My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 08:58 PM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyYow23
great progress. good luck on the build
Thanks dude it’s been pretty easy going with the tear down and such the only things that are really getting in the way is the rusted bolts and how old a lot of the original parts are on here just seized up, but nothing a little heat applied won’t help fix except in the case of the O2 sensors them things just sucked. Thanks again for the comment. Always looking for peoples input on what I should look out for or how to here and there.
Old 04-12-16, 11:14 PM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

When your removing the oil pan from the engine with it still being in the car is a bit more of a challenge for those who know and or wondering

These back bolts are the worst to get at even with the engine being jacked up, almost just not worth the time, instead to just take the engine out but i wanted to do this was so i could learn more about the car and how its all done with out taking it all out, yes its the hard way lol

some anti vibration bolts and bracket, kinda useless now but these puppies were unsually hard to remove, ehh thats what air tools are for, brapph brapph, done

like i said its very clean tried prying on the crank gently to see if there was any front to back play and there wasn't any, I truly believe i found a nice gem here

took the pan off and surprisingly there wasn't any sludge or build up at all, very minimal amounts of metal bits or shavings if you will stuff you would normally find for old wear and tear but there wasnt any all all worth the mention even in the screen filter was damn clean

apart from the trans oil being a little old and dirty the pan was remarkably clean just like the oil pan , pics are also for reference for later when reconnecting the connections
Old 04-12-16, 11:22 PM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

I have been taking a great deal of pics from this build lol and these are just tear down pics for later reference, part pics and installations are coming soon dont worry, sadly because of my 3rd shift night scheduled I've been having trouble getting enough sleep and only able to get to the shop a few hours like every other day, far less than i wanted to be there working on her but then again i could be doing this in the drive way with stands and it would probably take longer

Last edited by Heartofach; 04-12-16 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 01:14 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

now that the oil pan assembly is completely out i now have access to the mains and rods so i can replace and up grade all to arp rods and studs. Note that when taking off the aluminum cast housing I really had to jack the engine up lifting off the engine mounts, and even the power steering lines where in the way, trans lines, lol and it just wouldnt give it up with out a fight. And also it does help if the crank is lined up nicely as well for more clearance to remove it. -__- least its out
Old 04-13-16, 01:19 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

After removing the oil pan assembly I was finally able to start focusing on the main engine bay tear down. Good thing alot of these bolts are just a simple 10mm and 12mm, with my little milwaukee impact made quick and easy work at removing most of the overhead

And of course the exhaust would still be giving me some problems. Couldnt full remove the exhuast due to the rusted bolts frozen together, and i couldnt remove the whole assembly thru the top, so had to jack the car up again and bust out the saw saw for the final cuts. It really helps if you put some penetrating oil on the nuts and studs before taking them off, just let it soak for a few mins was able to just burp them off with the impact quick and clean
Old 04-13-16, 01:27 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

So after chopping it thru with the saw I found this interesting that it was a double walled exhaust pipping. What really sucks about this is that Cadillac had this design as well and when it would get hot and cool rapidly like hitting a puddle or something to that extent the case would be that it would collapse the inside pipe but not the outside and choke the engine out. Interesting Lexus. Either that or they had some serious rusting issues that needed for this to take place.

All said and done time to weight this beast and see what it will be against our new stainless exhaust.
Old 04-13-16, 01:30 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

So come to find out that when removing the exhaust system, this thing has 4 O2 sensors..... 4..... why in the all that is good would you have this many.. not even my 2012 cummins has that many. 2 pre cats, 1 post cat, and 1 mid pipe... that is ridiculous . I was how ever able to remove 1 lol that in and of it self is a victory in my books. But no seriously Lexus???
Old 04-13-16, 01:32 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Now that the hard parts are done, now its time to move on to the intake, valve cover, waterpump, pulleys, the whole head, ie valves, retainers, springs, cams, custom -an fittings to the valve cover towers. So much to do yet. Stay tuned.
Old 04-20-16, 07:31 AM
2JZGTEILL
Driver School Candidate

hello, i had a quick questions, is your car going to pass emissions? How does wisconsin perform their emissions testing? hook up to the OBD2?

thank you
Old 04-20-16, 08:07 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2JZGTEILL
hello, i had a quick questions, is your car going to pass emissions? How does wisconsin perform their emissions testing? hook up to the OBD2?

thank you
Yes the Wisconsin emissions laws hook up to the OBD2 sensor what they normally read are the EVAP system the EGR system and what the OBD2 sensors are reading and some various other sensors that I can think of off the top of my head right now but the way that we're doing it it is we're going to keep all the OBD2 sensors and have plug ports for them so they will read what they should normally read and with the engine management system that I'm going with we can control the other sensors and EGR as well but essentially we're going to keep most of it on just for the facts so that we can pass emissions if we still wanted to currently right now I have the vehicle registered up north in a city that doesn't require emissions so either way it's going to be fun But to answer your question in the fullest when the car is all said and done yes it should pass emissions
Old 04-20-16, 08:10 AM
2JZGTEILL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Heartofach
Yes the Wisconsin emissions laws hook up to the OBD2 sensor what they normally read are the EVAP system the EGR system and what the OBD2 sensors are reading and some various other sensors that I can think of off the top of my head right now but the way that we're doing it it is we're going to keep all the OBD2 sensors and have plug ports for them so they will read what they should normally read and with the engine management system that I'm going with we can control the other sensors and EGR as well but essentially we're going to keep most of it on just for the facts so that we can pass emissions if we still wanted to currently right now I have the vehicle registered up north in a city that doesn't require emissions so either way it's going to be fun But to answer your question in the fullest when the car is all said and done yes it should pass emissions
dude thats awesome so it can be done. i guess i need to find a different shop to do the work.
Old 04-20-16, 08:15 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

dude thats awesome so it can be done. i guess i need to find a different shop to do the work.
Yes sir it can be done the OBD2 sensors that I was talking about is just basically an extension tube off the side of your exhaust to allow the pressure and the gases to equalize from the added fuel and burn off so that it doesn't throw a check engine light may get a few noise complaint tickets but I'm well aware of that LOL

Last edited by Heartofach; 04-21-16 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-20-16, 08:30 AM
2JZGTEILL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Heartofach
Yes sir it can be done the OBD2 sensors that I was talking about is just basically an extension tube off the side of your exhaust to a loud the pressure and the gases to equalize and then out the gases from the added fuel and burn off so that it doesn't throw a check engine light may get a few noise complaint tickets but I'm well aware of that LOL
your having all this work done professionally? could you share the name of the shop thats doing the work?

thank you
Old 04-20-16, 09:42 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

You won't have to worry about EGR. VVTI JZ's don't have it.
Old 04-21-16, 02:54 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

your having all this work done professionally? could you share the name of the shop thats doing the work?

thank you
This is being done here locally in wisconsin http://www.dragnflyfabrications.com/

It's a nice shop but the guy that I'm working with along side this build I would consider one if not the best fabricators and mechanics around very knowledgeable about what is and isn't needed with builds and or metal Fabrications and is a true artist if you will when it comes to welding and fabrication he can have stuff made and shipped at your request if not local. Give him a call or email if your interested in what he has to offer.

Quick Reply: My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?