Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Swap's 99 GS300 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 07:06 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap's 99 GS300 Build

So the head gasket blew in my E46 and the mechanic wanted $3,000 to fix it, which is why I decided to see what I can do with that same $3,000 on the used car market. My past projects include a 1960 Chevy truck, a 1989 Supra, and a 1993 240sx RB swap. The BMW was a good car. I had it over 10 years and it gave me almost 200k miles before the head gasket blew, so I got my money out of it. I looked through CL for a couple hours spanning from Ventura County to San Diego County when I saw this GS. I was not looking for a project car, but it has been years since I had a project going and I remembered that a couple Lexus models game with a 2JZ-GE. I wasn't all that optimistic that this was one of those models, but I looked into it anyway and found out that it came in this, the '99 GS300. So I said to myself, "self, you need to buy this car and start a little side project." So I bought it.
Old 03-17-18, 07:34 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

So it is out with the "Black Mamba," in with the "Gray Ghost." The name comes from the Queen Mary, which was painted a silver/grey in the second world war and became a troop carrying ship. Due to her speed and color she was nicknamed "The Grey Ghost." The spelling difference Gray/Grey comes from my name....which happens to be spelled Gray.... hence the "Gray Ghost." This is it when I bought it last month:

Old 03-17-18, 07:39 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

I'm usually a function before form kind of cat, but there is a minimum level of aesthetics that I need as a base line. So I got the windows tinted, replaced the hood struts, and went through my car audio woes right away, which I will explain and show below. The interior is in very good shape. No cracks, tears, or splits (those are really all the same).

Last edited by swapmeet; 03-17-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 11:34 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

After the hood struts and the tint job, I set out to tackle the audio. I had a nice system in the Mamba, so I reused the Hifonics Zues 3200 watt D-block mono amp with a 1 farad capacitor. In the Mamba, I had a huge, vented bandpass box with two Polk audio 12s, which pounded. Unfortunately it took up my entire trunk. Just before the head gasket in the Mamba blew, something else blew.... my subs...both of them. I learned this when I hired a car audio guy to switch my system . I had been driving a rental car for two months and forgot all about the sub issue I was having, which was that it seemed like they were going in and out, so I thought a wire may be loose, but when they were not working he took them out of the box and they were both blown. So I decided that some new speakers were in order, to which my audio guy recommended Kicker Competition VR 12s, regardless of budget, which surprised me, but he said they ran about 120-130 each and they hit ridiculously hard, so I picked a couple up. There is that funky area in the trunk that looks like the perfect place for a flush, custom enclosure, and sure enough, someone else also thought it would would be a good area, so I bought a custom sealed enclosure and then called the maker and asked if he could extend the front/face a few inches forward until I could get a full cubic foot per sub (which is what they call for). The result is a system that absolutely pounds, and has very good amplified component speakers, though those are my next area of addressing the audio. I know it is more common to state your plan with the car in the first post, but I wanted to introduce her to you first, before going into her life goals and everything.... so that will be done next post.

Old 03-17-18, 11:38 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

Okay, plan next time. Here are some pictures of the fresh tint:

Old 03-17-18, 01:47 PM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

So here is the plan: In the past I built my projects in the normal order, I think, which is power first, then beauty. This build is going to be much more laid back since the stock 2jzge is still fun. I know the projects that I am doing, but not the order. It will just kind of be whatever project I want to do after I finish one. This car will be driven often. I have other cars to drive if this one is in the middle of a project and apart or something, but my goal will be to start and finish each project over a weekend at the longest. I am going to go NA-T with it and I am looking for between 650 and 800 HP. That will obviously include pistons, rods, head gasket, turbo, wastegate, BOV, Intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, Exhaust, and I am considering a piggy back ems like the emanage....because I read that people pass obd2 emissions with those and I live in Los Angeles. I may go stand alone because I do know a guy at the smog check place. I'm open to suggestions throughout, of course, but in that area especially.

