Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS430 owner vehicles

Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman

Old 01-06-17, 12:52 AM   #1
Scootymad
Driver

Default Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman

Well all builds have to start somewhere, and this one starts out as a roughie, but it'll be a proper street sweeper that will kick it with the fast guys as well. From what I've seen of builds here, and the VIP scene in general, builds look a little restrained, and I can see why. these are seriously good cars and it wouldn't be right to ruin one. Well I've always been a little different. New Zealand is a different place on its own, and the build culture is also different, and while it takes a lot of cues from Japanese car culture, we always add our own twist on things. So without further ado, let me introduce "Project Yeti"

Its a 2000 model LS430, so it is one of the absolute first LS430s to roll out of the Tahara plant. You guys can debate what spec its meant to be all you want. It is also a JDM-spec Lexus, which was imported by Toyota New Zealand in 2005 as part of the Signature Class program, which refurbishes second hand NZ New and JDM Toyota models locally. I'll get to that part later on. Currently it has 219,000 kilometres, a slightly worn interior, a leaky rocker cover gasket and pretty rough paintwork courtesy of said program. But its driveline is fairly solid, and the UZ series V8s are built like brick s**thouses, which is just fine for what I want to do. It came with a set of Cobra lowering springs, which with the wheels it currently has, sits at a fairly useable height. Those wheels are Advanti N707s, measuring 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the rear (I can't remember the offsets but they sit just right), rubber is some type of cheap-ish Achilles 245/35/20 and 275/30/20. The wheel alignment is all about the place as well, so that will change soon.

When a car goes through the Thames plant here in NZ as part of the Signature Class program, it gets fully inspected, repairs are undertaken to what needs fixing, and depending on the state of the body work, it gets a full doors-shut respray in PPG Deltron. Back when this car went through, the body side of things was lacking in prep, and it shows in the photos, with multiple areas of delamination and other types of paint failure. Thankfully for me, I am a car painter by trade, and the body will be receiving yet another full respray, this time it will be repainted in Toyota 070 - Blizzard White - a 3-stage pearl white that is found on most new Toyota models, namely the Landcruiser, Highlander (which I believe is built in Illinois), Corolla, Rav4, and a bunch of other models. It doesn't look like the pearl white that sometimes comes out on Lexus models where the flop turns a shade of blue. The engine bay and boot (sorry, trunk) will be left its current shade of puke green (1C6 from memory). Because I have a penchant for burnouts (as does most of us gear heads in this part of the world), the rear bumper will get some sheet metal reinforcing and vinyl paint protection applied to the bumper and rear guards.

I have some big plans for this, and while my initial intention was to fix and flip it and buy a Subaru WRX, its now grown on me and I might just build this to be my own. Forced induction and a diet of E85 ethanol is on the cards, as well as either coil-over suspension or airbags (I doubt bags would like burnouts and bits of destroyed tyre) with the appropriate camber and caster arms. Fixing the interior will also be a priority, as well as rewiring the audio system to something more modern, powerful and show quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0174.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0176.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0183.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0184.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0185.jpg  

Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0187.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0188.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0178.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0180.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0181.jpg  

Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0182.jpg   Project Yeti - The Abominable Snowman-img_0177.jpg  
Scootymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 06:33 PM   #2
empringham
Lead Lap

Interesting color, i dont see very much of that. also,i always thought that 2001 was the earliest production of the 430, because up here in Canada 2000's are all face lifted UCF20's. Very cool.
empringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 02:07 PM   #3
heathervb
Rookie

It's cute!
heathervb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 11:34 PM   #4
Scootymad
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by empringham View Post
Interesting color, i dont see very much of that. also,i always thought that 2001 was the earliest production of the 430, because up here in Canada 2000's are all face lifted UCF20's. Very cool.

The colour code is actually 6S5 "Green" and according to our PPG computer it only came out in 2000. Japan got pretty much everything first, and this being an RHD JDM import means we get what Japan gets
Scootymad is offline   Reply With Quote