Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

JDMV8 "Build" Thread/Progression: Dec. 2011 - Present

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 02:43 PM
spollack93
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, just went through your build thread, FN amazing bro and congrats on all you accomplishments! Very impressed with your F, so sick. I'm also thinking about going to see the boys at RR-Racing for a tune/ecu upgrade and a possible PPE header pair with the tune. I already have the Apexi Intake, and a the Greddy full Ti exhaust so I'm a bit hesitant to move forward with headers based on your review of the "smell" issue. It'd be pretty tough to add high flow cats unless I use a sleeve type setup as you cant really "weld" in those cats on a Titanium exhaust system (so I understand).

I'll be headed down to the OC car show this June, you should def come. Its a blast and I was the only F there last year. I think a couple folks from the forum will be headed down but it'd be great to see a bunch of F's on the beach in OC. Great work man, cant wait to see what you do next!

Sean
Old 05-08-17, 03:03 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by spollack93
Wow, just went through your build thread, FN amazing bro and congrats on all you accomplishments! Very impressed with your F, so sick. I'm also thinking about going to see the boys at RR-Racing for a tune/ecu upgrade and a possible PPE header pair with the tune. I already have the Apexi Intake, and a the Greddy full Ti exhaust so I'm a bit hesitant to move forward with headers based on your review of the "smell" issue. It'd be pretty tough to add high flow cats unless I use a sleeve type setup as you cant really "weld" in those cats on a Titanium exhaust system (so I understand).

I'll be headed down to the OC car show this June, you should def come. Its a blast and I was the only F there last year. I think a couple folks from the forum will be headed down but it'd be great to see a bunch of F's on the beach in OC. Great work man, cant wait to see what you do next!

Sean
Hi Sean.

I really would recommend headers (given that your conscience is in the right place to go catless as are your prospects to pass emissions/inspection). You'll never get that rotten egg smell again...just the fumes of glorious gasoline
Nice snag on the Greddy Ti, too.
I actually haven't been to a car show for a long time, and OC sounds ideal. I think I'll attend that. Maybe check out the VIR open track day schedule too (hopefully the show coincides with a track day +/- a day).
-Renat
The following users liked this post:
spollack93 (05-17-17)
Old 05-08-17, 03:20 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I actually haven't been to a car show for a long time, and OC sounds ideal. I think I'll attend that. Maybe check out the VIR open track day schedule too (hopefully the show coincides with a track day +/- a day).
-Renat
Hey Renat.. Come on out to the Hooked On Driving track day at Pocono on the 21st!

-Mike
Old 05-08-17, 03:50 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

I held off on the supercharger from RR for this:

I've wanted an S2000 ever since I had this as a nine year old:

From 1:18 to 1:1

The turn-in and overall steering response of this car is bonkers. However, the turn-in on the ISF, especially after RR bushings+Penskes is just as impressive. S2k does take the cake for steering feel, though.
I guess the AP1 is the closest I'll get to the LFA for a while...
Old 05-08-17, 04:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

awesome pick up. I'm buying an s2k as well in the next 6 months as well. we have similar taste.
Old 05-08-17, 04:45 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
awesome pick up. I'm buying an s2k as well in the next 6 months as well. we have similar taste.
Yes, and I also had a VQ35 like you too
You'll love this car...I don't even think I'm going to mod it like I did the F and Evo (it is obligatory to mod an Evo, though).
Are you going for AP1 or AP2?
Old 05-08-17, 05:19 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Hey Renat.. Come on out to the Hooked On Driving track day at Pocono on the 21st!

