Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 11:28 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

My car reads an AFR in the mid-upper 13:1 range and my most recent pulls had the timing at 32 degrees. This was with 55-60F intake temperatures, but I still haven't seen where my timing has been pulled in logs where the intake temps were in the 80s. I bet you wouldn't have a problem with 13:1 and 30 degrees, would certainly make more power. RR should at least adjust your tune so that you don't have to just guess about your WOT AFR, anything above pegged at the bottom sounds preferable. Need it or not, you are missing quite a chunk of power up top that can be fixed with a tune. Maybe ill get my car on a dyno next month and we can compare numbers. Your maf values are about the same as mine after correcting for altitude so it wouldn't be an unfair comparison between tunes.
Old 04-21-18, 06:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,247 Posts

DickH, can you post some data showing load & ignition advance at speed and I'll post some from dead stop. Im not digging the ignition being pulled back as much as it is.
We need some apples to apples events.
Thanks!
Old 04-21-18, 07:55 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 531 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
My car reads an AFR in the mid-upper 13:1 range and my most recent pulls had the timing at 32 degrees. This was with 55-60F intake temperatures, but I still haven't seen where my timing has been pulled in logs where the intake temps were in the 80s. I bet you wouldn't have a problem with 13:1 and 30 degrees, would certainly make more power. RR should at least adjust your tune so that you don't have to just guess about your WOT AFR, anything above pegged at the bottom sounds preferable. Need it or not, you are missing quite a chunk of power up top that can be fixed with a tune. Maybe ill get my car on a dyno next month and we can compare numbers. Your maf values are about the same as mine after correcting for altitude so it wouldn't be an unfair comparison between tunes.
That would be great if you can make it to the dyno sometime soon. I feel there's a huge gap in available dynos of tuned IS350s to review/analyze ever since the Lexus ECUs were cracked two years ago.

I look forward to seeing what numbers your car pulls with the settings of your existing tune.
Old 04-23-18, 11:11 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,371 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Hey Rafi. Thanks for providing additional input on this thread and for the productive email feedback regarding how the parameters of the RR-Racing tune was determined. Since my KCLV is showing a very strong and healthy 24 at WOT, I do wonder if there's an opportunity to further adjust the ignition timing to 30 degrees vice 27 degrees on the standard tune.

Yeah, I heard that both the engine and transmission was replaced on the 2IS350 test vehicle that you have at the shop so that should resolve the low KCLV reflected on that vehicle.
Well now that you have the OBD Fusion app, try doing a 3rd gear pull, logging the Ignition correction. The base tuned ignition map does allow for more that 30deg timing, but what the ECU will actually give depends on the overall Knock correction and KCLV.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 04-25-18, 06:59 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Well now that you have the OBD Fusion app, try doing a 3rd gear pull, logging the Ignition correction. The base tuned ignition map does allow for more that 30deg timing, but what the ECU will actually give depends on the overall Knock correction and KCLV.

Rafi
I collected some initial data tonight using the OBD Fusion app and only included the relevant portions of the log (though I'll have to figure out how to get the rows of data to refresh significantly faster as the data looks more like a snapshot with multiple lines continuously repeating themselves). During all of my 3rd gear WOT pulls, the app was recording the following average:

Ignition timing advance- 27.5 degrees

Knock Correction Learning Value (KCLV)- 23.93

Knock Feedback Value- -3 to -4.25 degrees

AFR- 12.08 or 0.78 lambda (which could be 11.5)

My KCLV is near optimal at WOT (24 out of 25) which should mean I have little to no knock. The Knock Feedback Value shows a figure from -3 to -4.25 degrees at WOT (and always -3 degrees at idle and all other RPM ranges). I'm trying to determine if the -3 degrees Knock Feedback Value means that ignition timing is being pulled back or if it's a good indicator because of the high KCLV. I went through the entirety of the IS-F ECU Tuning thread (which I think is a great idea) but I found no answers there: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ts-please.html

EDIT:It appears that the more negative the Knock Feedback Value, the better. If both my KCLV and Knock Feedback Value are indeed great, it looks like my AFR (which could be 11.5 based on the lambda reading of 0.78) and ignition timing are still not where it should be (30 degrees instead of 27.5 degrees) for optimal power.

From OBD Fusion:

From Torque Pro:

Last edited by redspencer; 04-28-18 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 09:55 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Kinda off-topic Red, but it's something I've always wondered if I was correct in saying. If able, pull the ignition timing data upon cold start / cold operation and let me know what readings you get. I'm under the impression that the car pulls timing until at operating temp. Just would like to confirm this since I've wondered about it since I've owned this car.
Old 04-26-18, 01:50 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
Kinda off-topic Red, but it's something I've always wondered if I was correct in saying. If able, pull the ignition timing data upon cold start / cold operation and let me know what readings you get. I'm under the impression that the car pulls timing until at operating temp. Just would like to confirm this since I've wondered about it since I've owned this car.
Yeah, I can definitely get some read outs for you on what it shows on cold start. For frame of reference, the ignition timing when the engine is warm and idling while on Park is 13-14 degrees.

