Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 05:45 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Ali - dang you make my brains start swirling around now with that picture of a stingray with a 2jzgte . A Tremec Magnum with the baddest built GM / Chevy engine in there would be the best to keep it domestic and not frowned for having butchered a stingray . Thus its value is appreciated also. Though usually those old cars appreciate in value if they are all kept original.

Halon - The noise is consistent with the noise you hear with very light aftermarket aluminum flywheels like fidanza on the R154 or V160 but worse. The fidanza flywheels at least has more mass , bigger and heavier than those button flywheels so it is not as bad.

As Ali said , may not be safe to get a second hand Tremec Magnum since we all know they are used in high end applications so they might have been abused already. Besides you hardly see second hand of them and the ones I have seen , the price difference from a brand new is not that much.

T56 , TR6060 and Magnum are 3 different transmissions. The T56 is the one used most by the production cars , then the TR6060 was the newer upgrade then the Magnum. People got used to using the term T56 Magnum since the T56s where being upgraded to Magnum. In reality T56 and Magnum are totally different transmissions. And all these three transmission were made by the company TREMEC. The magnum is an aftermarket upgrade / conversion transmission for the T56 / TR6060 that has lower specs compared to the Magnum. So hard to find them second hand. The company website Tremec dot com will have tons of informations for those three transmissions. I have gone through their site probably a hundred times, lmaol. Also TickPerformance dot com which is one of the well known transmission shops. That is where Joel Grannas get his transmissions done. I will almost guarantee you , you won't find a Magnum in any junkyard cause they are ordered specifically to upgrade a performance car. So people who get them know what they have. And usually these performance cars do not end in junkyards.

Ali , I hope you don't mind your build thread being cluttered with garbage .. lmaol. Since we had so much talk about the Tremec Magnum here lately, allow me to copy and paste here the pictures for a MKIV / SC setup I have posted on Ryan's thread so people would see that such a setup is a drop in ....

There is really not much work .. If you use the right bellhousing and shifter relocation kit , the transmission falls exactly where the V160 is. There is no guessing game whether it will fit or not . No tunnel beating . All you have to decide is what clutch do you really need for your application. Put it in just like the way you install your R154 trans and clutch... no adapters to make one part work or fit with the other. A very little trimming just needed on the casing of the Transmission so you don't have to do anything on your tunnel.

Here are stock pictures which I lifted online so you will see that all you have to do is bolt one part to the other .....

bellhousing for our MKIV and SCs
Name:  MagnumBell_zps6dekqxjz.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  62.7 KB

shifter relocated for our MKIVs and newer SCs with tripod W58 ....remember older 5speed SCs have their shifter located nearer the dash.
Name:  magnumshifter_zpscw3qgpse.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  11.6 KB

T56 Magnum .. note there are different versions of this transmission
Name:  magnumtrans_zpswuheortm.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  8.0 KB

bolted together... bolt the bellhousing to the Magnum , take out the old shifter and bolt in the new shifter , get the right clutch for your application and mate it to your engine.
Name:  magnumcomplete_zpsgk9aogms.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  165.8 KB

For the Differentials , after reading more about it and correcting what I previous said about the TT Auto , though he said on his website that you can use it instead of the 3.13 6speed diff , Joel had suggested something like 4 - 4.28 diff gear. In fact he is using a 4.28 gear ration on his supra.

Truly , Joel from Grannas Racing is not really making a lot of money ( you can compare his prices with Tick Performance who upgrades them for more power) on these so getting them from him with all the help and advices he provides is all worth it. Besides , there is very minor trimming on the Tremec casing which they will do already but no work necessary on your MKIV or SC tunnels.

If you are only for the stock Magnum capability of 700 ft.lbs of torque which for our inline 6 maybe around 850-900rwhp , you can get the transmission cheaper for around $3035 in some websites.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-15-16 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 08:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Haha yeah, that was my issue was a perfectly good stingray would have to be "butchered". maybe with a later 70's one like in the picture.
I think if you have to get one used you may want to look at the viper ones, but again most being sold are likely in need of a rebuild.

Go ahead and post up info related to it, that is alright with me I am interested in the whole setup.
I am thinking my stock 5 speed diff with the 4.08 might be just right actually.
The Kaaz 2 ways seem to be pretty well priced, was thinking of dropping one of those in mine.
I would prefer the 1.5 way, but they are like double the price almost. think I will just get used to the 2 way.. apparently the TRD is a 2 way also.
Old 09-15-16, 08:42 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Haha yeah, that was my issue was a perfectly good stingray would have to be "butchered". maybe with a later 70's one like in the picture.
I think if you have to get one used you may want to look at the viper ones, but again most being sold are likely in need of a rebuild.