-Mike
Hey Mike!
I almost pulled the trigger on registering (thanks to Rafi). I'm holding off since I prepare students for the SATs every Sunday, and don't want to skip the last few Sundays before the test!
I'm looking forward to a VIR event with all the Fs this summer. All we need is one person and some impetus to set it off such an event here. Maybe we should all tap Rafi on the shoulder...
Old 05-08-17, 05:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes, and I also had a VQ35 like you too
You'll love this car...I don't even think I'm going to mod it like I did the F and Evo (it is obligatory to mod an Evo, though).
Are you going for AP1 or AP2?
i would like AP2 . if i want to mod it rightt away, ap1 with higher miles. i want the glass rear window, more torque feel from the ap2. losing a bit of redline for a better feel is ok with me. but who knows, if i can find ap1 in good shape, i would do it. my main criteria is no rust, clean engine bay, leather seats in almost perfect condition. and paint in overall good condition. everything else can be fixed or changed out.
Old 05-08-17, 05:54 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i would like AP2 . if i want to mod it rightt away, ap1 with higher miles. i want the glass rear window, more torque feel from the ap2. losing a bit of redline for a better feel is ok with me. but who knows, if i can find ap1 in good shape, i would do it. my main criteria is no rust, clean engine bay, leather seats in almost perfect condition. and paint in overall good condition. everything else can be fixed or changed out.
Sounds the same as my shopping experience. AP2 is better because, well it's newer, so that encompasses better paint, no rust, etc. The ideal S2k is an AP2 w/the AP1 engine (basically any non-USDM AP2).
Mine has a glass rear (02+ I believe came with them); torque is totally fine. Didn't even have to downshift on highway to switch lanes and city driving feels great. In fact, I feel more torque than I do on my Evo before it's in the boost powerband.
If you plan to supercharge, the AP1 application is ideal.

Good luck with your search. Lots of the S2ks I encountered weren't up to par in person. Actually, I traveled west for this one--to Cincinatti!
The following users liked this post:
ISFPOWER (05-09-17)
Old 05-09-17, 05:31 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Mike!
I almost pulled the trigger on registering (thanks to Rafi). I'm holding off since I prepare students for the SATs every Sunday, and don't want to skip the last few Sundays before the test!
I'm looking forward to a VIR event with all the Fs this summer. All we need is one person and some impetus to set it off such an event here. Maybe we should all tap Rafi on the shoulder...
I'm definitely interested going to VIR. I've never been there. My friend Mark also wants to go, so we already have at least three IS-Fs "penciled in" for a 2017 event there.
Let's make it happen.

-Mike
Old 05-09-17, 04:22 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Love the build man, has really come together. Your newest steering wheel FTW, great taste. :cheers:
Old 05-10-17, 02:58 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I'm definitely interested going to VIR. I've never been there. My friend Mark also wants to go, so we already have at least three IS-Fs "penciled in" for a 2017 event there.
Let's make it happen.

-Mike
Time to bug Rafi...

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Love the build man, has really come together. Your newest steering wheel FTW, great taste. :cheers:
Thanks a lot
I've had way too many wheels at this point...and I'd recommend alcantara wrapping the OEM wheel. I'm partial to soft circles
Old 05-17-17, 08:10 AM
spollack93
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, nice scoop on your S2K. I used to have one of those when I was a young man. Loved that car. Really enjoyed that VTEC sound once she hit about 6300 RPM ;-)
Old 07-06-17, 04:02 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Next mod up is the Seibon vented CF hood. Thank you RR-Racing
Not bolted in; just threw it on top to see what it looks like. Getting the windshield washers hoses + nozzles secured 100% on it (requires drilling the hood for anybody interested).
Also, my driver side LED DRL strip was flickering upon any physical movement of the light (e.g. during driving, knocking on the light, etc). I discovered it to be two separately spliced wires intermittently coming into contact with one another.
Although I was diligent with wire work, a heads-up to all re-wiring the lights for the LED DRL and 50-50 low-beam function, be patient!

I'm also getting the engine plastics hydro-dipped in some CF-style pattern.
As I'm thinking to go bigger turbo on the Evo or turbo the S2k, I'm probably not supercharging the ISF, at least any time soon.
However, spray seems like a somewhat viable power-adder...OS Giken LSD coming up next! eventually... -_-
Old 07-07-17, 05:37 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good!

Did you get a nice discount on that particular one? If so, I spoke to Rafi about it as well.. However, it wasn't good time for me to spend $$ on a hood with all the track time I've been doing.

-Mike

Quick Reply: JDMV8 "Build" Thread/Progression: Dec. 2011 - Present