I am going to build the tranny with a sprag upgrade and valve body, which I am considering buying a second A650E tranny since they are so cheap, and building that one, then swapping it in and building the old one. This way I have a built tranny on the shelf, or I can help someone that needs a built tranny. I will also be adding a tranny cooler. I have not done enough research yet to know whether an upgraded torque converter is available or beneficial, but I will cross that bridge while I'm building the trannies.

I just got alerted that my steering wheel with paddle shifters is out for delivery....though my clock spring may not be here until Monday.

For the body kit, I want something that is subtly-medium aggressive, with two distinct features: First, the front bumper is the part that I can accept medium aggressive, or it can be subtly aggressive, but it must have a hole where the intercooler gets direct wind and you can see it while looking at the front of the car. The connectors on the engine components, and intercooler will be blue, and I'd like to see at least one through the hole in the front bumper, but it's not a must; I just think it looks cool. And the rear bumper must be solid across the back with two grooves cut out for the exhaust, or in an ideal, amazing situation, the exhaust tips would stick about a 1/2 inch out, through the solid rear bumper, but I have not seen that. I am thinking Duraflex Cyber front bumper and skirts, with a VIP rear bumper. Or, I might just go Duraflex VIP kit. But in addition to the bumpers and skirts, I am going to get vented fenders as well. The third kit is one I am heavily leaning towards--called Revenant. I am also changing the headlights, trunk, and tail lights to LED arangements with black backgrounds.

Rev Front Rev Rear Rev Sides

Vented fenders
Vip2 front VIP2 rear (well shut my mouth about the rear bumper holes!) VIP2sides
V style Front V style rear Vstyle sides

Duraflex Cyber Front Duraflex VIP Front
Cyber Sides Duraflex VIP Rear
Old 03-17-18, 03:34 PM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

The next project will be installing new door lock actuators on at least the passenger side doors, which only work with the key, but I bought 4. It seems like a PITA based on a youtube video I watched, so I might wait to do the driver's side until necessity compels me to do so. I will also be installing the steering wheel with paddle shifters this week. The problem is that the steering wheel is black and in very good condition, but airbags are outrageously priced. The airbag I have is grey, I hope it fits. If it does, then I'll either paint it black or get it wrapped in vinyl.
Old 03-19-18, 08:06 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Keep the build coming man. And the actuators aren't that bad. If you're just replacing the motors the worst part is cutting the actuator in half to get to them. Everything else is really easy though
Old 03-21-18, 10:15 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Keep the build coming man. And the actuators aren't that bad. If you're just replacing the motors the worst part is cutting the actuator in half to get to them. Everything else is really easy though

Thanks bro, I will indeed. The clock spring just came in, finally, so the new steering wheel with paddle shifters should be installed in a few days....Once I do a bit more research on how to handle the wiring/pin addition.
Old 03-21-18, 04:31 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I see you're talking about buying Duraflex (Extreme Dimensions) body kits. See my build tread (link below), they are willing to ship some pretty bad product and then tell you to deal with it. I got their sideskirts looking presentable but eventual decided to replace them with a much better quality product. I would not dare buy a full bumper from them.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...sr-gt3-12.html
The following users liked this post:
swapmeet (03-23-18)
Old 03-23-18, 10:49 AM
swapmeet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tiger4life
I see you're talking about buying Duraflex (Extreme Dimensions) body kits. See my build tread (link below), they are willing to ship some pretty bad product and then tell you to deal with it. I got their sideskirts looking presentable but eventual decided to replace them with a much better quality product. I would not dare buy a full bumper from them.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...sr-gt3-12.html

Wow, you did have quite a time, but you made them come out looking super sharp. Also, I love the rims. Extremely close to the look of rim that I'm going for. On the website it says that I may have to trim or fill (looks like both) the kit parts for perfect fitment, so I'm going to pay someone to fit/prep/paint, then install them. I've spoken with someone who will do that for $600 and another for $500. I will most certainly have your thread in hand in case they need some inspiration. Thank you for your insight and experience, it has been most helpful!