Go ahead and post up info related to it, that is alright with me I am interested in the whole setup.
I am thinking my stock 5 speed diff with the 4.08 might be just right actually.
The Kaaz 2 ways seem to be pretty well priced, was thinking of dropping one of those in mine.
I would prefer the 1.5 way, but they are like double the price almost. think I will just get used to the 2 way.. apparently the TRD is a 2 way also.
Ali the stock 5psd sc300 diff 4.08 is a perfect setup with the tremec t56......I talked with joel from grannas and he confirmed...just depends on how long it will hold up....

Look like im going to swappign the TRD LSD over from the gs400 diff to 5spd diff......FML..haha

Last edited by CatManD3W; 09-15-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 08:44 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Yeah that 4.08 s300 diff will work and just get an lsd in it ... am reposting the following I posted from Ryan's thread for clarification purposes so people are not confused and not misled :

Let me help a bit on terminologies cause I don't want people reading this be confused and one day they see a T56 and it is cheap , grab it and think it is what they need.

The T56 , TR6060 and Magnum are 3 different transmissions. They were all made by Tremec and all the three have different specs or capabilities. Let me make clear of that. The T56 transmission was the most common found in domestic production cars like vettes , viper and others. Then there was the upgrade .. the TR6060 came out. Then some of these cars where being built with more power and torque so the Magnum was manufactured as an aftermarket option. Many of the T56 equipped cars where being converted to Magnum thus the name T56 Magnum was the term commonly used but are two different transmissions . I understand, if I am not mistaken, there was even nothing in common between them.

It is the Magnum (commonly called T56 Magnum because of those T56 conversions to Magnum) that is rated 700 ft.lbs of torque. Even that Magnum has different kinds . They differ on their gear ratio and length depending on where it is used so be careful in grabbing one just because you read or hear .. oh it is the sh?t right now since the V160 is gone. You can get the Magnum built to handle +900 ft.lbs of torque which is the Level 5 build from Tick Performance.

I hope that clears the nomenclature . It is almost impossible to find a Magnum equipped car like vettes in a junkyard or rare to find the transmission for sale second hand just because people who has them know their value. It is like you won't find a MKIV in the junkyard and people who has the V160 6 speed transmission know their value that is why hard to find them.
Old 09-16-16, 02:36 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Ali, thank you for taking the time to explain the original and retrofit steering systems in your Corvette! I have always wondered about that and about the myth that "C3's don't handle very well". That lays out the reasons right there. A stock 1978 model has been at my mechanic's shop for service. I wonder if many C3 owners know about the fix/upgrade...

As for the reason I'd want a 900ft-lb capable manual transmission... well... I could put that up against a heavily built JZ engine in the future of course... or a big block or turbocharged V8... but it will be a bit different. And right now it's just a long term future goal. I used to own a 1969 Ford Mustang fastback. Not any special model, just a regular fastback with a 302 and C4 automatic. I loved that car. I sold it sixteen years ago and still wish I hadn't. I want to find another one, restore the body, update a few things, add some safety gear and better brakes and suspension (possibly an IRS) and bolt dual AC electric motors to a built T56 Magnum. Batteries currently suck and cost a fortune but by the time I have the shell and transmission they may cost less and be much better. Anyway the main part of the plan is to get another one of those 1969 fastbacks and a Magnum and set up the chassis the way I want it. By then I can decide what exactly will power the car

Even all those years ago I had some very crazy ideas for my Mustang but I could not afford to do it. I wanted a Tremec TKO 5-speed (then current) behind a fully built 2.3L Mustang SVO 4-cylinder with a modern single turbo and a custom swapped/machined Volvo B234F DOHC cylinder head for significantly improved flow. The goal was about 450-500hp considering the response you'd get with a decently sized turbo on a 2.3L engine but those motors have been taken to 700-800whp in fully built race tunes. They aren't 2JZ's by a long shot but they are very tough. At the time it was far too expensive for me to attempt. Also, at the time I knew nothing about JZ engines. It would have pissed off purists (though I'd have kept the body looking very close to original... as I still do with my SC) but I could have cared less. I wanted to push the car and try something different and believe it or not most of the major parts in that ridiculous project built would have bolted together with factory R&D.