On a more positive note, I posted my question about the Knock Feedback Value on the IS-F ECU Tuning thread and the responses I received back was that the more negative the degree, the more KCLV increases. The more negative the knock feedback value is the better.

If both my KCLV and Knock Feedback Value are indeed great, it looks like my AFR (which could be 11.5 based on the lambda reading of 0.78) and ignition timing are still not where it should be (30 degrees instead of 27.5 degrees) for optimal power.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-27-18 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 11:48 AM
redspencer
OG Member

You were right. The car does pull timing until it is fully warmed up. At cold start today, the ignition timing advance was between 8-10 degrees. After coming back home from the movie theatre today (Avengers: Infinity War is great BTW ), the ignition timing was at 14 degrees when at idle and parked.

Cold Start:
Old 04-27-18, 01:45 PM
Gville350

Yep, exactly what I thought! Thanks bro!
Old 04-28-18, 05:22 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Yep, exactly what I thought! Thanks bro!
Anytime!

There's been a lot of great discussion from several folks here regarding datalogs and what the ECU is reading for both stock and tuned applications. I found the old IS350 ECU tuning Q&A thread that I resurrected today in the Performance section which will hopefully carry forth as our community archive for ECU datalogs and further inquiries as this has been a very interesting topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...l#post10185489
Old 04-29-18, 06:34 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,247 Posts

So I'm curious, why would this be of interest as none of use are going to jump to WOT when cold. Even after the water is up to temp I **usually** give it another 10 min plus plus plus before opening it up.

I grabbed a boroscope device and to look about inside as I wonder if something is causing spark knock on my engine. At 60,000 mi 5 of the 6 plugs were spotless but #5 had some build up on it. Hopefully all is well as those were the original plugs.

Let us know if you want a new thread for our tune ramblings...
Old 05-11-18, 01:23 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Let us know if you want a new thread for our tune ramblings...
Feel free to use this thread or the ECU tuning thread for tuning discussions as there are very few 2IS tune threads and I've recently become obsessed with datalogs ever since I took the car to the dyno last month. I'm constantly using either Torque Pro or OBD Fusion to see what the IS350 is doing at all times.

Speaking of tunes, I did receive an updated ECU Tune file from RR Racing earlier this week. Since the process of uploading a new tune had reset my KCLV from a healthy 24 to a pitiful 15, it will take a while before I can build the KCLV back to the mid-twenties in order to determine if the AFR and/or Ignition Timing Advance has improved when the car is at WOT.

Since the weather is starting to warm up quite significantly in FL, I have also been paying close attention to my IAT at both idle and when I'm cruising around town or the freeway. I've been reading DickH's Intake Mod thread earlier today (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...d-results.html) and I might play around with a roll of insulation that I have in the garage to see if there will be any performance improvements from wrapping the intake tube and snorkel.
Old 05-14-18, 12:38 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the KCLV, just see what your timing is and if your car is pulling any. It seems that our cars don't adjust AFR at WOT, its fixed to the tune.
Old 05-21-18, 12:57 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by DickH
I wouldn't worry about the KCLV, just see what your timing is and if your car is pulling any. It seems that our cars don't adjust AFR at WOT, its fixed to the tune.
Thanks. This does seem to be the case with the AFR as bringing the KCLV up to 23+ did nothing to impact the AFR.

After having the revised RR Racing ECU tune for nearly a month and capturing multiple datalogs from both Torque Pro and OBD Fusion, below is a snapshot of the best representative data from 5200-7100 RPMs.

When compared to the previous tune, this version of the ECU tune has improved the ignition advance from 27.5 to 29.5 degrees. Ignition timing advance has also improved significantly from mid-range as well. KCLV was at 23 and the Knock Feedback Value was at -3.

One factor that hasn't changed with the revised tune is the AFR which is still at 0.787 lambda (mid 11s) when at WOT. I've sent a request to RR Racing to see if they can lean out the AFR for the 2IS350 tune if it has a significant impact. After watching this tuning video that compared HP output between an AFR of mid 11s to 13 (at the 2:26 mark), it looks like there would be little impact to the overall HP:

On a side note, I've been debating on whether or not to get a Megan Racing midpipe to supplement the F-Sport exhaust. Though I anticipate the gains to be very minimum (2-3 rwhp), I still have the urge to make the exhaust note a bit louder.

Last edited by redspencer; 05-24-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 02:24 PM
Gville350

Though completely on a different platform and ZERO personal tuning experience, both back when I had Honda Civics and one that was boosted to WELL above what we make to the wheel, I was informed that a 11.5 AFR was a good, safe figure. Plus I was at a 9.5:1 compression ratio on E85. But I do know that direct injection helps ALOT with this, so yeah. Continue on. LOL!

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread