UseeF20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats your username! Haha
Old 10-12-14, 06:34 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got tired of my tires rubbing on my fenders so I decided to ramp up my spring rates. As I've said before I have 14/10 now, decided to buy a set of 1000# (~18k) front springs and move my fronts to the rear for a final rate of 18/14k. Also the rear spring would be going from 220mm to 200mm so I was hoping that would reduce the amount I had to lower the rear perch below zero preload to get the ride height I wanted.

Originally I was gonna order some Eibach ERS springs but after some research decided to go with a pair of Hypercoils. They're a pretty respected brand and if its good enough for Indy cars I'm pretty sure the Lexus could handle it (http://www.hypercoils.com/).

Here is a pic of the difference between the stock BC (left) and Hypercoil (right) spring, as you can see they wind their springs with less coils much like the Swifts. Thats one of the reasons I went with them over the Eibachs, also they were $30 cheaper

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-mwyqzhil.jpg

The height diff between 200mm and 8" is minuscule as shown by this pic so if you ever need to replace BC/Megan/whatever you can do it without having to get their subpar springs or shelling out big bucks for super JDM Swift springs (ID will be 2.5").

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-j18m2jcl.jpg

Taking apart the coilover wasn't difficult either since they maybe only had a couple thousand miles on them. Now if I were to just do the spring swap I would've been done in no time but heck since they're out might aswell completely take them apart and clean them.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-lgbirswl.jpg

I will say though that even with so few miles I still had issues, the rears on mine were especially dirty which made it hard to take off the lower shock mount b/c of all the crud that had accumulated.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-1hsyccul.jpg

About a month ago I ran 4 AWG power wire to the trunk to hook up my sub and amp. Upon taking my wheel off this greeted me, so that was the slight burning smell every so often

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-n36v2wll.jpg

So off to HF I went to get their hydraulic crimper which I'd have to say was the best $40 (with a 20% off coupon of course) I ever spent. Made the job MUCH EASIER and did a fantastic job of crimping the 4 AWG butt connectors I bought.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-zvezvzgl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-2i3r3tvl.jpg

I also redid my battery fuse, I didn't like the way the one I had just used a set screw to hold the wire on so I bought a bigger one that utilized ring terminals to make it a more solid connection.

For the past 7 months I've been driving without a back seat since I didn't want to put them back in until I installed my system and dampening extenders, well the sub is in so that just left the adjusters!

I sorta guesstimated the height I needed them to be since I couldn't remember how far up the headrests went. Needless to say I can barely remember what happened yesterday let alone 7 months ago. It was pretty easy to cut them, had to use a cut off wheel since the actual cable is steel and the plastic wrapping around it is metal aswell. Just remember that the inner cable needs to be longer than the plastic sheathing.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-d8vtgbxl.jpg

Not the best pic but you can see how far it sticks out. I installed the seats yesterday and have to say that length was pretty spot on, just about the same height as the headrests if they're down all the way

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-q3zbqnel.jpg
Old 10-12-14, 06:45 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Annnd finally some shots of it in its current state:

Name:  jVcqg5yl.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  67.7 KB

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-uamqayfl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-ylozhrrl.jpg
Old 10-13-14, 06:01 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What front grill is that, looks similar but different to my BRAVE grill i got from FSP...

car looks great man.
Old 10-13-14, 07:40 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

looks great, surprised your power wire actually got frayed first before the tire made contact with that inner seam aka tire guillotine! that means your power wire is actually hanging too low! glad you got it sorted.

how does the car ride with the new springs?
Old 10-13-14, 09:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The car looks really good.
Old 10-14-14, 05:54 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
What front grill is that, looks similar but different to my BRAVE grill i got from FSP...

car looks great man.
Thanks, big fan of your car aswell! Didn't get it from FSP, it's just a $15 DIY. Got details on how I did it earlier in the build thread, closer pic: https://i.imgur.com/0qjTJam.jpg

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
looks great, surprised your power wire actually got frayed first before the tire made contact with that inner seam aka tire guillotine! that means your power wire is actually hanging too low! glad you got it sorted.

how does the car ride with the new springs?
I actually had it tucked above the frame horn, no clue how it got knocked down but got it on there more securely now.

The ride isn't too bad its just a little stiffer than before. The car is so big and heavy you'd really have to get super super stiff rates to get a jarring ride like a GTI or civic. It can get a bit bouncy on successive large bumps though, I chalk that up to still having to run < zero preload on the rear and I'm also out of the "safe" range on my shock valving. Pretty sure its mostly the preload cause it seems to be the rear, not that happy with my BC's overall but whatever you live and learn.

Originally Posted by sha4000
The car looks really good.
Thanks man I really appreciate it!

Last edited by TMAdash1; 10-14-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 06:15 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

I finally decided to take my car to a meet and introduce myself to some people. Had an awesome time, kinda wish I started doing that earlier in the year since now there probably won't be many because of the weather

Some more shots of the car by others, you can tell cause they're actually decent compared to the ones I take.

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-rs7nbpyl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-mckdiiql.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-9p9zfwpl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-s4ek8xbl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-qs5actwl.jpg
Old 11-24-14, 11:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

^ love it! the background really highlights the cars.
Old 11-24-14, 11:19 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Great write up bro.. good amount of details and pictures in it..
Old 12-08-14, 08:09 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
^ love it! the background really highlights the cars.

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Great write up bro.. good amount of details and pictures in it..
Thanks man! I try to set it up as if I were the person reading it, I'm hoping I put enough info that if anyone wanted to do what I did they would have it.

Took a couple pics tonight after throwing on my 17" steelies in the front, maybe its just me but I really like the steelie look....

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-bbwxl8il.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-f4cmrnzl.jpg
Old 12-09-14, 11:11 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TMAdash1

Thanks man! I try to set it up as if I were the person reading it, I'm hoping I put enough info that if anyone wanted to do what I did they would have it.

Took a couple pics tonight after throwing on my 17" steelies in the front, maybe its just me but I really like the steelie look....

Wait steelies with BBK? Running spacers?

I like the look, but too bad as I already went with the oem wheels for winter.
Old 12-09-14, 06:32 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Originally Posted by lchouinard
Wait steelies with BBK? Running spacers?

I like the look, but too bad as I already went with the oem wheels for winter.
Yep they're actually Cragars I got off Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-83-7714

I did have to run 1" spacers though, I was hoping the fact that they were FWD wheels with a +38 et I'd be good but that wasn't the case. Of course in hindsight I didn't even need them since the spacer moved the wheel out so much my stocks cleared my tie rod but, oh well
Old 12-27-14, 05:00 PM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Sadly, the Lexus has passed onto a new owner. I came across a trade I couldn't refuse and took the car back to stock.

Heres a pic right before I sent her off to her new owner

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-9gngq09l.jpg

It was sad getting rid of the car, went through a lot with it in the short 1.5 yrs I had it. It was nice to have a vision for a car and see it fully through. I'll def miss rolling around town in it, never had a car that got so much attention before, the stares were priceless

So what did I trade it for? An 87 GTS (gotta keep it in the Toyota family!!)

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-lsm1acdl.jpg

First foray into LexusWorld, UCF21 build-mpwy38el.jpg

I had a mint 85 SR-5 hatch about 6 years ago and always told myself I'd get another but a coupe (personally I like the coupes better). Its in pretty good shape considering its a 27 yr old Corolla, PO kept good care of it. Anxious to start the build with this car and see where it takes me!!

Anyway just wanted to thank anyone whose helped me on this journey, everyone has always been super helpful to me. Eventually I would like to get another LS, who knows maybe sooner then later as my clapped out Camry daily might soon be on its way out