The reason for the Magnum, however, is TORQUE. I've already seen a few beefy transmissions blown with EV motor torque with only half the horsepower I'd want... and I would never go to all that trouble to build an electric setup for a car like that unless it has 300-400 flywheel horsepower... which for an EV means a crapload of torque comes with it and will shatter most manual transmissions. I love manuals and love the contradiction of new and anachronism in the same package and so I figure a T56 Magnum with such a high *constant* torque rating is the best bet I have to making that happen. As for "fuel economy" and weight given today's truly crappy battery technology... I'll just see what's out there when I'm at that point.

Anyway, I don't want to stray too far off topic for your thread or even for the SC forum... and I know I already have... so I'll leave it at that I can't even begin to start on that goal right now but I have it in mind. For now, my SC and all my other car-unrelated projects keep it in the distance.

And Gerry, those pictures of the Magnum are a thing of beauty! I hope Tremec keeps selling those for quite a long time. As long as the engine is meant to be in the front of the car it seems to be a good solution for almost any vehicle short of something with very small size, power and weight. And while they aren't exactly cheap transmissions I think they're worth it. Just look at how adaptable they are!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-16-16 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 04:48 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

And it's SOLD

Definitely had a good run and was due for a change. Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way, you know who you all are

New owner said he was on the forums occasionally so may show up again on here, him and his brother are both SC enthusiasts and showed up in a 97 5 speed that might be up for sale soon.
Good to see it go to someone who will put it to good use. I'll be around for a little while, but if I don't see you guys keep it classy CL!!
Old 11-08-16, 05:40 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats , and best wishes on your future endeavors. Which hopefully involves a 2J-Stingray
Old 11-08-16, 05:56 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

And it's SOLD
Well, you're officially dead to me ... in the sense that great artists are never fully appreciated in their lifetime.

Sad to see you moving on, but congrats on clearing space in the driveway!
Old 11-09-16, 02:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Halon
Congrats , and best wishes on your future endeavors. Which hopefully involves a 2J-Stingray
Thanks Halon! I won't be putting a 2jz into this stingray, but I can assure you that I am going to strap a turbo to it
Have started doing lots of research already and apparently a BW S475 + v8 is good for lots of tire burning power

Originally Posted by t2d2
Well, you're officially dead to me ... in the sense that great artists are never fully appreciated in their lifetime.

Sad to see you moving on, but congrats on clearing space in the driveway!
Haha, thanks I guess. Along with the many many good memories in that car there were a few bad ones too from that era, so it kinda sucks but I feel its the right time to try something new.
Now if I can get down to having just 2 cars I will have lots of more options on where I can move etc.. currently I don't even have a driveway, just one garage spot.
Maybe some day I will be back in an SC we shall see. I would love to build a 2jz Toyota 4x4 but I have the GX that I just armored up.. starting to make it an overland / zombie apocalypse vehicle. Also I have to keep reminding myself not to build any more cars cause I seriously need to spend some time on single guy hobbies... you know drinking and chicks.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-09-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 04:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Also I have to keep reminding myself not to build any more cars cause I seriously need to spend some time on single guy hobbies... you know drinking and chicks.
And you thought cars are a money pit...
Old 11-10-16, 03:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
And you thought cars are a money pit...
HAHA So true...
Old 03-22-17, 03:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Is anyone else not a fan of B.L.T. sandwiches?

I mean I love Bacon as much as the next guy, but the L.T. just doesn't sit right, there is just something off with the end product when you add lettuce and tomatoes to the mix.
Anyone else feel the same way?

Like Tuna or Brisket or Pulled pork... all good by themselves but ruined by the L.T., and don't even get me started on Onions.

Really if these L.T. sandwiches had a satisfaction guarantee I think I would be more willing to give them a chance, but it seems too good for something like that to be true.
Old 03-22-17, 05:40 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you saying that LT needs a little B?
Old 03-22-17, 08:04 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ali.....I can't believe you sold it!...I had no idea until I read this thread today.

Once you go 2JZ, you never go back....good luck on your future builds....and thanks alot for your help on the SupraForums ;-)
Old 11-17-22, 08:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Just an update, I think my old SC exchanged hands a few times and got parted out, is a shame but it did have lots of good parts on it.

Planning on a new SC build in '23.. after I finish building a few more land cruisers! stay tuned!!
Don't worry I still have lots of good 2J parts =)

Also I have started building custom land cruisers, so if you are into LCs and 4x4s stay tuned for that I'll post up a link to mud when the time comes.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-17-22 at 09:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ali SC3:
joewitafro (11-18-22), KahnBB6 (11-17-22), RudysSC (11-18-22)

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread