Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Project Osaka: 12' SFP on Red

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 06:06 AM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you still have the factory red interior kicking around? I have, in the past, been tempted to persuade to buy a red set off a member.
Wondering if USB over red would look as good on IS-F as it does on the GS-F...
Old 02-16-19, 04:40 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepstate
I believe the only detriment really will be to the wallet with the higher per-liter cost. The additives shouldn't make a difference, both are top quality GL-4/GL-5 oils.

Loving the build and the documentation here. Wonderful car.
Originally Posted by sleepstate
Do you still have the factory red interior kicking around? I have, in the past, been tempted to persuade to buy a red set off a member.
Wondering if USB over red would look as good on IS-F as it does on the GS-F...
That's good to know, considering this is a 30-50k mile service the few extra dollars for the additive isn't miserable by any means. Thank you! Trying to be as detail-oriented as possible so that others may have an easier time if they have something in mind or had a mod they were thinking about doing.

Unfortunately I sold the interior some time ago. I'm not a fan of the superman combo personally but I see the appeal. I've seen a few pics of USB IS-F's with the red interior, if you're into that then you'd love it.
Old 02-16-19, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

There is no need to run special oil in a Torsen diff. I spent a stupid amount of time attempting to tune the Torsen in my Supra with Red Line NS and their little bottle of additive only to find it made zero difference. If it were clutch type like the Giken I am running now, I believe it would matter, but honestly with the Giken TCD, just run the Giken oil or Motul (Giken says Motul works and it's a whole lot cheaper - it's on their website). I chose to run Giken so if anything ever goes sideways with it (other than the car, which is really one of the great benefits) I can ping Giken and ask WTF?

Also, the Giken is head and shoulders better than the Torsen in my Supra, and I like it better than the TCD in the wife's GS F. Way better. That's after playing with all the settings available.

And side note on the red interior - we have this in the wife's GS F, and it wears like nobody's business. I am already seeing very bad things in the driver's seat with only 45k miles on the car. Not what I would hope for at all.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-16-19 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sleepstate (02-18-19)
Old 02-16-19, 11:03 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is no need to run special oil in a Torsen diff. I spent a stupid amount of time attempting to tune the Torsen in my Supra with Red Line NS and their little bottle of additive only to find it made zero difference. If it were clutch type like the Giken I am running now, I believe it would matter, but honestly with the Giken TCD, just run the Giken oil or Motul (Giken says Motul works and it's a whole lot cheaper - it's on their website). I chose to run Giken so if anything ever goes sideways with it (other than the car, which is really one of the great benefits) I can ping Giken and ask WTF?

Also, the Giken is head and shoulders better than the Torsen in my Supra, and I like it better than the TCD in the wife's GS F. Way better. That's after playing with all the settings available.

And side note on the red interior - we have this in the wife's GS F, and it wears like nobody's business. I am already seeing very bad things in the driver's seat with only 45k miles on the car. Not what I would hope for at all.
Thank you so much for the info, so I should be fine going with their regular Gear 300 oil next time then? I just saw LS for Limited Slip and didn't think twice about the difference between mechanical and clutch type. So far I'm absolutely loving how smooth the drivetrain is with the new diff oil.
Old 02-18-19, 10:34 AM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's all good info. Thanks lobux

Shame to hear about the red though in the GS-F
Old 02-21-19, 12:12 AM
HurtadoISF
Pole Position

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Keep up the thread and the awesome build!
Old 04-10-19, 05:48 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

CCS-R Exhaust Dyno

Here are the exhaust runs:

Red = Baseline
Blue = HPS Elbow + aFe oiled filter
Green = HPS Elbow + aFe dry filter + gutted kitties + CCS-R Titanium Exhaust

The fill between baseline and the bolt-ons:

The car was dyno'd at EAS, 6th gear in Sport Manual.
Same wheels
Same Fuel (Shell 91).

I tried to keep things consistent as I could but here are some possible changes:
25k miles or so since my last dyno
Fresh spark plugs (literally right before the session)
aFe dry filter (my previous intake dyno was with the aFe oiled filter)
Temp + humidity (was about 7 degrees cooler but with all the rain it was more humid)
The car was hitting the speed limiter or something and was pulling early from redline.
My car is about 250 lbs. lighter than when it was last dynode
Checked my filter when I got home and it had 2 bees and was a bit dirty. Probably a few hp lost there.
Old 04-10-19, 05:51 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Final adjustments to the underbody aero with the F Sport Chassis Brace installed.

Here are the pictures of them finally trimmed. I probably shouldn't have cut the edge on one (Driver Side) since it actually can flap now so, I'll have to reconnect it with mesh (per the CCS-R).

Currently:

CCS-R (image courtesy of Roman from Chronos Racing):
Old 04-10-19, 06:08 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

March 11th, 2019
Brakenetic Type RS Rotors F&R, Stoptech Sport Rear Pads

My rear pads and rotors were looking pretty sorry so it was time. Despite semi recently changing the front rotors and pads, I thought it would make sense to run the Brakenetic slotted rotors front and rear together.
Interestingly enough the Brakenetic rotors are .5 lbs lighter than the stock rotors. What Brakenetic does is take Centric blanks and CNC the slot or drill pattern into them at their facility in Long Beach. I haven't had a chance to really push the rotors since I haven't been to the track but as far as daily driving and some spirited canyon runs, they're more than up to the task.

I had a good experience with the Stoptech Sport pads up front so I'm running them in the rear as well. The fronts are about half life right now but I'll be replacing them soon since the rears are fresh and some of the bite has faded from them.

Brakenetic Front - 26 lbs. new.

OE Brembo Front - 26.5 lbs new.

Brakenetic Rear - 21.5 lbs lightly lights used.

OE Brembo Rear - 21 lbs. near minimum thickness (fronts were 1lb lighter OE to OE when minimum was met).