Just picked up my new 300!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 05:20 PM
lexusSC3H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Just picked up my new 300!

Hello everyone!

Recently picked up my 99' Lexus SC. Overall the car is in good shape and runs healthy, it has minor dings here and there but other than that the exterior and interior is flawless! All gauges and climate control are in working order and am very happy with this purchase. But I had a few questions and concerns. Only flaw on the car that was stated by the previous owner is a minor oil leak from the cam seal and the crank seal. The car is currently sitting at 200k. I did some research and this looks like it's gonna take some work to change those seals. Being that I don't have all the proper tools and knowledge to continue on with this and would like some input from you guys! 1.) If I take it to a shop what would the estimated rate range from? 2.) Assuming all the seals and other components gets changed (Timing belt, Water pump etc..) how many more miles could I get out of my SC? Still in a learning process of these SC's. Some help would be appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Just picked up my new 300!-front.jpg   Just picked up my new 300!-back.jpg   Just picked up my new 300!-side.jpg   Just picked up my new 300!-interior.jpg  
Old 03-02-17, 05:56 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Default Nice.

Gratz on that Nice car..
Looks like mine except the interior & the engine. You better get it fix asap lol. I learnt the hard way with my 96 sc400. My 96 started leaking last year & I neglected it & it got worse SO I ended buying the 99 sc400, which I drive to work now. But hey i'm fixing the 96 now. So don't wait too long to get yours fixed. Love these cars... Once again gratz.....
Old 03-02-17, 06:01 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

did the previous owner convert it to manual or is that just a manual-looking shift boot for the auto?
Old 03-02-17, 06:25 PM
lexusSC3H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by totrider
Gratz on that Nice car..
Looks like mine except the interior & the engine. You better get it fix asap lol. I learnt the hard way with my 96 sc400. My 96 started leaking last year & I neglected it & it got worse SO I ended buying the 99 sc400, which I drive to work now. But hey i'm fixing the 96 now. So don't wait too long to get yours fixed. Love these cars... Once again gratz.....

Thanks! Love these cars a lot! the previous owner swapped it to the tan/beige interior. Yeah I plan on getting it fixed soon! Just looking for good price quotes for labor. And with you're 96' sc400 as for the leaking thats gotten worse is it still drivable?

Also how is it to daily a 400? lol
Old 03-02-17, 06:27 PM
lexusSC3H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
did the previous owner convert it to manual or is that just a manual-looking shift boot for the auto?

I wish it was converted to a manual.. It's just a manual shift booth conversion.
Old 03-02-17, 06:42 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Default 400 is awesome

Yeah the 96 still drives. I have to change the altenator also. those are the only issues im having right now. I drove it yesterday.

I've bought the 96 about 12 years ago with about 62k miles. It has been my daily driver untill 3 weeks ago when the altenator died . These cars are bullet proof. Just take care of them & they will not fail you. As of right now the 96 has about 170k miles. & it still drives. except the leak & the altenator issues. I just changed the trunk struts yesterday also. cost me about $13 for the pair of ebay. I'll keep on working on the 96 & I'm going to restore inside & out, repaint it & of course add some good stuff to it lol...Have plans to open up the exhaust and add the k&n setup, Lower it & new set of wheels and tires. & of course fix the darn leak. I'll be taking a lot of pix & upload it here when it's all done. I'm shooting for June to finish the project, just for my daughter 16th b-day . Hey I might keep it for myself once it's done lol. I'll get her a little 4 banger for school If I change my mind hahahahah...
Old 03-02-17, 07:42 PM
Lexcalibre
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a reliable repair history on the SC300? Critical -- When was the timing belt last changed? Might as well replace a number of components if no record of repairs or going to fix cam seals and you need to replace timing belt.

-- Timing belt, water pump, idler pulley and arm, cam seals, serpentine belt, hoses, crank seal, spark plugs, spark plug wiring, etc .Purchasing parts through Toyota way too expensive - OEM parts available in kits or directly from the suppliers to Toyota.
The following users liked this post:
lexusSC3H (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 08:05 PM
lexusSC3H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by totrider
Yeah the 96 still drives. I have to change the altenator also. those are the only issues im having right now. I drove it yesterday.

I've bought the 96 about 12 years ago with about 62k miles. It has been my daily driver untill 3 weeks ago when the altenator died . These cars are bullet proof. Just take care of them & they will not fail you. As of right now the 96 has about 170k miles. & it still drives. except the leak & the altenator issues. I just changed the trunk struts yesterday also. cost me about $13 for the pair of ebay. I'll keep on working on the 96 & I'm going to restore inside & out, repaint it & of course add some good stuff to it lol...Have plans to open up the exhaust and add the k&n setup, Lower it & new set of wheels and tires. & of course fix the darn leak. I'll be taking a lot of pix & upload it here when it's all done. I'm shooting for June to finish the project, just for my daughter 16th b-day . Hey I might keep it for myself once it's done lol. I'll get her a little 4 banger for school If I change my mind hahahahah...

Glad to hear she's still running! yeah these engines are definitely bullet proof if well maintained and taken care of. You are living proof lol you owned your 96' for 12 years and still running strong! (minus the alternator and oil leak lol) definitely looking foward to your restoration! I'll be on the look out of your SC once it's done and hey... you never know you might end up keeping it for yourself
Old 03-02-17, 08:09 PM
lexusSC3H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexcalibre
Do you have a reliable repair history on the SC300? Critical -- When was the timing belt last changed? Might as well replace a number of components if no record of repairs or going to fix cam seals and you need to replace timing belt.

-- Timing belt, water pump, idler pulley and arm, cam seals, serpentine belt, hoses, crank seal, spark plugs, spark plug wiring, etc .Purchasing parts through Toyota way too expensive - OEM parts available in kits or directly from the suppliers to Toyota.

I do not have reliable repair history of the vehicle, just to be on the safer side I'll end up replacing all the other components required to replace with seals. Thanks for the pointers!