Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 10:35 PM
LexFather

Hameed, that looks awesome dude. Great install price too. I know seeing them in person (and Bit letting me drive his car) they are well worth the dough.
Old 04-19-04, 03:06 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NICE

Hameed,

nice pie plates!! Those things are SICK!. Keep up the great job modding that awesome ride of yours.
Old 04-19-04, 05:43 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: NICE

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
Hameed,

nice pie plates!! Those things are SICK!. Keep up the great job modding that awesome ride of yours.
Thanks Johnny and 1SICKLEX!! Modding never ends and I am sure I will be busy for the next two to three years!!
Old 04-24-04, 04:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

So I finally did my first bed-in-cylcle of the big brakes this morning! (the car is not driven that much, so I had not put that much mileage on the car before I did this).

I followed the instructions you pasted in Dave! It was scary at first as I have never done this procedure before, but after the the first two hard applications of the brake pedal, I got braver and got the hang of it!

It was strange to see all that smoke billowing out of the brakes plus the burnt smell of pads coming from the front!

I found a deserted road near my house and followed the instructions Dave pasted in here to the letter. Interestingly enough, the brakes feel exactly the same as described in the post - noticeably not as firm as I would expect them to feel. However, a second bed-in cycle is recommended to get that firm pedal feel. I will do this again early tomorrow morning on the same road!

One strange thing I noticed (and this is probably due to the fact that I had driven the car for a good 250 miles before I performed this procedure) is that the pad material that seemed to have deposited on the rotors before the bed-in cycle only seems to be have burned off from about 1 inch inwards from the outer edge of the rotor face and NOT the whole rotor face. My guess is that the first bed-in cycle was not enough and hopefully the second one I perform tomorrow will burn off the rest of the visible pad material.

I know that the bed-in cycle is supposed to deposit a thin layer of pad material on the rotors, but the deposit I am referring to (that occured before the bed-in cycle) appears to be different. I can actually see it on the rotor face.

Anyway, after tomorrow's bed-in cycle, I will know if my guess is correct.
Old 07-27-04, 06:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Default The cooling fins on this differential are massive! (56K not friendly)

I couldn't sell the car, so I said "what the heck, let the modding continue!"

The pics tell the story!

Pics 1 and 2 going up on the surgeons lift!

Pics 3 and 4 - OEM rear diff (the mufflers and Tom's LCB have already been removed)

Pic 5 - OEM rear diff is gone!

Pic 6 - OEM rear diff

Pic 7 - 1999 Supra TT 3.76 gear rear diff with LSD (the new toy!!). Look at those massive cooling fins!!! eek! Compare it to the OEM diff that has ZERO cooling fins.

Pic 8 - on the car!

Anybody need an OEM rear diff in perfect working condition? (Hint to FI GS owners - can you say "spare diff"?)
Here is the OEM diff in the classifieds

I just drove back home with the OEM diff in the car plus both of my kids (approximately 200lbs extra weight in the car) and I didn't really gun the car, however there is a distinct difference in acceleration from 0 - 30 mph. Absolutely no question about that!

I will post more feedback in the next day or two when I get a chance to really test it!

Last edited by Hameed; 07-27-04 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 07:45 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see your keeping your car.. Now you have a beautiful house and car..
Old 07-27-04, 07:52 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hameed.....glad you decided to keep the car and still be part of the family. I know the situation you are in. I too decided to keep the car as so much work went into it that you will never get the true value out.

I am heading down to SRT to get my work done this weekend. I have gotton several runs in with 0-60mph and 1/4mi runs. I am hoping to best my time by .5seconds after the TC install.
I will post a separate thread on this when I come back.

Do tell your experience on the gearing swap. Is it a great mod...or something to get later?
Old 07-27-04, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's very yummy hameed, awesome dude
Old 07-27-04, 12:45 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on your decison
Old 07-27-04, 01:55 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I like your way of thinking Hameed!!
If you can't sell the car, just mod it further.
Old 07-27-04, 02:55 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always love how you take pics when you put in new items

cant wait to hear how this works out for you

congrats man

i hope you give a detailed write up

johnny
Old 07-27-04, 03:42 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Truly nice to hear that you decided to keep the car. And keep modding.
Old 07-27-04, 06:53 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So glad to see you could keep your car AND get your new house too! Congrats...
Yeah, I noticed the difference in the two housings too. And besides the extra heat sink fins, the TT LSD diff also has a larger "sump" area on the bottom toward the front of the housing (for more lube I assume).
When you get a chance, turn off the VSC and check out the kind of power you can put down in the corners!
What a difference the lower gears combined with the LSD makes!
Old 07-27-04, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by FutureGS400
So glad to see you could keep your car AND get your new house too! Congrats...
Yeah, I noticed the difference in the two housings too. And besides the extra heat sink fins, the TT LSD diff also has a larger "sump" area on the bottom toward the front of the housing (for more lube I assume).
When you get a chance, turn off the VSC and check out the kind of power you can put down in the corners!
What a difference the lower gears combined with the LSD makes!
just make sure you dont' lose control, hha
Old 07-28-04, 06:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by johnee78
Glad to see your keeping your car.. Now you have a beautiful house and car..
Thanks bro!
Originally posted by DrewGS4
Hameed.....glad you decided to keep the car and still be part of the family. I know the situation you are in. I too decided to keep the car as so much work went into it that you will never get the true value out.

I am heading down to SRT to get my work done this weekend. I have gotton several runs in with 0-60mph and 1/4mi runs. I am hoping to best my time by .5seconds after the TC install.
I will post a separate thread on this when I come back.

Do tell your experience on the gearing swap. Is it a great mod...or something to get later?
Thanks Drew! Yes, it is not worth selling the car considering how much effort I have put into it.

Congrats on the decision to install the TC. It's interesting to see how some of you GS gurus have waited so long (especially you since you are very much performance oriented) to install the TC! I plan on doing the same install in another two to three weeks too.

I have not had much time to drive the car since Monday. It's been raining cats and dogs since then. I will post a detailed write up on my feedback in a couple of days.
Originally posted by rominl
that's very yummy hameed, awesome dude
Yummy??? It looks kind of dirty to me bro!

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003