Darkside ISF

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 06:28 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darkside ISF

Hey everyone,

Been a member of CL for a while & thought I'd start a build thread (or a rebuild thread?) for my newly acquired IS-F.

A little bit of background on myself, I'm no stranger to the car or modded car scene. Slightly sentimental with my toys, so not known for changing project cars like underwear. I've still got my first car, one of my dream cars (with my brother) & a family wagon (for snowy trips, passenger loading including my 2 dogs).

94 JDM Import MR2 GT-S Turbo (Comprehensively built 5SGTE, GT35R, PFC, HKS SuperDragger, Work Meisters, Sard front with mixed-custom rear etc etc). Was featured in a few magazines in its day.

Series 8, 02 Mazda RX7 Type R Bathurst (mild port 13B, GTX35R, PFC, Work XD9s, RE-Amemiya CF bits etc). Joint project with my brother.

Not so-boring beater wagon - 02 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4 Twin Turbo (flashed, Fujitsubo exhaust, 19" Trafficstars, OEM Recaro interior)

I recently sold my 08 IS250 (purchased new). After 7 years of ownership & reliability, it was time for an upgrade. Shared great memories with that car, but I decided to let it go before the mileage crept up further & it depreciated too much. Had considered a 2GR conversion or ISF V8 but it would've been too much hassle.

As fun as it is having the MR2 & RX7, I do get a bit sad that I can only really enjoy it on my own. Have a young daughter, so they don't suit baby seats. The IS250 looked ok, but it was by no means a "fun" drive. My Wife was "pressuring" me to pick a birthday present (I resisted heavily in hesitation). Guess she knew all along that I'd always want another car. She approved a purchase of my choice, so I went out on the hunt. F80 M3 was on the list, AWESOME CAR! Massive respect, there's so much in it & it's truly a great drive. The purchase price is significant enough, but the thought of it depreciating $1000 dollars a month (Australian prices are no joke), was a bit too much for me to stomach. Also considered RC-F, but 2-doors won't cut it. C63 AMG is nice, but I've had bad experiences with the silver arrow in the past & I really don't like the new shape. Audi......cool but I will never own that marque again.

Last edited by MR2QIK; 05-31-15 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 06:29 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Enter the Lexus IS-F. Picked it up the other week. It ticked all the boxes:

Classy - I'm an IT Sales Exec, so driving around old Japanese imports isn't practical nor an ideal fit
Cheaper (compared to M3, C63, RS5 etc)
Trusted reliability - it's debatable how reliable the M3/C63's are, but indisputable the ISF would be the least trouble long term
Better on fuel than its peers
Holds its own in its class
Part of the "golden era" of all-motor V8 super-sedans
4 door & FUN!

I'm sure the car is familiar to many (maybe not from the way it looked when I got it), but long story short, it was previously owned by Danny (ilv1004s). It's an 09 IS-F, which has had a complete 2011 update (subframe, suspension, arms, low mileage engine, dash/cluster, wiring harnesses literally everything). Nothing devious happened to this IS-F to trigger the change, it honestly happened because Danny being the baller that he is, owned 3 IS-F's @ one stage (TimeAttack, this 09 & a 2011 which he sadly wrecked 3 weeks after purchase). Long story short, due to damage on the race car's engine & the repurchase of the 2011 wreck, he swapped the original 09 engine into the race car & transplanted all the 2011 gear into the 09 street car (this one).

Old link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...h-a-twist.html

The day I picked it up.

First of many trips to the petrol station.

Love it!
Old 05-31-15, 06:35 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Not going to bother lying or fooling myself. I will not keep this car stock. Before I drove off & after handing over a wad of money, installed an Injen intake on the spot.

Within days (took days rather than a day due to an interstate business trip), I purchased & fitted a Borla header back exhaust with high-flow cats. Can't have a V8 without that sound!

Old 05-31-15, 06:53 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Have to give respect to Danny. It's an awesome car. Unfortunately, he started parting it out before sale as he wasn't able to sell it in its former modified form. Not content to have the car go backwards, I tracked down the buyer of the Toms front/rear diffusers & bought the items back.

They're currently being touched up by my panel beater & will be installed midweek.

I also kept the 19" rims from my IS250, so will be installing those too this week.

Only items left for me to purchase are headers & Swift springs. Was considering coilovers, but think I'll wait. I'm conscious of not going backwards in terms of handling, so a coilover upgrade will be a bit costly (funds & time wise) at this point given I'd want to spend a fair amount of time setting it up. I've already lined up some headers for purchase, but won't mention the details until I've got them in hand.

Luckily I got the car before much more was removed:

CF steering wheel, IS300 gear **** & Think Design CF bits:

USDM tail lights (extra side light compared to local models):

Wald genuine CF rear bootlid "ducktail"

OEM visors:

Love the updated DRL's.

Last edited by MR2QIK; 05-31-15 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 06:59 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Few extra shots I took after cleaning it.

Old 06-01-15, 11:11 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

So today, this happened:

Was not happy with the front. The ride height will be addressed by about an inch, but the tyres were just too big & stood out (couldn't get my eyes off them). Went back around & thankfully my buddies @ Eagle tyres swapped them without charge from 225/40's to 235/35's. Much happier.

Old 06-02-15, 02:04 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Your others rides are very clean and unique along with this ISF. Can't wait to see it completed.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-02-15, 10:04 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice pick up, welcome and congrats !
Old 06-02-15, 11:29 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Love the MR2. How much HP did you get out of her?
Old 06-02-15, 05:02 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Cheers all!

Rossi, the MR2 makes around 500rwhp on pump fuel (equivalent to your 93) @ 19psi (if on dynojet - lower on a dyno dynamics which is common here). I won't run e85 due to local scarce availability & the car not being driven often, but with approx 30psi+ & e85, will no doubt comfortably hit 600-650rwhp (maybe a bit more). I've got & have run nitrous, but don't intend to use it again. It's already grossly overpowered for Sydney roads. I've lost my ambition to push boundaries with any of my cars, hence I prefer to run them well within their limits & enjoy them not being in a workshop. Besides, even if I punched out 1000rwhp, that's no longer anything to write home about nowadays. Extra costs/breakages also become frequent.
Old 06-03-15, 12:08 AM
usa5655
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking great bro! keep it up
Old 06-03-15, 11:04 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

looking good man, keep us updated!
Old 06-03-15, 09:58 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exciting journey and exciting future for sure! Excited to see what you have planned
Old 06-04-15, 05:22 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! That's an awesome collection of past rides too
Old 06-10-15, 04:11 AM
MR2QIK
Driver

Hopefully the end result is worthy of CL.

VMRwheels, those are all current rides (except the 2IS250).

These arrived:

Quick Reply: Darkside ISF