Build Threads Details on Club Lexus RC-F owner vehicles

Community Input - RC-F Rebuild and Mods!

Old 02-07-16, 02:57 PM
detinater
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Community Input - RC-F Rebuild and Mods!

Hey Everyone!

I’m not exactly new, been a lurker with my IS and my other Lexus vehicles for years. Honestly I’m a big fan of Lexus and I started life as a Chevy LS guy! I guess it’s time to come out of the internet shadows and into the light.

Anyhow, to the point, I recently was able to acquire an RC-F through some of my junkyard/salvage connections for incredibly cheap. How cheap? Used Camry cheap. The catch? It’s salvage. Why? The guy who owned it drove it into some water and blew up the engine. Early analysis is 2 codes for misfire on Cylinders 6&8 with a cam position sensor being too retarded on bank 2. It is leaking oil big time when running (obviously missing on cylinders 6&8). I’m thinking blown head or head gasket around those cylinders. I haven’t seen oil in the coolant overflow, but there is water in the oil (If this is from coolant or external water I’m not sure yet) This is all I can tell you guys for now, the engine needs to be pulled to see anything more and I’m going to Columbia for a 2 week vacation so it won’t happen before then. But I wanted to post and get some ideas flowing.

Now I know the gears are already moving in some of your heads, both positive and negative. For you negative ones please try and only comment if you can help or keep this moving forward. I don’t need a debate or advice on WHY I would buy this, go buy a new one, why buy salvage, blah blah. It’s done, I have it, I’m going to fix it, so lets just move past all that.

I have a unique situation and experience to help with this, some being:

1. My pops owns a bodyshop so I have access to endless tools etc to tackle this.
2. I was a Chevy mechanic in high school for several years, went to school for engineering. I’m very comfortable around mechanics on vehicles, granted not Lexus, but ultimately, an engine is an engine.
3. This forum! I mean come on, I’ve lurked here for years, some of you out there are some smart cookies and I know you’ll all be a huge help tackling this rebuild.
4. All my cars have been salvage, I’m very familiar with this process. I mean when you get them for 30% of new car price who can resist, well if you like challenges that is.

Now the fun part, what to do with this thing? When you get an RCF so cheap it leaves you lots of room to play. Since I have to take it apart anyway, and also since I’m not worried about ruining my non-existent Lexus warranty that leaves a pretty clean slate. Obviously I want to rebuild the engine, but no sense in rebuilding it stock if there is something aftermarket that’s better.

So how can the CL community help me?

1. Anyone want to help? Haha (I’m in Denver if you do!)
2. Someone out there wouldn’t happen to have access to a shop tech manual for this car would they? I can toss you some $$$ via paypal if you can make a factory tech manual happen. I’m going to need some torque specs and procedures
3. Mod Suggestions - I basically have a virgin RC-F with 4700 miles on it. I’m already reading on exhaust, headers, porting and polishing, suspension.
4. Anything else you all want to add. I love CL and have lurked forever because of all the knowledge and write ups here. Since I’m going to be tearing this car apart before most any of you I want to give back and I’ll do my best to share all the knowledge I’ll gain tackling this thing. So if there is some write up anyone is itching for or if you have questions on yours, feel free to PM me.

(P.S) I’ve seen the posts on the HKS super chargers and the fact the ECU has been hacked. Which is awesome! If anyone from shops doing tunes on the RC-F ECU want to chime in on what they would do with an blank RC-F I’ve love to hear it. I’m perfectly fine making this thing into a beta testbed for some tuning and engine mods.
Attached Thumbnails Community Input - RC-F Rebuild and Mods!-img_1287.jpg  
Old 02-08-16, 09:12 AM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is sick and good luck on the rebuild. Are their any pics of it washed up?
Old 02-08-16, 12:31 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Build a track car

Looking forward to watching this build.
Old 02-10-16, 03:52 PM
detinater
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAM
That is sick and good luck on the rebuild. Are their any pics of it washed up?
Thanks. No pics of it cleaned up yet. Leaving for Columbia tomorrow and just didn't have the time wheel it outside and wash it down, besides the weather hasn't been cooperating too much

I'll try and get some of it cleaned up when I get back.
Old 04-08-16, 09:41 AM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates
Old 04-08-16, 12:38 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by TTechLexus
Any updates
Also in for updates.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-08-16, 07:36 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If that car that's been in or underwater he had waaaaay more problems than he probably anticipated and I bet it's electrical. Wires, CPU's etc + water = huge problems!