason why lexus isnt the #1 most reliable car manufacturer on JD Power's list this year
there have been some panel and trim fit issues making little annoyances...

i believe the most common transmission problem with the ES350 is the transmission slipping
i think its 2nd or 3rd gear that slips or something
sometimes resulting in momentary lack of power which could be dangerous and annoying

toyota nation has more info on the similar problem on some camry
u could also look into camry hybrid which has a CVT and is rather powerful too

also i was watching the news today
it says govt is still giving tax refund of $2000 for hybrid car purchases

it depends if u want the luxury or not
id still go for ES350 if u could wait for them to fix it
Old 04-12-07, 05:21 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

has anyone bought an IS or ES 350 lately ?? i was wondering what kind of discounts ppl got around the GTA area/the dealer ppl went to. thanks!
Old 04-14-07, 02:01 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

I just picked up my ES350 3 weeks ago. It has 2800kms now and so far I have absolutely no problem.
Old 04-14-07, 01:23 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

what color is your ES ? how much did you pay for it over at BC ?
Old 04-14-07, 01:36 PM
neova
Pole Position

I bought an IS250RWD mainly because I wanted the 6MT. I did a couple of service with Lexus and got the 2007 ES350 as a loan car.

If you love to drive then get the IS250 (RWD or AWD) because the ES will void you of any road feel what so ever. IT was also very snowing bad when I had the ES350, and the car drove as if there was no snow, and I can't feel it at all. Obviosly I felt my IS250 RWD less stable even with winter tires.

The base ES350 is about $42,000, about the same price as the IS250AWD. From a value point, the ES is a better buy because at taht price it already comes with a lot of basic items like power / heated seats which is an option on the IS. Also you get 270hp in the ES350 where as you only get 204hp in the IS250...

Given you're a student, the IS250 will fit your image/needs better. Do you really need a car that comfortably seats 5 adults? or Just the IS which is really a 2+2+kid?
Old 04-14-07, 02:03 PM
rwong
Driver School Candidate

thanks for you post neova !

I agree from a student's point, of course the IS would fit compared to the ES... however, every few months or so, i would have to travel back and forth from toronto to waterloo (have to move out every 4 months due to coop) .. so another reason why i am leaning more to the ES is that it has more luggage space, and i would perfer a more comfy ride if possible if i do get stuck in traffic, not to say IS is not comfy but i guess ES would be more compared to the IS rite? so do you think the IS's luggage space is big enough ??

Quick Reply: IS250/IS250awd or ES350 ?